2019 Drought in Prairies - Page 39 - The Combine Forum
 237Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
We’ve had about nine inches in the last month or so, I say bring it on as I hate dust.

Haying is pretty slow not really any made yet locally but a month ago it looked like there was any but now it should be close to average.

post #382 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I now have 2.76" of rain for the year. Had a land lord tell me the driest year he has ever had was 2.89" In another severe drought here.

post #383 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Sure glad someone is getting rain, last rain here was june 16, we had 1.6", and in total stand at 2.3".....no hay, no green feed, and hoppers are starting!!! We are in a desert like pocket, and its no fun at all.
RunninREDharD and lanwickum like this.
post #384 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Just so you know they have airplanes that can spray!

Your going to be hating life come harvest rutting up your pea ground.
Airplane booked for fungicide in peas. Upgraded to a JD 4730 this spring. A drag see it sitting in yard while a plane spraying my crop. Another 1.5" here east of Edmonton in the last few days. That did make the decision to hire a plane easier!
post #385 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzer View Post
Sure glad someone is getting rain, last rain here was june 16, we had 1.6", and in total stand at 2.3".....no hay, no green feed, and hoppers are starting!!! We are in a desert like pocket, and its no fun at all.
Farming these pockets is not fun. Was checking drought conditions map and it shows me normal, none. Around me is not bad, not great this year. I have not had a single rain give over 1/2" this year. Last good rain was May 28 at 0.42". The cooler weather is saving me. The amazing part is how many clouds I have. Not many sunny days this year. Had UPS man drop off a package yesterday and he commented how I miss all the rain. He said he just drove through rain and water was running down the road less than 10 miles from me. I watched rain all around me yesterday. A cloud went over and dropped just south east of me. At the same time I watched one come at me and stop raining within a few miles from me toward the north west. At the same time one pasted me just north east between my farm and my moms. Like I have a force field to block rain. A few weeks ago I was checking a rain accumulation map. A pocket of almost no rain around the land I farm. Only a few miles south of me was over 2" of rain. Sorry to sound like a competition of I have less rain... I guess I am venting with a forecast of sun and 80s for as far out as it goes. I would buy you a beer so we can cry about it together and let out tears help water the crops.
post #386 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
We are still sitting with 3.35" total rain since April 1. It's good to see other area's getting rain, makes me hopeful that in general the 3 year drought we are in is staring to turn.

Next year looking better I hope.
garyfunk, SWMan and b-Rant like this.
post #387 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Ken Adams

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Sitting in one of those dry holes!!
Finished terminating the Durum yesterday - try again next year.
Hoping barley and lentils come through with a little to thresh

post #388 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
That's tough sitting in a pocket with no rain. That's how May and too much of June went here. Have about 4.5" now since seeding started so crops looking better. Peas probably took a good hit being stunted in the dryness but stretching out now. Alot of my flax and mustard got going with the June 15 rain and was toe high on first of July. Not sure if there is an old farmer saying about that to feel good about.
post #389 of 403 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
So wish we could share with you drought guys. Rains almost every day here. Water sitting in the fields any place there is a bit of a low spot.
Early crops still doing quite well, especially the wheat and faba beans. A lot of the canola that was seeded the middle of May and later is struggling.
Good thing most crops got off to a good start over here.
There must be some really good areas somewhere between us and you drought guys! lol
post #390 of 403 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Any one by the Manitoba USA border get hit with rain last night. Was looking at the raider at 5am this morning it didn’t look good. Got hit with a another 3” last night here. South of winnipeg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page