Should I deposit this check? - The Combine Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Barn
Should I deposit this check?

About a week ago I listed one of our tractors for sale. Had someone contact me via text simply asking who and where to send the check for the full asking price

"plus and extra $45.40 for your running around and $2000 for my shipper upon retrieval"

So I said what the heck and added a zero to my address and respelled my name a little and sent him the info. We went back and forth a little and then much to my surprise, I get a check in the mail.

I'm 100% sure this guy is a scammer, but what do I do with the check? If I deposit it, does that somehow make my bank info vulnerable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
The check is probably fake. Also it will probably cost you $20 in fees when it bounces. Call the issuing bank and find out if that account exists.

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Barn
well, it's safer to deposit it into a new account, just in case ...
and i wouldn't release the tractor, or pay the shipper until the cheque clears, and the actual cash in your hand ..
cash is so much easier ...

regards, warren
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Usually, the "shipper" is set up to be right there on the spot, so that you pay the "shipper" $2000 before the check from the "buyer" clears. You're out the $2000 plus the bounced check fee. That you got the check now and wondering about the rest means they either screwed up their timing, or the scam has "evolved" somehow. Had this same thing happen on a combine 8 years ago.
garyfunk likes this.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Two things: why can't they pay the shipper and why are they buying something sight unseen?
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Seems funny to actually have a cheque in hand already. Seems like red flags all over the place. How much is it for? Could you possibly just cash it instead of deposit, get the bank to look into it first to see if there is money to cover the cheque before giving it over.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Cashing it won't help you the bank will still hold you responsible for the check as you will have gotten the money . It most definitely is a scam . Take the check to the cops .
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2715 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Could you possibly just cash it instead of deposit, get the bank to look into it first to see if there is money to cover the cheque before giving it over.
I'm not even aware that you can cash a check anymore. At our Credit Union you have to deposit it and then withdraw the money separately after. They almost make it into a public shaming to withdraw any large amount of cash nowadays.

I'm at a loss as to how the scammer could ascertain any info from you depositing a check??? Either it should clear or not??? I just wouldn't let the equipment out of my sight until I had verified who the buyer is and that he/she is legit....and I had the money. Any legit buyer should wish to prove such to you.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Saman your right when you take cash from the bank,they treat you like your doing something wrong even if it’s your money. A few years back I withdrew 20000$ in US dollars to go and pay for a header. It was a dealer in the states and was coming up to a long weekend in Canada so wiring the funds was not going to happen that quick. I arrived at the dealer to see the header and struck a deal. When going in to pay for it so I could tow it home I produced the cash and immediately the look on the salesman face turned white. I explained why the cash and he eventually took it but photo copied every bill and had me sign the image.what ever happened to the days of cash is king.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
No I wouldn't deposit it. You know it's a scam and it will only cause you problems later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page