2019 Drought in Prairies - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 419 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I've been noticing that around here this year and last year with old stone piles out in the sloughs. Even with the last couple dry years, some of these piles aren't even completely out of the water yet, so it makes a guy wonder, how freakin' dry was it when they were put there? Some of the stones are a good size, so not like they were carried by hand, most likely dragged in by horses or very early tractors, and they don't just move over a slough bed that dried up in the fall.
Thereís slews that dad and grampa used to put oats in back when they had cattle. Thoes slews started flooding back in the early 90 and have never been seeded since then. Used to grow green feed for years in them. Way before my time. Maybe thoes times will come again

Border Farmer likes this.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #22 of 419 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Around here all those type of sloughs are dry now, can see all the rock piles, guys are seeding lots of them. Had sloughs 3 yrs ago where 80 yr olds had never seen them.

Brent.
post #23 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
This year this slough is the fullest I've ever seen, probably seven feet deep. No real runoff, mostly water table fed.
In 2002 I planted barley right through the middle. That was the only year I ever saw it dry.

20190531_223925.jpg
post #24 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
So what’s with the piling rocks in slew bottoms???
post #25 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Better than dumping them in the middle of the field??
Lowmark likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Yes, rock piles in sloughs. Got lots of them. And then trees grow up from the rock pile and the trees expand and then you get a bush (ie more trees) developing. Or, as you guys are observing - you see bushes that developed in the 1950s based on tree size/age that have now drown out. Which tells you it got wet in the 50s and the low areas weren't farmed for a number of years and bushes started. In my case I was looking through the Arial photographs that the guys at the Farm Progress Show have at their booth and was looking at land we now farm with pictures from the early 50s and you can see treeless sloughs where now we have a large bush. Looking at old photographs can be informative if you know what to look for.

Just trying to give guys info to consider. I may be proven wrong but will at least do what I can to support my views. Thursday was 31 deg, yesterday was 16 C at 3 pm in bright sunshine and no wind. We are told this is evidence of global warming. You need to decide for yourself. Rainfall is Saskatchewan is highly variable year over year, always has been. Our government officials seem to think the recorded history from 1880 to 1980 defines the extremes we will ever see and anything that sets a new extreme is because of global warming. I won't buy that but that's just my view.

Yes, it's very dry. I even posted something to that effect a few years ago that would happen when discussing climate. I didn't expect it this dry but I do expect moisture to return but not at all to the levels we saw a few years ago and it won't be consistently wet like 2006-2016. It will be variable year over year which is typical of Regina area and not global warming.

I could go on but will drop this in here. I posted this link to all these old slides a few years ago. I am going to mention it again as I mentioned it a few years ago - look at the skies. Look at the type of cloud cover as it changes through the wet cycle from the big sheets of clouds to the puffy white ones. Think back to your own observations looking up day after day, year after year. Next up in my area is the times of clear skies and puffy white clouds - and earlier frosts. But global warming is sure to prove that wrong so you decide.

https://everettbakerslides.smugmug.com/
Border Farmer likes this.
post #27 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Dr Ross McKenzie lives in southern AB and predicts based on soil reserve moisture wheat yields to be 15 to 20 at best this year.
Lol ya that ainít happening.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Saw something from Larry Weber about how we had no rain until late June in 2015 and still produced a good crop, which completely ignored the subsoil issue. A lot of Southern Ab has very fortunately gotten really good rains to start the season, but I understand why guys from Bow Island to Moose Jaw are starting to fret. No subsoil moisture makes things tough.

I do not however, at all, buy McKenzies line about how 6-7” of moisture will only produce 15-20 bu. It’s total nonsense and has little real world value.

Any inquiries-

Last edited by kauppfarms; 06-01-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #29 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Lots of carrot river photos in there Kenmb. That is similar and not to far from my area. Rainfall has did more harm to my crops the last 10 yrs than being dry. I remember being dry and my barley being 8" tall but that was years back. Late 80's. The last few yrs 4" rains all to common in 20 minutes. I have seen roads wash out and the local RM struggle with culverts and bridges failing over the past several yrs. No body likes a drought but flooding is no fun either. I remember that dry yr combining 30 bu barley and it was worth 97 cents. Grain prices were in the tank bad those few yrs. I must have really loved my occupation because I am still here!
garyfunk and Border Farmer like this.
post #30 of 419 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
I always like looking back at old photos to see how much things have changed. I always think back to when I was in school and there were a couple people who always said that farmers were destroying the world, because in their minds we clear cut every tree for hundreds of miles in our area! I showed them one of the first pictures ever taken of the town and there was barely a tree in site, but their reasoning was the farmers had already cut them all down!!! lol Ambitious bunch those first couple settlers! Now you look at pictures taken from the same area, and trees are everywhere. Some people are brainwashed from childhood and no logic will ever sink in.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page