2019 Drought in Prairies - Page 21 - The Combine Forum
 237Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
6K also covers your farm in precision data... Do you know how much rain you got on each field? When you're in the Delta-T band when trying to spray? Do you know the humidity level in your canopies, and forecast for disease prevalence based on that?

If you get 4" of rain in one downpour on a half section 20 miles from home, and it's light and washes N out of the root zone, do you know that?

It hasn't rained in two months... but you have ample subsoil moisture, do you cut back or keep feeding the crop?
It hasn't rained in two months, but there's no subsoil. Now does your decision making change?

Do you know when it hails on your fields, and which one and what severity it hailed?

Do you know the nutrient content of your fields every day of the growing season without having to send samples away?

Didn't think so.

Do you want to keep all all your fields on a mesh network talking to each other and the equipment operating in it, feeding all the information back to home base without it going 3rd party to be harvested first?
As fully autonomous equipment becomes a reality there needs to be a communications system and base for it to talk to... That base may as well do other things while its already in the field.

This isn't for everyone, but it is for those that want to know exactly what's going on out there and then manage by data instead of emotion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #202 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
In a drought pushing the fertility too high just makes the problem worse for us. The crop comes up to heavy and burns up quicker. I believe in front loading the crop. It is always a guess to what the year will be like.
Sure seems to me a well fed plant will camp out way longer for some rain and drill down for moisture.

That same plant short on groceries will give the peace out way sooner.

Looked at some wheat today thatís stooling like crazy. Nothing saying it wonít drop them with no more moisture but at this point itís still party on.

kevlar and Border Farmer like this.
post #203 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
You can spend 6000 dollars on a system to tell you the ground is dry, or just know it hasn't rained for 2 months and know the ground is dry. Either way, you don't know if it will rain next week or how much. Who the **** wants to spend the summer adding fertilizer a cup at a time? Put in a reasonable amount when you seed and go to the lake........ If it doesn't rain, the fert will be there next year.

Ag has gotten crazy.
I agree , When times get lean it is even more important to keep things simple. throwing money at half baked ideas will end up like an upside down cow! if you know what i mean. It seems like when ever us farmers are making a decent buck there is somebody out there trying to sell a snake oil product to increase yields. I was wondering if at all, is the canola market going to respond to the poorer crop conditions.
post #204 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Some guys have tried split application of N here in the past few years, broadcasting on with a spinner only to see it not rain for a month afterwards. Not the answer either.
Border Farmer likes this.
post #205 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
6K also covers your farm in precision data... Do you know how much rain you got on each field? When you're in the Delta-T band when trying to spray? Do you know the humidity level in your canopies, and forecast for disease prevalence based on that?

If you get 4" of rain in one downpour on a half section 20 miles from home, and it's light and washes N out of the root zone, do you know that?

It hasn't rained in two months... but you have ample subsoil moisture, do you cut back or keep feeding the crop?
It hasn't rained in two months, but there's no subsoil. Now does your decision making change?

Do you know when it hails on your fields, and which one and what severity it hailed?

Do you know the nutrient content of your fields every day of the growing season without having to send samples away?

Didn't think so.

Do you want to keep all all your fields on a mesh network talking to each other and the equipment operating in it, feeding all the information back to home base without it going 3rd party to be harvested first?
As fully autonomous equipment becomes a reality there needs to be a communications system and base for it to talk to... That base may as well do other things while its already in the field.

This isn't for everyone, but it is for those that want to know exactly what's going on out there and then manage by data instead of emotion.

No, I really don't. Like not at all.

I'm sure you will do well at it, there seems to be enough farmers always willing to get 2 less bushels net to support these sorts of "technologies". Sometimes we can be so focused on solutions, we forget to ask if its a problem in the first place.
Valley Farmer likes this.
post #206 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
I don't want real time in field data give out anywhere because that's something that could fall in the hands of the markets and they could manipulate prices accordingly. I would rather them not know until it comes into the terminal. The small gains in efficiency are not worth the loss of free market price discovery.
post #207 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
When it proves it can make me more money consistently More bushels doesn’t equal more net return.

Split fertilizer application is best but it’s another pass in the field that isn’t free. If I had to do that on all our acres we would have to hire someone or miss out on lots of other things in life.
brazil08 likes this.

Last edited by meskie; 06-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #208 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
Disclaimer: I'm involved in the development and commercialization of the Freyr platform.
Very interesting, Christian. I'm in a bit of a different situation here, where I depend on irrigation. So this technology is interesting and useful to help manage that. Irrigation management is quite hard and more than a bit stressful especially in drought years like this one! In fact at least half my neighbors hire someone to do irrigation management.

Eventually I'd like to be at the point where each pivot circle has 2 or 3 remote moisture monitoring stations continuously monitoring conditions down to about a metre. We already have a really good computer algorithm to feed soil moisture data to, called the Alberta Irrigation Management Model. There are systems out there now that target irrigation, but they are very expensive in the short term. I can pay someone $4-5/ac to manually probe the fields a couple of times a week.

Anyway I'll have a look at your system.
BrianTee likes this.
post #209 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
I don't want real time in field data give out anywhere because that's something that could fall in the hands of the markets and they could manipulate prices accordingly. I would rather them not know until it comes into the terminal. The small gains in efficiency are not worth the loss of free market price discovery.

That's the point of this. It runs on YOUR devices. no connecting it to the internet and giving it away.

Quote:
jazz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #210 of 403 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Christian does this system only measure moisture or the fertility on the go as well? How many data points would there be per quarter or field?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page