UTV's and sleds - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
UTV's and sleds

Wondering if anyone has thrown a set of tracks on a sxs to do some work in the winter?

Ive always liked the idea of having a set of tracks for any utility purposes I have in winter with my Defender. But Ive also always had a sled around and usually either make that do or get the tractor out. I can get a pretty decent utility sled for the same price as a set of tracks.... but how many sleds does a guy need. I have a bit of addiction to them.

Figure the tracks on a utv would be pretty nice for hauling wood, hauling grain to cows, checking cows or hunting or fishing or really any work that needs to be done with snow on the ground. How much can they actually go through? How much of a PITA are they to switch over from wheels to tracks twice a year. The sleds I have are not made for towing but I make them work.

Anybody with any experience with tracks on a utv or atv? Anyone do any chores with a sled in the winter?

Alex Watson likes this.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Our snowmobile club has a ranger with tracks we don't switch them , but it's use is primarily for picking up signs in the spring where we will be on melted muddy fields and still have to cross deep snow in ditches - runs etc . You will lose allot of speed and it is most definitely harder on the machine ( we are currently putting in a new trans ) . As far as where it will go , almost anywhere .

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

That's kind of the same idea that I would be using them for. If I want to go fast and play theres no doubt I'm jumping on a sled. Looking for the utility side of things. Just dont want to dump a bunch of mo eh in them to try then be fighting through the snow still .
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
I see the oil guys using them plenty around here. They also had a jeep with tracks. They seem to go most anywhere when they are checking wells. I have been impressed. I have never used one. They do haul them around on a trailer. Guessing if you have to go very far with decent roads it is best to haul them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
were riding our sleds in the cypress hills in 2017 and was enough snow that we were getting stuck with mountain machines in the hills had a fire for lunch and a polaris ranger on tracks rolled right up to us like it was no big thing I was really impressed
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
I have no first hand experience, but guys I have talked to say they do take a fair bit of power.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
I don’t think this is really what you need, especially for marginal snow conditions but it certainly does broaden the fun and utility segments out for a single sled.

SUPERTRAXMAG.COM - 2020 Ski-Doo Expedition Xtreme Walk Around & First Impressions
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

You know I looked at those expeditions. Theres a lot of things I like about them. But ya, tis a tad bit of overkill I'd say for what I want to do.

I know the tracks take some power and top speed. But for what I want to do neither of those are a big concern. Mainly as far as I would be going is within a mile or two. When it starts getting farther than that itll prob be one of those nice snowcrop scouting days with a box of refreshments beside me. So again no need for speed there.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The tracks make a ranger go through almost anything. It usually takes about an hour or so to put them on with 2 guys. I've heard the can-am holds up better if you're running the tracks lots of miles but can't say for sure as we only have Polaris'. It will also register more miles on your odometer than you actually went because of the reduction. Camso is good, mattracks are awesome but spendy$$$.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Just bought a set of used but almost new Mattracks for my ranger northstar. Waiting for the mounting kit. Looking forward to following Youngs kids around on their sleds while in the heat! And few tours with a bottle should be fun also.

Brent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page