Land title issue - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Land title issue

Was called by a neighbour today about a five acre square in my home quarter. During seeding land titles wrote to tell me that this land had not been transferred from the previous owner because the owner before that hadnít transferred it to them. Land titles said the owner was will to release the land for transfer provided no cost was involved to them. Now today the neighbour said he offered the owner substantial money for the plot so he could build more houses on it like his field next to it. Problem for him is I own everything around the plot. Iíve farmed the land for 16 years and only now has the ownership come into question. Until land titles letter we were unaware that we didnít own it. Where do I legally stand. The plot is land locked and has no access only over my land which wonít be happening. Rather not throw money at the lawyers but I think itís the only way to resolve this. Really made my blood boil when this guy told me that he was going to buy it and would I be interested in a land swap so he could have access to it. Thanks.

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
What a slim ball move. Have to go back and see what was all wrote in your agreement of sale 16 years agon

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Barn
I don't know about your laws up there but here after a certain amount of time if the land is utilized by a party without opposition from another party the land is considered to be part of the adjoining farm as in your case the 5 acres is yours.

I' going through a similar battle here in a pasture along an abandoned RR right of way in which its shows the rail easement 75' past the existing fence into my property. Adjacent landowner is trying to force me to move the fence which won't happen. Existing fence that has been in place here for 7 years or more and unchallenged is considered the boundary line. In my case the RR was responisble for placing the fence which was done 40+ years ago, he has no case. Its called "boundary by acquiescence".

I don't know if any of that is relevant to your case. You've got a real bullshit deal.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Unless I'm not understanding something here, In order for it to have separate title it would have to have been subdivided at some time and it would HAVE to have access or the subdivision would never have been approved. If it somehow has no right of way and you have no intensions of providing one, what does this guy think he's going to do with it??.
tswanson and 1972RedNeck like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Unless I'm not understanding something here, In order for it to have separate title it would have to have been subdivided at some time and it would HAVE to have access or the subdivision would never have been approved. If it somehow has no right of way and you have no intensions of providing one, what does this guy think he's going to do with it??.

Agreed. As long as he has no access, forget about it and carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Tell him the only thing he can build there is a helicopter landing pad, because that's the only way he will ever be able to get to it. How long was since the original owner didn't transfer the land to the last owner who you bought it from? Fairly certain there is a time limit in a situation like this.
joesixpack, SWMan and Oat King like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Was bought in 2000 by my family and I bought it in 2003. Previous to that it was sold by the people wanting to sell it again in 97. Lawyers never caught the **** up back in 97 so my lawyer never had that parcel of land to transfer. Going to check with the RM to see if my property tax included those acres. As for claiming the land I’ve read that adverse possession is not allowed in mb or Ontario.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Didn't your lawyer do a title search when your family or you bought it? If this guy claims ownership and hasn't paid his taxes for 19 years then the local gov't would have long since taken over!
TSIPP and kevlar like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Call up the neighbor and tell him you’d be all for selling him the land to join it to his block for a bargain of 5,000,000 an acre.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I would see who has been paying tax on it for the last several years, as mentioned. If it was you then you will have a significantly stronger case.

lanwickum likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in