Predict global warming - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
Y'all need to relax. If rising CO2 levels are actually bad, most of the people on the face of the earth will die off in the near future which will cause emissions to drop, thus allowing the earth to correct itself.

I do not believe in evolution to the point that we came form monkeys, but I do believe that we, along with every other living thing in the world, will either get tough or die.

A handful of governments taxing the people while other countries keep cranking out pollution will make the problem worse by driving manufacturing to places where they can create more pollution.

Also, IMO, everything the EPA has done to combustion engines has made the problem worse. If I take a smogged down diesel pickup that gets ~ 18MPG stock and delete it, it will get over 22 MPG with a slight increase in NOx and maybe particulate emissions all the while decreasing total emissions by causing less oil to be pumped out of the ground, less oil to be transported and refined, less fuel to be transported, etc.

If you want to do something for the environment AND the people, get rid of ALL emission regulations and offer vehicle manufactures tax credits for meeting high fuel economy standards.

But I think that OPEC and the likes are in bed with the EPA and environmental movement so any reason to pump more oil is a plus...

In short, yes, we have a problem. That being said, there is not a single country on the face of this earth that has actually done anything to help the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
While putting another coat of paint on my truck, I kept mulling over that article again.

It goes back again to one of my earlier posts:

Quote:
itís a safe bet that somebody in a lab coat with a prestigious title will appear on the media insisting that everythingís all right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09071e760c8f26242d2eec5ed5a598f2.jpg (35.3 KB, 3 views)

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Keep in mind that the tobacco industry along with the government stood to make a lot of money along with the medial system off the backs of people by pretending it was a safe product, another words who stood to gain and who stood to loose.

Put that into the environmental context and who stands to gain by taxing us with carbon taxes or other taxes of the like because they are telling the masses its bad bad bad.

It almost seems like one should think the opposite, if the government agency's say something is good be skeptical of it, on the other had if they claim from mysteriously one sided scientific answers from their ( actually we are paying ) paid scientists that something is bad and that we must pay the price, certainly question that as well as highly suspicious.
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
You've got that Backwards
The same ad agency's who worked for the tobacco industry are now working for industry to discredit Climate change
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
I'm going to pick and choose a few things to try to answer as I only have a few minutes.

Earth didn't right itself to be mankind friendly. We filled an available niche and righted ourselves to be earth-friendly.
So if the earth changes again then presumably we will evolve to fill that niche as well.

What-Ifs don't really count in this situation. Right now we are dealing in tangibles: average global temperature is on the rise(recent talks that it seems to be a non-linear rate), ice-masses are melting, sea levels are rising, oceans are acidifying, weather patterns are changing, CO2 concentrations are soaring. If you look at recent history, industrialization most massive change in the last 400 years. We're releasing billions upon billions of tonnes of CO2(among other things) into the atmosphere that were stored in oil deposits for many millions of years. Also, poor farming practices have released much that was in the form of soil organic matter. It could be random chance that these changes are happening, but that would be a pretty large coincidence and I don't believe in coincidence.
What if's do count, if it helps people to put all of this into perspective.
BTW I'm not suggesting in any way that we should continue to pollute our planet and I do want to be able to breathe clean air.
I agree that poor farming practices have released much carbon from our soils.

Simplistically, the carbon was used to make organic matter. It was then sequestrated in the form of hydrocarbons and fossils. This process took likely millions of years, though, I don't know the times off hand, though.
Agreed! The process is ongoing and part of a cycle that appears to be self correcting if studies of atmospheric carbon levels of the past are to be used as any indication.
Carbon released as CO2 feeds plants, while most of the excess is reabsorbed by the ocean where it is stored in marine creatures and vegetation.

Opportunity doesn't knock! It presents it'self when you beat down the door!
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post

A handful of governments taxing the people while other countries keep cranking out pollution will make the problem worse by driving manufacturing to places where they can create more pollution.

Also, IMO, everything the EPA has done to combustion engines has made the problem worse. If I take a smogged down diesel pickup that gets ~ 18MPG stock and delete it, it will get over 22 MPG with a slight increase in NOx and maybe particulate emissions all the while decreasing total emissions by causing less oil to be pumped out of the ground, less oil to be transported and refined, less fuel to be transported, etc.

If you want to do something for the environment AND the people, get rid of ALL emission regulations and offer vehicle manufactures tax credits for meeting high fuel economy standards.

In short, yes, we have a problem. That being said, there is not a single country on the face of this earth that has actually done anything to help the problem.

I can agree with some of your statements. Having one country follow the rules while the other ones "industrialize" and catch up is a poor way of doing things, but I haven't heard or thought of a better way if we are to do something about this problem (assuming for sake of argument that climate change is a human controlled problem...)

While the EPA is a corrupt branch of government, but we need something or some accountability in place. If the emission regs hadn't been put in place I highly doubt common rail injection systems would have been invented. all of our tractors and pickups would have a bosch inline pump. Not a bad living, but in a span of 10 + years common rail engines have been proven themselves with power and fuel efficiency in my opinion. I know how emissions systems affect the bottom line of a farm when they have issues out of warranty and I know modern pickups with pick up a few MPGs when deleted, but air pollution is real. go to China, India, or any large city in the middle east. Shut yourself in a quonset with a running JD 4020 for a few minutes... I could go with AG equipment being exempt from emission regs as it would make my life easier and probably more dollars in my pocket.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Have you looked at the accuracy (or total lack of) to pretty much EVERY projection made in support of the devastating results of rising CO2 was going to do in the last 10 years or so?. "projection" is just another word for "guess".
We don't have to even look at the projection. Current average CO2 levels are double what they were 200 years ago, and we know the general trend. We don't know the slope exactly, nor what will happen in the near future, except that it will continue to get higher. What we also really don't know is the effect of the extra CO2 on our food crops. We know that CO2 promotes plant growth, but does that translate into higher yields, more nutrition? Right now the research is casting doubt on that. Yields don't seem to be increasing with increased CO2 and nutritional content (proteins, vitamins) seem to be decreasing. Perhaps the CO2 means the plant puts more energy into growing rather than seed production.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
Nuclear fission. By far the most efficient energy source available. Convenient, well not so much. No greenhouse gas emissions.
Definitely not currently convenient. And the fear of nuclear power is widespread, given high-profile, devastating nuclear accidents like Fukushima. Nevermind that the odds of dying from cancer from radiation exposure are less than dying from exposure to coal fire pollution. And there's the waste problem, which is solvable, except that world leaders seem to be paranoid of the potential for nuclear weapons.

The nuclear process itself is free of greenhouse gas emissions, but the production of the uranium fuel most certainly isn't. But I think the amount of CO2 the mines would emit would be a fraction of what our current power plants and mines emit.

Although coal is dying due to economic and political reasons, I still empathize with the coal plant workers here in Alberta who have kept our lights on for decades.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Looking at ALL of the evidence presented as well as the human nature component AND the response by government, it is pretty clear in my mind that AGW is a hoax.
I hope that you are right and I can laugh at myself in the years to come.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
The problem is that while CO2-driven climate change is a long term problem, NOx and particulates are an immediate and major problem for human health. Not on the farm as much, but in cities where it gets concentrated it is a real killer. California cities like LA and San Francisco were renowned for their smog. On weekends when the diesel trucks were parked, air quality improved dramatically. It's these vehicles in those environments that the EPA has targeted. We're just caught up by the rules even though our own contribution to the smog problem is minuscule by comparison.

I also question whether these regulations are effective, but for different reasons than you give. Most of these NOx treatment systems only work when the engine warms up. Many city vehicles travel for short distances and hence the system never really activates fully.

But you're oh so right that regulations, however well-intended, have unintended side effects, or just consequences in general. In the EU they have passed regulations governing the size and power consumption of common house-hold appliances like vacuum cleaners. So now new vacuum cleaners are half the power of the older ones. All to "save energy." Except that they clearly don't. The same job takes twice as long, so no energy is actually saved.

1972RedNeck likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page