156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 PM
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partners View Post
and If the wife wants to continue to..Some guys don't give a **** about there wives, if they like it here or wish to be some place else ..
If/when we retire, my wife will want to be somewhere perpetually warm, with an ocean nearby. Whereas those are two things that I am much happier without, so I may not enjoy retirement very much...

I'm planning to not overstay my welcome, if kid or kids are motivated to take over, will gracefully step aside and find a way to make that work. Have plan B,C,D etc. to fall back on, including education, so can probably retire early and go pursue a different career if so motivated.

meritmat likes this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Plan to stay around the farm for as long as possible. We travel during the year and I enjoyed being home the most. Trapping in the winter keeps a guy busy. Stay fit and active, muscle mass is the currency of life.

Edit to add: I am more reclusive than most.

bap likes this.

Last edited by New_Farmer; 01-18-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
One thing that bothers me is watching people go through life working at a job they absolutely hate, just because of the pension and benefits. Miss out on life, never really enjoy much and miss out on family time, only to die a month after they retire. Live life to the fullest and you have no need to really retire in the traditional sense.
bfl2008, bjtjjl, Beerwiser and 2 others like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
You never know when your last day is, have fun, and do what makes you happy and puts food on the table. Some guys will work till they are 90, right now I would be content to retire when my kids are able to take over. Help them at seeding and harvest!
bfl2008 likes this.

Brent.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4635 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
You never know when your last day is
Just emptying the hopper after helping finish the last field on the last night of harvest last fall when thee most chilling radio transmission Iíve ever heard came in:

Dadís in the truck down here, heís dead

My cousin Bruce was seventy.
bjtjjl and meritmat like this.
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Watched my father in law get cancer last summer, 6 months later gone. Not a symptom before that. Life can throw you a curve pretty quick.

Turning 50 this yr and going to start rejigging the assets a bit, run a few acres for cash flow and keep the kids going. None are going to farm, but try to start spending part of Jan-feb someplace warmer. Cant take those couple months anymore. Summers travel Canada between spraying and the lentils.
meritmat likes this.
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Well if at all possible I'll die with my boots on and hopefully they'll be full of cowshit too, but dam I want it during the daylight, and it better be sunny too lol.

I really don't consider what I do work, it is what I love and it is the structure of my life. And maybe I did a better job of picking a Mrs than some, as no issue of compatibility with that either, so no problems that way at all to just carry on as long as the good Lord is willing.

Have def been making some changes so things will be easier when the time comes one can't do things normally anymore. I've always had the work smarter not harder philosophy, but I've seen so many older friends and others somewhat struggle with tasks that could have been done a lot easier.
I've dealt with a lot of lower back issues all my life, so perhaps that is why I have always sought out ways to make some things easier. I used to be able to force the body to do things, that today when its hurting, I just simply can't anymore, so now more than ever its becoming more of a necessity and things only gonna get worse.

Too soon old, too late smart...so don't waste your life doing something you don't really enjoy anyway would be my advice.
Transaxial, Geeze and bap like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Last edited by albertabuck; 01-18-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I don't really like the word retired. I watch my Dad, who thankfully is still with us, he'll be 80 this Feb. He runs a combine very little now. This summer he cut, bailed, and hauled about 135 hay bails on his own. He started cleaning up his junk this fall went pretty hard, helping the young guy load about 200 tonne, mostly making sure he didn't send anything he didn't want to see go. Making more than enough money for Mom and his 2 months in NZ this winter. He wouldn't say he's retired, goes to his shop everyday, does what he wants. I'm doing what I want as most are.

I also agree if you don't like what you're doing don't wait. Do something you like if you can. You won't regret taking a few risks. Don't give your body what it doesn't need (easy to say).

I plan on doing what I want till I can't do it. Than I'll do something I can do. Work hard play hard. We're built to work but the work changes.
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Interesting, many of the comments are also what I have been feeling. I do enjoy generally what I do with farming and some interesting side businesses/hobbies. Was just curious how much peoples ideas changed over time, because as I plan for later in life I have been trying to make a decision that I need to make now, and that is do I build a nice shop on the farm or forget it and save the money for a place down south or for extra travel. At present I am not a big travel fan like I said once or twice a year for a week is okay to break up winter but it doesn't matter to me all that much if I go, but I do like to build my own stuff and play and don't really have a shop for doing that right now but a shop is going to set me back probably $300,000 which is no small amount of money.

The reason I ask is the people I see around here seem to fall into two categories, the people that like traveling want to be down south or going all winter, and those that like to play in the shop and tinker seem to enjoy doing that even as they get older, however, I have seen in a few cases where farmers that basically did no traveling (and they did have the time) hit retirement and now enjoy spending their entire winter down south even though they never did it prior to retirement.

I know there is no way to no if I am going to wake up one day and feel completely different, but was just interested in how others are looking at retirement or how their views changed as they aged.
good feedback thanks.
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Build your shop. Who knows if you will live till retirement. Enjoy life now.

Grainline likes this.

Brent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page