Happy daylight savings day! - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I like DST. Wish it just stayed there all year though instead of changing it. As far as hours worked ect., no it doesn't really make any differences, but it's nicer for kids in school and those days we put in "normal" hours, it's nicer to have the longer evenings.
Farmers work daylight dark, or way more than that without regard to what their watch says, we all get that.

To change the time for everyone because school kids get to stand in line for the bus in the daylight seems like a lame reason too. Why not just set the school hours. Nov-March school is 9 to 4. The rest of the year it's 8-3.

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
I have to live by a clock, well everyone else does. That forces me to live by a clock. I wait for businesses to open at 7 or 8am. My wife goes to work and gets back by the clock. I get phone calls by when people work. I make phone calls by when people work. I get supplies by when people work. People will often stay late in the summer but do not often answer the phone of open doors much earlier if needed. The daylight hours shift by a huge amount in this part of the world. That one hour adds to hundreds of hours in a year for me. I have never figured out why people do not like it unless they just do not like getting up in the morning. Or they have a hard time with the time change. I used to work shifts at a mine. Would go through a shift change every week or two having contract work. Since then, a schedule for me matters nothing. It is everyone else I have to work with is why I love DLS.

kevlar likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwickum View Post
I have to live by a clock, well everyone else does. That forces me to live by a clock. I wait for businesses to open at 7 or 8am. My wife goes to work and gets back by the clock. I get phone calls by when people work. I make phone calls by when people work. I get supplies by when people work. People will often stay late in the summer but do not often answer the phone of open doors much earlier if needed. The daylight hours shift by a huge amount in this part of the world. That one hour adds to hundreds of hours in a year for me. I have never figured out why people do not like it unless they just do not like getting up in the morning. Or they have a hard time with the time change. I used to work shifts at a mine. Would go through a shift change every week or two having contract work. Since then, a schedule for me matters nothing. It is everyone else I have to work with is why I love DLS.
Almost everyone who wants the clock to stop moving wants it to stop on DLS.
Getting up int he morning is fine... great...

The 1 hr change and the drag chute it deploys twice a year is what I hate about it. My Alarm goes off at 5:30 every day of the year. Why in november do I want to be there laying awake for an hour waiting on it now the time changed.

Why in the spring do I want to pop one eye open at 4:30am because the time went off in the other direction.

Yeah, after a few days we all adjust. I just say, leave it where it's at and let's stop this nonsense.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Listening to all the talk on not having Daylight Savings time (DST), I thought I should really think through how it affects a grain farmer. As was said before, associations with family, friends, hockey, curling, movies, events, etc will all carry on with respect to the clock.

Seeding, spraying, and harvest are all far better for me with DST. Without it, I would have to get up 1 hour earlier yet for seeding and spraying to take advantage of the daylight hours available, and most times I already don't like getting up at 4 or 5 am so 1 hour earlier doesn't appeal to me.

I find that if I use lights, its late into the evening, not early in the morning, and without DST it would be 1 hour worse off in that regard.

If we went to no DST, then I would want to move 1 time zone ahead, but having daybreak and cold mornings and frosty windshields all 1 hour later in winter also does not appeal to me.

So when I really think things through, daylight savings time is still the best compromise.
torriem and hondaman like this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
If you guys all tried not moving your clocks you’d figure out how much better it is.
quappelle, jogl, V876 and 2 others like this.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noacres View Post
Farmers work daylight dark, or way more than that without regard to what their watch says, we all get that.

To change the time for everyone because school kids get to stand in line for the bus in the daylight seems like a lame reason too. Why not just set the school hours. Nov-March school is 9 to 4. The rest of the year it's 8-3.
Yes farmers work long hours, but surely you don't honestly work sun up to sun down every day? Everyone has some down time in the summer, for example you hall grain and the elevator closes at five, now would you rather it got dark at 8 or 9? If you like fishing or doing anything outside, I'm sure you would say 9.

Now just think through how complicated that would be to change ONLY the school hours. I don't think I even need to try explain how bad of an idea that would be. If wanting an extra hour of sunlight to play outside with my kids after school before it gets dark makes me lame, so be it.
hondaman and SWMan like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I grew up with clock changes here in Saskatchewan until Ross Thatcher said no more of this nonsense. Then I saw it again while working seismic in Alberta, NWT and BC. In Saskatchewan, we always know what time it is. Arizona time is always on Saskatchewan time too, so it's convenient for the snowbirds.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
I understand the problem. It does not bother me a bit. When I wake up doesn't matter to me a bit. I wake up at 2am to spray if needed. I wake up at 7am if I want to do nothing. I just don't go to bed at all some nights during seeding. May catch an hour or two here and there in the truck if needed. My mine shift work got me programmed to not mind a schedule change at all.

I have read about a time when many slept twice a day for much shorter time periods and did great. I think I would prefer that. If I get over 8 hours of sleep I feel horrible for the rest of the day. 2-4 hours at a time would be great. Often do that in the summer. 2-4 hours of sleep after dark then 1 hour or even 15 minutes of sleep in the middle of the day. I used to skip that nap but found it makes me much more productive. I do have to lay down in on a comfortable bed in a quiet room to really get rested. I can wake up feeling like I just got drugged with something amazing. A tingling lightweight and alert feeling. Does wonders for energy and stress on me.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Pretty sure Arizona is MST all year, and Sask is CST, one hour later.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
Pretty sure Arizona is MST all year, and Sask is CST, one hour later.
I stand corrected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page