Crazy Beaver Fever, NUTS!! - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Crazy Beaver Fever, NUTS!!

So spring is finally here, getting equipment ready, snow is mostly gone, creeks are running, albeit not much. And just like clock work, the beaver are getting busy plugging things up. Now this particular culvert they are plugging up has a long history of battles between us and the beavers, us and a neighbor, and us and another neighbor. Seems to really piss other people off when we clean this culvert out. It's ok to flood several acres of our land out, but it's not ok to keep the culvert open and let it go on it's way.

We have been having this ongoing issue with the beavers for as long as I have been alive. Hundreds of hours shooting and digging, and thousands of dollars hiring hoes to dig out the culvert and beaver dams, and not to mention the thousands and thousands of dollars of lost revenue because of the flooding. This is by no means a flood plain of anything like that, but when the beaver back it up 3 or 4 feet, it covers a lot more ground than it should.

So last year was really the first time things really started to get heated up. The beaver had the culvert plugged and 4-5 dams built behind it towards a big slough, it's even named. We got a hoe in to dig out the dams, never lowered the original run way at all, just wanted to get things back to where it should be. Well there is a guy that lives right next to the slough and culvert, and the only time he has water in his well is when the culvert is blocked and the water is backed up. He has tried blocking the culvert several times with plastic and old car hoods. He is mad at us for cleaning out the dams. He reports us to the RM and another one of our neighbors confronts the landlord that we rent this land from and he soon puts her in her place. I just ignore her and time goes on, things settle down, and life goes on.

So here is the peak of excitement to this story. I go down to clean out this culvert for the first time this year about an hour before dark. Dad come down shortly after. As I'm digging away, the first neighbor I told you about comes walking down the road to us, I never seen him coming as I was busy. He starts yelling at us telling us that we aren't going to be doing this again this year. Dad starts walking towards him (dad is 71). This crazy #uck picks up my 22 I had sitting beside the culvert and throws it into the water. After the initial shock of "holy crap this nut job has my gun!" the yelling match of the century erupts, I had to stop my dad from going at this guy, I managed to keep my cool enough to not destroy this guy. After a good scream fest, I made the scumbag wade out into the ice cold water and get my gun, about waist deep. After awhile dad left, and me and this piece of dirt chatted for a bit, then I left as he started to see his ways were wrong and had calmed down. Funny how mentioning you are calling the cops really hits home to an unemployed drug dealer. Not sure where things will go from here, but now that I have flipped my lid, the war is on for anyone who tries to tell me what I can do on my land.

Just wanted to share some of the excitement I get to deal with in my part of the world!

radar likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevlar; 04-23-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Water gets people riled up easy. Try getting permission to let water from tile drainage go down a municipal ditch. For some reason, need neighbor permission. People think I'll flood the entire RM with a 4" pipe

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Uugh... I dont envy your situation at all.... and it seems theres no happy medium for the guy unless he digs his "well" deeper......

Our biggest beaver problem was at one culvert in a creek, beavers always targeted plugging up... we built a L shaped grate screen type thing that was about 6' tall and 4' long at the bottom, set that on the beaver side of the culvert, the screen just fine enough the beaver couldn't fit through. So they always tried to build their dam mess on the bottom of the rack. So, just go out with the tractor lift the rack out with offending dam dump it off, reinstall and water was good to go, didnt even get wet boots!

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I think our RM has $50 bounty on beavers right now not sure if there's any on stupid people .
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Push all the trees down so the beavers have nothing to work with!

No beaver problems here...ha ha

Can't help with the neighbor though...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Trapper will take care of that nuisance beaver colony for you, permanently. Easy to trap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Push all the trees down so the beavers have nothing to work with!

No beaver problems here...ha ha

Can't help with the neighbor though...

Actually clearing the trees was mentioned during our civilized debate. Our property is only a few yards away from his house on the north side. Wouldn't be able to farm it, but would leave him with about 2 poplars and a willow shrub for a wind break on the north side of his house.

Actually thought we had them all cleaned out last year, shot a bunch, then dug out their hut, never noticed any action after that, was hoping the coyotes had got any remaining ones, but guess not.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!

Last edited by kevlar; 04-23-2019 at 08:25 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Watch when breaking up the hut. I do believe it is illegal if its active. Anyhow when I worked for the country, spring and fall were beaver control time for me. There is a pretty big water drainage near me that the beavers plugged up flooding a fair amount of land. We got all the easements to take out the beavers and dams except on one acreage. (Same kind of guy as in your situation). Did everything we could with the easements we had and that was it. I guess removing all the dams we could caused the remaining beavers to move onto this guys nicely treed acreage. I never thought beavers would go after large spruce trees, but they did and his populars and his willows etc. His tune changed so quick that he was out shooting beavers too.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Barn
well, i rented the land out last year .... and the fellow that rented it got an excavator in and 'cleaned up' the water runways, so it doesn't stay long at all now ... then he bought my excavator that i didn't have a chance to use yet, lol .. a cat 215 if it matters

regards, warren
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Haha.. if it's not the drug dealer it's the tree hugger that will make a stink when you start knocking trees down... they're the type that will sabotage you equipment left overnight......

Keep calm and combine on....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page