Pull behind mowers - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makar View Post
Op was talking old farm yard, i will sit back drink beer and observe.

I think you have the best idea so far!!

Border Farmer likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I've just got an hour of experience on this one and our grass is just starting to green up, so no experience on really tall stuff. It's a 66" Swisher that I ordered through the local Co-op and I really like it so far. I made the mistake of thinking it would run off the tractor's battery, but it needs it's own so that took a trip back to the store. The offset hitch takes a little getting used to (Yukon no longer has a dog blanket... yes, it dices things up very nicely) but with the tractors 48" mower it puts me up to 104" swath which is really nice when it used to take me 10 hrs to cut all the grass. Only complaints so far is that I'd like to move the kill switch up on the hitch or clip it to the tractor (they include a wussy tether for that that I didn't like) and the morons at the factory kinked the fuel hose at the pump. First start took some effort. I think I'll be adding another fuel tank to it to keep up with the tractor. Kawasaki motor (rated at 14.5 hp, which seems very conservative for it' s size) seems to put out good power.

This along the lines of what I was thinking. I like rubber tires on it as some of our lawn is a little rugged. Actually had checked out that brand online, how does the quality seem on it?

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Like I said, only an hour on it but it seems very well built so far. I measured the blades to the floor on the tractor in it's usual setting (3 1/4"), set the 3 screw jacks on the new mower to that height and it was perfect. Lots of bumps and hills on our lawn too, and it follows it like a trooper. Peavy Mart has a 60" for $3k but I wanted width so I got this 66" one for $3.4.... kicked the snot out of $3,800 with taxes and the battery but it's sure going to cut down on my lawn mowing time. I'm pulling it with the 24hp John Deere with no problems. It's nice for getting in under tree branches that I don't have to duck around anymore.
Transaxial likes this.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:01 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
I've just got an hour of experience on this one and our grass is just starting to green up, so no experience on really tall stuff. It's a 66" Swisher that I ordered through the local Co-op and I really like it so far. I made the mistake of thinking it would run off the tractor's battery, but it needs it's own so that took a trip back to the store. The offset hitch takes a little getting used to (Yukon no longer has a dog blanket... yes, it dices things up very nicely) but with the tractors 48" mower it puts me up to 104" swath which is really nice when it used to take me 10 hrs to cut all the grass. Only complaints so far is that I'd like to move the kill switch up on the hitch or clip it to the tractor (they include a wussy tether for that that I didn't like) and the morons at the factory kinked the fuel hose at the pump. First start took some effort. I think I'll be adding another fuel tank to it to keep up with the tractor. Kawasaki motor (rated at 14.5 hp, which seems very conservative for it' s size) seems to put out good power.
I would be curious as to how much money you have in this sort of setup? I would side with Makar and say that 3pt hitch rough cut is the answer - particularly in an old farm yard as tire tracks may be least of issues and even moving a traditional lawn mower to another yard site not so handy. I have rough cut mower, finishing mower, and zero turn lawn mower as we cover plenty of mowing situations. Have had 2 rough cut mowers over the past 30 years so it quite amazing the abuse that they stand - current one is a Schulte that was picked up used for just under $2000. Unlike some pieces of equipment think a used rough cut mower at decent price is just good business. Did buy the finishing mower used for $800 unseen and because these are lighter they do depreciate - took about $400 and fair bit of swearing to turn it into something that useful. Think you could find very good used finishing mower for under $1000 if looked for awhile.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makar View Post
Had a quad pull type, hated it, the guy that bought it hates it more, rough cut and tractor only way to go.
They are good for smooth, regular cut lawn grass. I have a tractor belly mount and pull two five foots behind that. Fifteen feet per pass. Can turn them around on about 8 feet if you turn to the inside. IĎVe been using the belly mower and one pull for about 20 years. No issues except leaky tires
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should have mentioned, the yards we are doing have been mowed and kept up for ages and always looked after as though someone lived there. It's not like a traditional "old" barnyard, it's a lawn, just grows fast and thick from all the cow $hit from40 years ago! All the yards we mow are decent lawns, just a little more rugged than some yards, with hills and ditches, not much for flat areas and nothing like a golf green! A 3 point would just be too cumbersome. We do have a 3 point rough mower for some areas we just keep under control.

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
I finished up the lawn with it tonight... about 4 hrs on what used to take 10. Not bad, and I can probably knock some time off that once I get the hang of what needs to be cut with and without the tow behind. The fuel tank isn't as mismatched as I thought... as long as I refill at 1/4 tank on the tractor the back one doesn't run out of gas. I did manage to bog it down in the heavy wet grass around the barn though... too bad they didn't put a 20 - 25 hp motor on it like the tractor has. I have some pretty good inclines (places where the tractor would sometimes spin out with nothing behind it) so I did have to back up and spin out a couple times, but nothing that would bother on a normal lawn. Overall I'm still happy with it... I just didn't have time to spend 10 hrs a week on the lawn.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
I have a giant lawn mower made from a versatile swather hydro with a 6 cylinder gas engine, probably a 15' deck in three sections. It's all home made but has been sitting for probably 10+ years. Would need some belts, bearings and maybe a tire or two. I'd part with it really cheap. It's even John Deere green!

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
I finished up the lawn with it tonight... about 4 hrs on what used to take 10. Not bad, and I can probably knock some time off that once I get the hang of what needs to be cut with and without the tow behind. The fuel tank isn't as mismatched as I thought... as long as I refill at 1/4 tank on the tractor the back one doesn't run out of gas. I did manage to bog it down in the heavy wet grass around the barn though... too bad they didn't put a 20 - 25 hp motor on it like the tractor has. I have some pretty good inclines (places where the tractor would sometimes spin out with nothing behind it) so I did have to back up and spin out a couple times, but nothing that would bother on a normal lawn. Overall I'm still happy with it... I just didn't have time to spend 10 hrs a week on the lawn.
I think they claim 5 or 5.5 MPH maximum. If you go into tough going you will have belt trouble.

.I just treat mine like itís cutting a city lawn!
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I have a giant lawn mower made from a versatile swather hydro with a 6 cylinder gas engine, probably a 15' deck in three sections. It's all home made but has been sitting for probably 10+ years. Would need some belts, bearings and maybe a tire or two. I'd part with it really cheap. It's even John Deere green!

I had thought of doing something like that years ago with dad's old 400 Versatile swather, but we ended up giving it away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page