Predict global warming - The Combine Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Predict global warming

Yeah try telling that to most of the prairies eh, I like how they think they can predict global warming. When you check the weather and look at their forcast it changes everyday and they think they can predict the future!!!

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Day to day weather isn't what determines evidence of climate change. Outliers will happen in any system. It is long term(or short term by geological standpoints) averages that determine if the climate is changing and the evidence that it is anthropogenic in nature.

Every time we get a day or week that is below average in temperature someone comes out of the woodwork touting that climate change, and more specifically anthropogenic climate change, is a made up liberal crock. Unfortunately, as much as I wish it was, it doesn't appear to be.

Long term trends are easier and most likely more accurate than specific temperatures for a given date. The amounts of temperature we're talking on average across Earth is only a couple degrees C.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
Day to day weather isn't what determines evidence of climate change. Outliers will happen in any system. It is long term(or short term by geological standpoints) averages that determine if the climate is changing and the evidence that it is anthropogenic in nature.

Every time we get a day or week that is below average in temperature someone comes out of the woodwork touting that climate change, and more specifically anthropogenic climate change, is a made up liberal crock. Unfortunately, as much as I wish it was, it doesn't appear to be.

Long term trends are easier and most likely more accurate than specific temperatures for a given date. The amounts of temperature we're talking on average across Earth is only a couple degrees C.
It is hard to take agenda's, hypocrisies, and emotion out of this discussion. Everytime someone on either side of the argument starts spouting off I always ask: where are you getting your information? If you look into some of the larger oil companies and corporations and see where their future investments are going you'll see that no matter what happens they win...

Carbon content is going up (atmospheric carbon while sadly soil carbon is going down), sea levels are rising, but i'm not sold yet on the "extreme weather" scare tactics that some use as an indicator. If someone wants to blame this on the wobble of the Earth on its axis or some mars to Neptune slingshot with black matter interfering with solar radation then so be it. Just don't tell me A) it isn't happening, or B) we as stewards of the earth/ God's children created in his image are not capable of inflicting harm on our world.

Scientists as some would wisely point out usually will have some sort of political slant based upon upbringing or funding of their projects, but ultimately the pursuit of the truth and solving the mysteries of the world will trump any biases.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
OH GOOD! A global warming thread!!!
lynas, Cleancut, kevlar and 1 others like this.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The Earth will keep warming up until it starts cooling off again. Meanwhile, the governments of this planet have found a new way to control/tax it's people.
440duster, lynas, hihi962 and 4 others like this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
It is hard to take agenda's, hypocrisies, and emotion out of this discussion. Everytime someone on either side of the argument starts spouting off I always ask: where are you getting your information? If you look into some of the larger oil companies and corporations and see where their future investments are going you'll see that no matter what happens they win...

Carbon content is going up (atmospheric carbon while sadly soil carbon is going down), sea levels are rising, but i'm not sold yet on the "extreme weather" scare tactics that some use as an indicator. If someone wants to blame this on the wobble of the Earth on its axis or some mars to Neptune slingshot with black matter interfering with solar radation then so be it. Just don't tell me A) it isn't happening, or B) we as stewards of the earth/ God's children created in his image are not capable of inflicting harm on our world.

Scientists as some would wisely point out usually will have some sort of political slant based upon upbringing or funding of their projects, but ultimately the pursuit of the truth and solving the mysteries of the world will trump any biases.

There is a book I listened to recently called Dark Age America: Climate Change, Cultural Collapse, and the Hard Future Ahead (https://books.google.ca/books/about/...AJ&redir_esc=y) that is probably one of the best, most horrible, eye-opening, frustrating, and annoying books that I have encountered recently. I don't know if I overly like the book or not. It is quite cynical about human history and more specifically human nature.

He does mention a great point in regards to the way public trust in science has failed. This quote has to do with the medical industry, but can be extrapolated to all technologies:
Quote:
...whenever some technology seems to be harming people, itís a safe bet that somebody in a lab coat with a prestigious title will appear on the media insisting that everythingís all right. Some of the time, the person in the lab coat is correct, but itís happened often enough that everything was not all right that the trust once reposed in scientific experts is getting noticeably threadbare these days.
He also mentions that the early arguments and division within the scientific community in the 70s and 80s about us heading towards an ice age haven't done any more help towards public scientific trust.

Extreme weather is actually a good indicator.

Quote:
If global temperature were increasing in a nice smooth line, in other words, we wouldnít have as much to worry about, because it would be clear from that fact that the resilience of the planetís climate system was well able to handle the changes that were in process. Once things begin to oscillate, veering outside usual conditions in both directions, thatís a sign that the limits to resilience are coming into sight, with the possibility of chaotic variability in the planetary climate as a whole waiting not far beyond that.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post

Extreme weather is actually a good indicator.
Define "extreme weather" as it contravenes historical weather.
440duster, lynas, STR1 and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
My brother is a Professor so this argument quite often comes up. They all say weather and climate are 2 different sciences as I always tell him if forecasters can't get a week out correct how do we believe what they say it will be like in 50 years. I sometimes go with him to PNG and other islands it that area and there are some low coral islands that are now under water. He pointed out that this is ocean levels rising. I asked him has he heard anyone in Sydney complain about their loss of land from rising water levels? The answer was no. Do these levels rise evenly across the globe or do some areas rise more than others? The earth has always and will always change. Sure we are not helping but every person on this earth is responsible and to blame as we all contribute to "Climate Change".
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrod View Post
The earth has always and will always change.
A concept that the GREENIE movement fundamentally fails to grasp!
kevlar and 48MackEQT like this.

Opportunity doesn't knock! It presents it'self when you beat down the door!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Define "extreme weather" as it contravenes historical weather.
Extreme weather isn't a great term, Chaotic Weather would be more apt. It is supposed to refer to the number and severity of weather events. Could be thunderstorms, hurricanes, rain systems, or lack of the aforementioned. Sudden oscillations from very dry to very wet, also. You did somewhat answer your own statement, though.

torriem likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page