US ban on HUAWEI - The Combine Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
US ban on HUAWEI

I am just curios, what is the thoughts on this.
Is it paranoia from Trump or is this a valid threat. Or is it just another stick in this whole trade war fiasco.
I personally have a HUAWEI cellphone, really likes it. much better than my wife's Samsung phone. But with the prospect of not being able to use it with google banning most of the software use, it is becoming a problem for the future.

I kinda understand the ban on the 5G network hardware, but just a normal phone, don't know.
Besides, Google has been spying on us with unlawful recording and what not, all in the name of trying to better there voice recognition software.

Seems a lot like a tin hat conspiracy theories.

Nou wat nou?
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I can't speak specifically to Huawei but I CAN share an experience my coworker recently had with some Chinese-built, off-brand tablets. They were 10.1 inch dual-sim LTE 4G tablets and ran beautifully, that is, until "suddenly" his passwords for online shopping/banking were being exposed to "hackers". Neither tablet had a sim card, it all happened via wifi. So, if scrupulous vendors /manufacturers can embed this capability into a $100 tablet, sky's the limit, including a simple cellphone. I highly doubt a major corporation like Huawei would stoop to such a level but, who knows.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Its one thing to have a local company under the countries rules of law trying to record you or whatever. We have mechanisms to handle those companies. Its a different thing entirely when a foreign hostile power is trying to do it. Look what they are doing in their own country with facial recognition.

This issue came to a head a few yrs ago when some Chinese chips were found to have recording devices stuck on the circuit boards.
kevlar likes this.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Barn
We have a laptop and the new P30 Pro. Both amazing machines. Would be hard to go back now. Hope the trade war ends soon. No fun.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Easy to get the general public to forget about Facebook, Google, Apple, ..... All of which have had lawsuits for security, data mining, collecting of personal information.

ALL mfg. have the same abilities built into their phones. Don't worry Alexa is always listening...

Trump is a great negotiator, point at a target, make it public, then go after what you really want while everyone is distracted.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
You think the Chinese government doesn’t run/own Huawei? Many other countries have banned them, we are stupid not to also.
meritmat, SWMan and NDF like this.

Brent.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
I don't really trust any of the tech companies, but do have a little more concern when it involves a country like China that would gladly take over the world if they were given the chance. Also their ties to North Korea is a bit worrisome. 99% of the population has nothing of interest to them, but the 1% maybe does?

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
I know we don't like the canola china thing but truth is Trump probably did us a favor. China is not a friend. calling us a security risk during NAFTA he was able to actually target Chinese steel dumping through Canada to the US which punished us for our stupidity and china for their corruption. Now the tariffs are dropped with mechanisms to now watch those products getting dumped and I imagine there is a side deal for us to ban this tech as part of the agreement.

Canada is a like a bunch of children getting into trouble without thinking until someone points out our folly. It is not secret the Chinese want to get into the arctic where we have no way to protect our sovereignty without the americans. We are too worried about apologies and which bathroom to use.
Combine Pilot and NDF like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4675 Post(s)
The main difference is more people can pronounce HUAWEI better now...sorta.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
The main difference is more people can pronounce HUAWEI better now...sorta.
Heck, I didn't even know I had a Huawei phone until this whole fiasco! I just always got whatever phone Google was selling, which used to be Motorola.

It's a very good product, but for sure a security risk now that the facts come out. This technology should be kept domestic, or at least to a country that is not communist.

As for the 5G stuff I think we should go back to Analog phones. Sure they didn't beep when you lost a call, but at least you had reception when standing behind a branch! Seems as the network "improves" the rural coverage deteriorates....only good for city people.

Hardrock acres and bradw2 like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page