Saskatchewan hockey team bus/truck crash kills 16 - Page 22 - The Combine Forum
 529Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
I did my test in Lloydminster about 3 years ago. While the written wasn't easy, if you spent time carefully reading the required material, it was quite comprehensive of the material.

The driven test too. So many ways to just end the exam and you go home. Drove thru city and I felt it tested extremely well my knowledge of driving, rules of the road, backing up, etc.

Pre trip also, very detailed and if you do all required takes 45 minutes minimum. Every step had a check box.

Some drivers require 3 or 4 attempts. I took additional driving only training with Lakeland college for a few hours to ensure I also never picked up bad habits.

Given all that, and the professionalism and knowledge of the driving tester guy, I can't see how anyone without showing required skills would ever get their license.

Also, companies make good money by having you come back again so there is that incentive.

Can drivers 'slip' thru? Or is every driver required to be as rigorously tested as I was from every testing facility? Because from my experience passing the test demonstrates plenty of skill and knowledge.

kevlar likes this.
post #212 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Just a cute story, nothing to do with the thread.
Those long enough in Alberta will remember when we changed from letter to number based license classifications.
When I received my new licence ď6Ē was missing, the old motorcycle endorsement.
Hmm, guess Iíll just drop by the examiners office in Three Hills, see what to do.
Handed him both my old and new license.
Checks it out, says ďYou are correct. I will give you your 6 and based on the strength of your old C Iíll rise this 5 to 3.
30 seconds. Tops!
The good old low bureaucratic way!

post #213 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
There was a driving school in Calgary years ago, I think '02 or '05, that was owned and operated by some for the lack a better term "new Canadians". They were found to have been turning out class one drivers with little to no training. It refreshed my memory of this story when I saw a link to the story on Facebook yesterday, I will see if I can find that link and post it if anyone is interested. It could be possible that this type of training facility has been operating again. Lets hope thats not the case.I think their idea was that they would drive in teams and get some experience that way.
post #214 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Just a cute story, nothing to do with the thread.
Those long enough in Alberta will remember when we changed from letter to number based license classifications.
When I received my new licence ď6Ē was missing, the old motorcycle endorsement.
Hmm, guess Iíll just drop by the examiners office in Three Hills, see what to do.
Handed him both my old and new license.
Checks it out, says ďYou are correct. I will give you your 6 and based on the strength of your old C Iíll rise this 5 to 3.
30 seconds. Tops!
The good old low bureaucratic way!
I remember my mother saying that all she had to do to get her license was go down to the office and pick one up. Years later in her 60's she had to renew and was terribly worried she would have to do a driving test. She didn't, but would have easily passed, never did know of her ever getting a ticket or having so much as a fender bender.
post #215 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
I did my test in Lloydminster about 3 years ago. While the written wasn't easy, if you spent time carefully reading the required material, it was quite comprehensive of the material.

The driven test too. So many ways to just end the exam and you go home. Drove thru city and I felt it tested extremely well my knowledge of driving, rules of the road, backing up, etc.

Pre trip also, very detailed and if you do all required takes 45 minutes minimum. Every step had a check box.

Some drivers require 3 or 4 attempts. I took additional driving only training with Lakeland college for a few hours to ensure I also never picked up bad habits.

Given all that, and the professionalism and knowledge of the driving tester guy, I can't see how anyone without showing required skills would ever get their license.

Also, companies make good money by having you come back again so there is that incentive.

Can drivers 'slip' thru? Or is every driver required to be as rigorously tested as I was from every testing facility? Because from my experience passing the test demonstrates plenty of skill and knowledge.
I would say yes, drivers can slip through.

I got my licesnse when I was 20, I had been hired on for a short part of a custom harvest run in the states to drive truck. Owners of the crew were friends of the family so they said they’d get me my class 1. I’d grown up driving trucks on the farm but had no formal training. Took my air brakes course, wrote my learners, went for a couple hauls with some other drivers on the crew, practiced in the yard then went to take the driver test a week later.

Wasn’t even let in the truck, I didn’t have a clue about the pre trip, was no where near thorough enough.

Two day later retook the test. I did study very hard in those two days, but that yellow light that was boarder line if I could have stopped for(I am pretty sure I couldn’t have) always made me wonder if I was getting that license no matter what. The owner of the crew seemed to know the tester fairly well...

I’m a decent trucker now, no super trucker by any means, but I didn’t have a clue when I started, just bad habits learned on the farm. Let me tell ya, that harvest run was trial by fire and I was pretty nervous the entire time. So stupid in retrospect.
post #216 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
I purposely truck with just my tandem just for the very reason I dont want to be lumbering down the road with huge heavy loads. When I need more hauling, I just hire it done and I always make sure the trucker has proper instructions how to get around out there. Sometimes I even follow him for a few miles after he has left the yard to make sure he on the right track.

I have had very experienced drivers get in trouble too. Twice truckers have jack-knifed on my yard approach. One guy was empty so wasnt hard to get him rolling. Other guys had a HC sprayer and a couple thousand gal of water on board. He had to be unloaded first and my 4wd used to hold the sprayer from tipping while he got it off the deck.
post #217 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
At one time in Manitoba ( done away with now but I was of driving age ) if you went in to do a driving test for a higher class and failed you left with no license of any kind you then had to start from scratch . It definitely discouraged drivers from just seeing if I can pass .
post #218 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksn View Post
Iím a decent trucker now
As long as only involves an F-150, me too!
post #219 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
I think itís time that the provinces in this country make it tougher for any new immigrant to get a commercial license to drive a semi. Havenít met one yet that has displayed any skills required to safely drive a loaded super B in our winter conditions.
I agree. From what I've seen these "new Canadians " are thrown into situations where they are completely overwhelmed by the situations they are placed into and nowhere near ready. Basically set up to fail.
We had a guy deliver a cattle handling setup last year with b train flat decks. One squeeze and alley on each deck. After having to go driving around to find him (couldn't barely speak English and unable to follow directions) we get him to yard and the retards who loaded it had put ours on front trailer. The other one on back was going to Calgary area somewhere. We get ours unloaded and this guy is in a panic to get going but we are trying to tell him it's a bad plan to drive like that. He wants to just go 9 hours with nothing on the front trailer and the back loaded. Basically had to unstrap the thing ourselves and move it to the front trailer while this guy is angry and on the phone with somebody. I didn't care how mad he was just couldn't let him leave the yard like that. Somebody would have been killed for sure. Then he couldn't get up the slight hill to get out where we unloaded so hooked on with tractor to pull him and for some reason he cranks the wheels sideways while we r pulling him straight forward. The whole thing was completely insane. It doesn't matter where your from and what colour your skin is people like this shouldn't be in semis without more training. Speaking passable English is another thing.

To the original topic the accident was beyond terrible. I lost a family member in a car accident and would not wish that situation on my worst enemy.
post #220 of 396 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Here is an example of what was going on years back as pertaining to this article, one can well imagine there are still some grey area's where some drivers are slipping through because of who the driver school and examiner is and who the person being tested is. In the case of this driver instructor company who also had the ability to issue the exam, it was so bad that it just screamed out and why all the resources were used to finally shut them down. The fact is in this case it was all about where the driver was from so call it racial or country profiling but the fact is, it was the fact.

https://www.trucknews.com/features/c...ed-with-fraud/

Brian, your right that with the proper non biased examiner there is no way a severely under equipped/trained/knowledged person would ever pass a class 1 in the situation you experienced and glad to hear there are examiners out there who give a proper exam.

Now in other commercial ventures such as taxi drivers, locally in Grande Prairie as an example its a gong show with idiots behind the wheel, they drive like maniacs and and cut other drivers off, most likely how they were accustomed to back in their home country, its totally unsafe and a reason why they are involved in so many wrecks around town. It used to be a professional and trusted service, and a trust for the person themselves who drove the taxi to ensure your safety in a variety of ways ( that becomes a whole other topic ) .

We have introduced some major safety issues to our country on our roads because of certain immigrants that have a totally different outlook to how they conduct themselves, they are driving by their own mind set of rules when they think they can get away with it, not our rules of the road or equipment safety standards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page