Truck mirrors - The Combine Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Truck mirrors

The other day I was pissed off with no pickup around to hook on the gooseneck and I'm flat out tired of beating up overpriced pickups.

We have an old binder (84 model s1754, 9L, 5sp) we picked up years ago for almost nothing on an online sale.
It's rather low miled and runs and drives perfectly but its deteriorating.
It no longer suited us anymore because we use to haul around a 1500 gal tank and seed on it for the 8 row planter we use to run. When we got the 24 row it kinda has been useless.

Last year I borrowed it out to a young rancher to haul water to his cattle during the drought. When he was done I tried to be a good neighbor and offered it to him for a 1000 bucks but he didn't take it.

It was sitting in the same spot it was parked when he got done with it and I hopped in it the other day, started right up!

Took it to the shop chopped 20" off the back of it, put a gooseneck ball on it and some other work. The bed on it was designed for some sort of tank that wasn't there when we got it so we had the fill in the middle.

So far it really isnt turning out too bad and getting excited about how well its looking without anything invested. So far have only purchased some everglass and some diamond tread sheet metal.

Going to repaint the truck, working on prepping it right now. Going to be well worth it cause when I started washing it paint flew everywhere!

One thing I quickly remembered was how much I hated the mirrors, they seem like they create a blind spot far worse than any other truck being set back.

So I have been trying to find accessories for this old girl but I seem to be coming up empty handed. Some of the things I am looking for is a set of mirrors, would like something like a pickup mirror. Somethinh like the chevys in the 80's had would be awesome.
It would be nice to find a drop visor and a chrome bumper, Texas style preferably but not necessary.

Anyone got ideas on where to look? Or a truck like this you have done up?

Planning on setting it up as a back up service truck as well with basic tools and a smaller fuel tank.

God Bless America

Last edited by SWFarmService; 11-10-2018 at 03:02 AM.
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Here is where I was at with the back half today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181109_143203.jpg (3.67 MB, 92 views)

God Bless America
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Your neighbor wouldn't buy it for a 1000 bucks! I will offer you 900. Delivered.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I will give you 1200 for it if you deliver but for real I would look around for them at semi shops or aftermarket shops
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
OK, see we have a bidding war! I will throw in a case of beer. Good Canadian beer, not that watered down swill you southerners call beer!

Good idea for using that truck, will save a lot of wear and tear on your lighter trucks, built more for the job. I see now there is cameras set up as a mirror, that way there is no mirror at all blocking your view. As usual someone beat me to the punch, years ago I thought cams would be a better idea, even make them follow the back end of the trailer so when you are turning sharp, you can see more than just the side of the trailer. Sounds like they aren't mainstream is because some states won't legalize them.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Now that it's been shortened 20" and has a ball on it.....
I got most of the hood sanded last night and one whole side of the cab to boot!

I got 3 colors of paint laying in the shop, had to do iny mini mini mo and landed on the monst obnoxious color in the shop........ Duetz Allis green, should look pretty crazy in that color but in the spring this truck will follow around the Steiger with the planter so it won't be so goofy I guess.

I dont know if I need to search for this truck in some specific way trying to find parts or what, is a 1754, says it's a S1700, and seems to fall under the loadstar name?
Dont make any sense to me.

God Bless America
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
That's funny.... I was just dreaming about doing something with my grandpas old international grain truck.... just started thinking about it a few days ago...its older than yours but newer than the picture.... I want to do something Between what your doing and what's in the picture....mqdefault_1541875343353.jpg

Keep calm and combine on....
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Now that it's been shortened 20" and has a ball on it.....
I got most of the hood sanded last night and one whole side of the cab to boot!

I got 3 colors of paint laying in the shop, had to do iny mini mini mo and landed on the monst obnoxious color in the shop........ Duetz Allis green, should look pretty crazy in that color but in the spring this truck will follow around the Steiger with the planter so it won't be so goofy I guess.

I dont know if I need to search for this truck in some specific way trying to find parts or what, is a 1754, says it's a S1700, and seems to fall under the loadstar name?
Dont make any sense to me.
1700 is the series. The 54 is specs like diesel engine, axles, etc
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
That's funny.... I was just dreaming about doing something with my grandpas old international grain truck.... just started thinking about it a few days ago...its older than yours but newer than the picture.... I want to do something Between what your doing and what's in the picture....Attachment 147773
While that's not practical for what I'm doing it looks AWESOME!

Truth is the thing really never had any personality to it until I started sanding on it and I am going alot further than I originally planned just because I think the shape of it even for something out of the 80's it has the potential to look pretty good.
With the poor condition of the paint and the old crude ways of setting up a truck it was just another truck to me.
Getting excited as I go though.
Lot of good things about the old binders!

God Bless America
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiverEast View Post
1700 is the series. The 54 is specs like diesel engine, axles, etc
Interesting, what does the 17 stand for than?
Is there a size gvw difference between a 1600 vs 1900?
Do you know what the "S" is good for?

I dont expect ya to know the answers for all that, I just really dont know alot about binders

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page