Pull behind mowers - The Combine Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Pull behind mowers

Does anyone here have any experience with pull behind lawn mowers? We have a pile of grass to cut already and this year we are going to cut an old yard site on some land we rent in exchange for the use of a cold storage shed. Neither of us really knew what would be a fair rental price so we both thought that if I looked after the yard, that would be a fair deal. Not sure on that yet! We have two Husqvarna mowers now, both 54 inch, one a regular tractor type, and one zero turn. For whatever reason, the zero turn doesn't cut as well in tall grass or wet conditions even though they have the exact same decks and power. I was just wondering if a pull behind with rear discharge would work better on more rugged terrain and wet or thick grass better than a regular mower. I know an industrial mower would be best, but I'm not dropping 20 grand into a lawn mower!

On another note, does anyone know if spraying a growth regulator on grass would slow it down at all? This yard we are cutting has part of an old barnyard in it so it grows pretty lush, as does a couple spots in my yard (was a stupid decision on my part for this). Just something that crossed my mind today.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
My uncle has a 3pt hitch rough cut mower I used to trim the old growth in a pasture the horses didnt want to eat... worked pretty good, did a nice job considering what I started with.
So i would try a 3 pt hitch or a front mount skidsteer one. Either way I think you want 60+ hp if you have thick/damp grass you wanna cut.
Perhaps a dealer would demo something?

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
I was thinking more along the lines of something to pull behind a quad or even the one mower. We have a 3 point rough mower but the only tractor we can use is pretty rough on the lawn, really rips the grass up when you turn and not too handy in tight quarters.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
I have and old horse drawn sickle mower in my valley that is wheel driven, i was thinking of resurrecting it to pull behind the quad for doing the road allowance too rough for my little F525.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of something to pull behind a quad or even the one mower. We have a 3 point rough mower but the only tractor we can use is pretty rough on the lawn, really rips the grass up when you turn and not too handy in tight quarters.
Got a skid steer? They make mowing decks. **** load new at any of the RB auctions. Been meaning to pick up one

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I've just got an hour of experience on this one and our grass is just starting to green up, so no experience on really tall stuff. It's a 66" Swisher that I ordered through the local Co-op and I really like it so far. I made the mistake of thinking it would run off the tractor's battery, but it needs it's own so that took a trip back to the store. The offset hitch takes a little getting used to (Yukon no longer has a dog blanket... yes, it dices things up very nicely) but with the tractors 48" mower it puts me up to 104" swath which is really nice when it used to take me 10 hrs to cut all the grass. Only complaints so far is that I'd like to move the kill switch up on the hitch or clip it to the tractor (they include a wussy tether for that that I didn't like) and the morons at the factory kinked the fuel hose at the pump. First start took some effort. I think I'll be adding another fuel tank to it to keep up with the tractor. Kawasaki motor (rated at 14.5 hp, which seems very conservative for it' s size) seems to put out good power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1106.JPG (316.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1107.JPG (292.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1110.JPG (341.0 KB, 18 views)
kevlar and Border Farmer like this.

Last edited by whtbaron; 05-26-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I also need to extend a drawbar back on the garden tractor so the hitch doesn't contact the tire on tight corners. It will leave skips on the corners between the 2 mowers if you don't circle around and come back in on the corner... no biggie. It's no light weight... found that out when I tried to unload it myself. Weighs in at 450 lbs without the battery, and you'll feel every pound of that.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Had a quad pull type, hated it, the guy that bought it hates it more, rough cut and tractor only way to go.
brazil08 likes this.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Barn
i run a 3pt / trail behind at 84 inches behind a jd 510 tractor with 40 horse ..
the mower is a three blade finishing with rear discharge, works well on yard grass maybe three times a year ...
no real problems with heavy and/or wet grass

regards, warren
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Op was talking old farm yard, i will sit back drink beer and observe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page