LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
Hoping you pay the “shipper” before you realize the check is no good
Yep. Miraculously he is the "shipper" only using a different name/company.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My wife is a bank manager and has had a scam pulled on a few of her customers, similar to what you are describing. Banks have difficulty verifying funds with competitive banks and, even if the funds ARE present, it isn't to say their won't be a stop-payment ordered after verification, by the issuer. Also, if the bank account of the issuer is linked to a credit line, the verification might fail, even though the check is negotiable, since "available credit" isn't normally reflected in the "account balance". AND....to add even more complexity....checks can take weeks to clear if the check is drawn on an account outside of a federally-insured institution. And don't find ANY comfort in a certified check, as PhotoShop and colour laser printers can do wonders.

Her advise is:
- ignore the banks phone number on the check, look the number of the bank up manually (through a reliable means) to verify it's existence (fake bank/fake number)
- certified or not, again, look the number of the issuers branch manually and verify authenticity (or have your bank do it for you)
- ask for personal i.d. of the signatory, they are asking YOU to trust THEM by accepting their check, it works both ways

This whole process might take 10 to 20 minutes, tops!

coolio, Ozzie and SWMan like this.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWO View Post
I had it explained like this,
The cheque is a copy of the original, you deposit it, it clears, deal done.
Then the real cheque is presented elsewhere, so two cheques the same, clearly when they do the checks yours is the fake as it's missing the watermarks etc.
Then you have to reimburse the bank and explain why you have a fake cheque.
This was on the news, say 10 years ago, in Alberta, actually happened to a farm family, a guy bought a truck off them, they were out the tandem truck and the money. Insurance didn't cover them, as they willingly traded the truck for a bogus cheque, wasn't actually theft, as they were responsible for verifying the buyer.

If the guy was for real, he'd be sending a certified cheque, and could easily be tracked by police as well, even if it was a copy of original.

No question in my mind it's fake.

Last edited by hihi962; 04-07-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoColourPreference View Post
My wife is a bank manager and has had a scam pulled on a few of her customers, similar to what you are describing. Banks have difficulty verifying funds with competitive banks and, even if the funds ARE present, it isn't to say their won't be a stop-payment ordered after verification, by the issuer. Also, if the bank account of the issuer is linked to a credit line, the verification might fail, even though the check is negotiable, since "available credit" isn't normally reflected in the "account balance". AND....to add even more complexity....checks can take weeks to clear if the check is drawn on an account outside of a federally-insured institution. And don't find ANY comfort in a certified check, as PhotoShop and colour laser printers can do wonders.

Her advise is:
- ignore the banks phone number on the check, look the number of the bank up manually (through a reliable means) to verify it's existence (fake bank/fake number)
- certified or not, again, look the number of the issuers branch manually and verify authenticity (or have your bank do it for you)
- ask for personal i.d. of the signatory, they are asking YOU to trust THEM by accepting their check, it works both ways

This whole process might take 10 to 20 minutes, tops!
I sold a small amount of hay to a neighbor once for about $4000 (10 years ago) and wasn't sure if it would be any good. I went to his bank and demanded cash for it. They wouldn't cash the check. My plan was to take the money and walk it over to my bank and deposit it. The idea was if the check bounced, I could try get the money another day when it was available as I still had the check in my possession

I told my neighbor his check was no good as the bank wouldn't give me the cash. He was surprised and phoned me back later. I am not sure what took place but he claimed he was running on a line of credit (no money in bank account) and they wouldn't extend his line of credit and cash the check. He said that if I take it to my bank, then it would work now. He said it had something to do with his line of credit and how the banks operate? So I did take it to my bank and I did my get money.

Definitely I would be trying to do something similar in your situation. Go to the bank that the check is being drawn by investigating numbers at the bottom of the check - not addresses or phone numbers for the bank. As no Colour Preference pointed out. See if the bank really exists - a place to start and go from there.

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
I sold a small amount of hay to a neighbor once for about $4000 (10 years ago) and wasn't sure if it would be any good. I went to his bank and demanded cash for it. They wouldn't cash the check. My plan was to take the money and walk it over to my bank and deposit it. The idea was if the check bounced, I could try get the money another day when it was available as I still had the check in my possession

I told my neighbor his check was no good as the bank wouldn't give me the cash. He was surprised and phoned me back later. I am not sure what took place but he claimed he was running on a line of credit (no money in bank account) and they wouldn't extend his line of credit and cash the check. He said that if I take it to my bank, then it would work now. He said it had something to do with his line of credit and how the banks operate? So I did take it to my bank and I did my get money.

Definitely I would be trying to do something similar in your situation. Go to the bank that the check is being drawn by investigating numbers at the bottom of the check - not addresses or phone numbers for the bank. As no Colour Preference pointed out. See if the bank really exists - a place to start and go from there.

SOME "lines of credit" function more as "over-draft protection" so, in your case, taking your neighbors check to HIS bank would provide HIS bank with the "choice" of NOT negotiating the check and thereby avoiding an overdraft. However, if the check is attempting clearance from another financial institution, they have "no choice" but to negotiate the check, that is, if the client (aka your neighbor) has overdraft protection.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Barn
It's a scam for sure. I've been stringing him along and asked if he was sure that he didn't want to look at the combine before he bought it and then later asked the same thing but said cotton picker and he's still texting back and forth like nothing is amiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Good thought now you can really have some fun if you want . What I have heard of happening is the trucker picking it up suddenly has a breakdown on the way to your place and needs some money to get rolling . And you will never see him .
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love when you have a chance to extract a bit of revenge by stringing them along. I used to be on in a call center for email help. There are time limits and requirements for productivity. So drag it all out as much as you can. You have a average for your calls and a group average. If you bring down the group average then things will happen to the agent who called you.

With the texting just be careful about making claims or threatening violence as it is archived and they are waiting for you to commit and give them a go-ahead to bill you.
NoColourPreference likes this.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerith View Post
I love when you have a chance to extract a bit of revenge by stringing them along. I used to be on in a call center for email help. There are time limits and requirements for productivity. So drag it all out as much as you can. You have a average for your calls and a group average. If you bring down the group average then things will happen to the agent who called you.

With the texting just be careful about making claims or threatening violence as it is archived and they are waiting for you to commit and give them a go-ahead to bill you.
I recently received a call from "Microsoft Windows Technical Support" (all the way from Pakistan) and was "relieved" that they called to help me out! They asked me to go to my computers "desktop" and, luckily, I was already standing at my kitchen "countertop" at the time, looking at a toaster oven. They asked what was on my "screen", to which I replied "nothing, it was black. They asked me to click the start button on the bottom left corner, which happened to be a power setting, so my screen became lit; - PROGRESS! They asked what was along the left column of my screen, to which I replied "a circular thing, kinda looks like a donut or bagel, and a square thingy, kinda looks like a piece of bread"! They explained that those were "icons". This conversation lasted about 10 to 15 minutes and, all along, I carefully followed their instructions and gave them HONEST answers to what I was witnessing along the way. After 10 to 15 minutes of frustration, he called in his manager for help (I had assured them I had a credit card ready) and after a few minutes of his assistance, he asked what kind of computer I had, to which I replied "Betty Crocker"; - profanity filters will prevent me from repeating what was said afterwards, they weren't happy. It was fun, it was funny, and it wasted their time; - I at least got entertainment value out of it.
tbone95, Ozzie, adsinaus and 7 others like this.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Back when the dude tried this on me when I was selling that combine.......He ended up "offering me a job"! Hahaha....He explained that a regional something or other was needed to process payments for this motorcycle company in China that was starting to import their motorcycle into the US. I googled the name of the motorcycle company, and sure as **** there was a website there........with virtually word for word the same BS that he had sent me in his email. Very weird writing style, broken English for sure, but in a strange way. So anyway, my "job" was all I had to do was deposit checks, wire the money to the "company" keeping 10% for myself for pay. Yeah, so wiring is much faster than checks clearing, and that's where they got you. Figure even the first few checks might be legit to get you hooked, then a mass of them shows up that are all bad, you've wired them money and you're stuck! It was funny, because I told him no, yet a check showed up at my address anyway! Name on the envelope didn't match the name /address on the check, and the postmark was from Ghana! I sent him one more email, Hey Pal, I said no! What real address should I send this check to, or should I take it to the police? No, just destroy it please, sorry for the misunderstanding!! Hahaha

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page