Pull behind mowers - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I have been cutting the grass behind the barn for years now as there aren't any cattle on the pasture anymore and keep the grass cut to give a firebreak from the bush . The grass around the manure pile can grow " inches in a day " LOL We are using a farm king 84" mower with a ( now 45 hp but used to be a 30 hp) three point tractor and don't really have any problems except if you leave it for a long time . The mower is a rear discharge and spreads the clippings quite well compared to the brush mower that I originally used as it would pile all the clippings to one side . Originally was cutting at 5" high but now down to 3"after some of the dead grass had rotted . The cut is as good as a quality mower when the blades are sharp and am amazed at how mush abuse they can take and still keep somewhat sharp . Just cut the grass for the first time this year with the new tractor ( 45 hp boomer new Holland ) used of course , but really like the hydrostatic feature when hitting the long stuff you can instantly slow down instead of riding the clutch and for backing up at the end of a tight turn .

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I've just got an hour of experience on this one and our grass is just starting to green up, so no experience on really tall stuff. It's a 66" Swisher that I ordered through the local Co-op and I really like it so far. I made the mistake of thinking it would run off the tractor's battery, but it needs it's own so that took a trip back to the store. The offset hitch takes a little getting used to (Yukon no longer has a dog blanket... yes, it dices things up very nicely) but with the tractors 48" mower it puts me up to 104" swath which is really nice when it used to take me 10 hrs to cut all the grass. Only complaints so far is that I'd like to move the kill switch up on the hitch or clip it to the tractor (they include a wussy tether for that that I didn't like) and the morons at the factory kinked the fuel hose at the pump. First start took some effort. I think I'll be adding another fuel tank to it to keep up with the tractor. Kawasaki motor (rated at 14.5 hp, which seems very conservative for it' s size) seems to put out good power.
Nice looking unit, Iíll have to research these,as I could use one if price is not to steep.

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We've always had really good luck with woods mowers, currently have a front mount 60" 0 turn for the yard, a 96" rear discharge on the little dx yard tractor and a 20' batwing for ditch mowing. We had a couple bush-hogs but the woods are better.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I have a giant lawn mower made from a versatile swather hydro with a 6 cylinder gas engine, probably a 15' deck in three sections. It's all home made but has been sitting for probably 10+ years. Would need some belts, bearings and maybe a tire or two. I'd part with it really cheap. It's even John Deere green!

Geez.... NOW you tell me!!
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Geez.... NOW you tell me!!
Well you sell yours to druggles and upgrade! When I think of this mower the words of Red Green come to mind: "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

I will provide a roll of duct tape with the machine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190528_092811.jpg (407.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190528_092830.jpg (342.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190528_092842.jpg (241.7 KB, 56 views)
whtbaron likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
How many people died using that thing!!!!!??????

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I'm still very much alive. Couple of shields might be in order...ha ha

It was indeed fast but as I recall it won't climb steep hills.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
That’d bring a tear to Red Green’s eye right there!
Northern Farmer and SWMan like this.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
From what I gather Kevlar that is not quite what you were looking for. Thank you for the good laugh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page