retirement what do you plan to do - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Yes some die shortly after they retire..That means they waited to long to quit..NO retirement..That means for all not just farmers..Know a fellow who has no issues with money, retired now his wife is sick, can't travel or sweet tweet all ..they have No retirement either..
Make decisions to make sure there will be no regrets..Lots of our relates retired early and spend most of the time travelling the world..

post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
One thing people need to consider is you may not feel like you do at 50 when you are 70, then travelling becomes less of a priority and you seem to hunker down near a hospital. My parents barely travel anymore. Vegas a couple times a year then they miss their house and grandkids and run back home to sit in the -30 January weather. No way I will be sitting in Sask in Jan/Feb when I am a bit older.

meritmat likes this.
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
Well if at all possible I'll die with my boots on and hopefully they'll be full of cowshit too, but dam I want it during the daylight, and it better be sunny too lol.
I just rented a neighbors pasture last week from his nephew that is taking over. Neighbor is an 80 some year old bachelor. Last summer I went to his place on an ambulance assist and figured that was the end, laying on his garage floor conscious and not making sense with a blood sugar of 12, that is coma territory. He has recovered but will live out his days in a nursing home. Told the nephew you guys should have let me die on that floor. Nephew broke the news to him about having to get rid of the cows and he said if I can't have cows or take care of them I just as well be dead. I don't expect him to live much longer.

I'll never retire. May end up working for the kids in season but a guy has to do something, may as well be something you love.

That said I love the pig work to but I am **** sure not sorting and loading pigs in my 80's.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:50 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Who are we to judge what makes others happy?
Really Iím just doing the same thing I have all my farming life, just on a smaller scale and much more focused. That not only makes me happy Iím thrilled by it.

We have no idea what will or will not make any individual happy. While too young Bruce died and went exactly as he had stated he would like too, working to the end (literally) no lingering, no burdening anyone.

Over the last few years Iíve had several close relatives and friends die and while people often discuss the ďrightĒ way to go to those left there is no right way.
Itís not like we have a choice in timing.
460, bfl2008, Snipe and 4 others like this.
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Be nice in 20 years to be able to go South for 2-3 months. Got to have an ocean near by since I love to fish. In a perfect world own a little cc boat and take friends out fishing when they come down. Or just me And the wife. MAybe a little sleepy Mexican fishing town. Los Burris comes to mind.
I guess we can all dream can’t we?
radar likes this.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:30 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
I guess we can all dream canít we?
Life would be a terrible place if we couldnít!

You and my brother would get along, last year alone he fished Great Slave Lake in the summer and Lake Winnipeg ice fishing in the winter. Oh. Maybe not.
meritmat likes this.
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Judging what should make someone else happy is one of the world's top past times. Even the idea of retiring is seen as the only acceptable goal in life by many people. Who says you really need to retire. If you like what you are doing then it is not necessary. Is it necessary to retire from sitting on a beach after 35 years? Actually it probably is. I need more to do than that.
I too look to get home after 2 weeks away. Mainly because I get bored and need a "home" to feel part of the environment. A warm destination with a house, car, garage and basic tools to tinker when needed and I could be comfortable. Otherwise I am just a passerby and while it is nice to see new places I get more satisfaction from being part of that new environment. So endless travelling and never actually becoming established somewhere would be tiresome.

Maybe some farmers need a "vacation farm" in Brazil. Some acres with machinery and share owners who come down in the winter months to do exactly what they like doing but in a different environment, different machinery, crops and whole bunch more free time. Everyone meets for a beer when the sun goes down and figures out who is doing what tomorrow. Doing a little work, watching the work being done or completely off the plantation vacationing.
kevlar likes this.
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Life would be a terrible place if we couldnít!

You and my brother would get along, last year alone he fished Great Slave Lake in the summer and Lake Winnipeg ice fishing in the winter. Oh. Maybe not.
Well half of that sounds fun

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 PM
NDF

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
It always amazes me the time, money, thought, and effort that are put into "enjoying life" while at the same time few would give five minutes to thinking about what happens five seconds after you die. "For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:36
bfl2008 and SWMan like this.
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 PM
rod

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
I am semi retired, forced a bit early by my health and the passing of Jayne.
I kept my combine and header and harvest with the people (two different groups) that rent my land.
Having at least that much involvement helps keep me in the loop on cropping practices and technical developments.

Iíll hit the trough in May and decide year to year if Iíll contiue but I enjoy working with the energetic and very progressive thirty somethings, it reminds me of me 30 years ago and they seem to appreciate the harvest assistance.

Doubt many have picked my route, I elected to be more than just a warm body at harvest.

Iím not a big fan of being away from home for extended periods like others, always seems whenever I do when I get home from more than a few days away I realize thereís no place like home.

I donít care about winter, the thermostat is at 21, same as summer.
Iím sure they are pleasantly surprised by this ďold fellaĒ in the field with all the tech gadgetry & knowledge oozing from the cab!

ď21Ē !!!! Yikes ..... thatís freezing! Been mid to high 40ís here for a couple of weeks. Get on the plane & come over ...... donít bring any coats or gloves. 😁

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page