retirement what do you plan to do - The Combine Forum
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
retirement what do you plan to do

I have been starting to think about retirement, although it wont be for another 20 years or so, but need to get things figured out somewhat.

I am curious as to what other people are planning or have done when they retired.
I know a lot of people look at heading down south for winters or doing a lot of vacationing. Right now we like to try and take a trip once a year whether it be somewhere warm or a ski holiday but by the time 7 to 10 days comes around I am antsy and want to get back home. So I dont know that I am the type of person to head south for the winter a week long trip or two sure, but all winter not likely. But I am curious how many people feel that they have changed from enjoying being around the farm and tinkering to being tired of it and just wanting to be down south or elsewhere for the winter months.

The whole, what are we going to do in retirement, which affects plans now to some degree is hard for me to get my head wrapped around because I can not image not working in some fashion simply so that I am not bored, But I do realize we change as we age and I guess I am most curious in what people have seen for changes in themselves as they age.

Just curious on others thoughts and mindset regarding retirement.

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Freedom 85 for me!! lol I don't know if I actually see myself retiring or wanting to retire. I'm 40 now so things could change. Have little desire to travel, have a bit and it was ok, but not something I could do for months on end. I prefer camping and doing stuff around home. Don't see much sense traveling the world when there is a pile of places just out my back door that I have yet to explore. I don't think anyone in my family who has farmed has ever retired. Pretty much farm until we die! Find it funny how many people I know retired, then within a year had a part time job, got bored fairly quick. I think farmers and highly energetic people have a hard time idling down, is quite a change of lifestyle.

lion, jdhrasko, Grainline and 3 others like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
With 20 years to go, I'm assuming you're in your 40's. I am 57, and can tell you I don't enjoy doing some things near as much as I did at 40. Planning for retirement and setting an age to do it is a good idea. I have not. I can tell you, the hardest thing to do in life is change, and the easiest is to keep doing the same thing. I believe that's why you see alot of farmers going too long, some until they die. Farming is all they know and it's too **** hard (and scary) to quit.
garyfunk, drp and brazil08 like this.
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4578 Post(s)
I am semi retired, forced a bit early by my health and the passing of Jayne.
I kept my combine and header and harvest with the people (two different groups) that rent my land.
Having at least that much involvement helps keep me in the loop on cropping practices and technical developments.

Iíll hit the trough in May and decide year to year if Iíll contiue but I enjoy working with the energetic and very progressive thirty somethings, it reminds me of me 30 years ago and they seem to appreciate the harvest assistance.

Doubt many have picked my route, I elected to be more than just a warm body at harvest.

Iím not a big fan of being away from home for extended periods like others, always seems whenever I do when I get home from more than a few days away I realize thereís no place like home.

I donít care about winter, the thermostat is at 21, same as summer.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
I’m nowhere near retirement, but I think you need hobbies of different sorts now, so have something else to enjoy later.
southsask9400 likes this.

Brent.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've had other careers but nothing as satisfying as farming so my plan is to farm until I'm 80 and then decide....
drives my accountant nuts !
morb1lee likes this.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Carn the Cats

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Hopefully some of my kids will continue on the business I have started now and then I can bludge off it and travel to the US and CAN to meet some of you off here........

As long as there still making steak, cheesecake and whiskey in 25 yrs I’ll be happy........

Don’t have land. Might inherit something, but I doubt it. I did a runner long ago.

Have some money slowly growing in Super funds, from my employer’s over the last 20 yrs.

I will worry about it when the time comes.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Well I got to keep Busy because all I what to do is. Eat. Drink. And have Sex. In that order.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 PM
X80

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Im taking a different tack as most people i know at 65 a stuffed physically. So my retirement starts end of this year when i quit the mine, i will still work and have farm but a big focus will be living how i want to live and enjoying life and the world while i can, i dont want to budget on getting to 65 to see the planet or go do something...i am 40. Once 50 hits i will work casual, i dont need millions of dollars or some dynstay to my name, i got through divorce financials alot quicker than i thought and have set myself well now...i work nearly every day of the year to do this. Going to bavaria again in august. I will do some work with my friends in phillipinnes, helping them get ahead in life and have some sort of a future...i like seeing them rise.

Ant...
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
We all have different plans..Just remember life is shorter than anyone thinks..You only live once..Don't be on your death bed wishing you had retired...
Some quit early and get a 2nd job...work when they want..Some see the world..No rules..Its your life..Don't look at what your neighbor did..
We have a game plan, but all depends on health, and If the wife wants to continue to..Some guys don't give a **** about there wives, if they like it here or wish to be some place else ..

Johnny the Farmer, drp and KpprCrk like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page