18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
What kind of shape was the 4020 in?
I didn't actually loom it over. had a bucket and a cab, paint was faded and the rad (shell) was bent up. That's all I know

Quote:
That is a cheap price around here. Assuming you're talking CAD that should be around $6500 USD, those rarely go under $10k here, mostly $15-20k in decent shape, best I've seen was $24k.
Why? What is so special about them. Seems like a LOT for that old and size of a tractor.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I didn't actually loom it over. had a bucket and a cab, paint was faded and the rad (shell) was bent up. That's all I know

Why? What is so special about them. Seems like a LOT for that old and size of a tractor.
Because this is the corn belt and JD is the king and some think the sun set when they quit making the 4020. I personally don't care for them that much but do love to watch the on an auction, especially if they are clean, low hour late models with side controls and power shift.

Some in the green crowd believe its in the bible as well... "on the ninth day God said I need a tractor and made the 4020"...

mustard likes this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
I was thinking of trying that. A 4020 went for $8500. I thought maybe I could paint my Belarus 5184 green and sell it.
Any decent 4020 is worth $8500 if itís a powershift. Most older Belarus I see are parked in the trees
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post

Plus kevlar is right, auctions don't often make sense. Depends who shows up.
Or how well the auctioneer can make you dance with yourself.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Green combines went cheap at last auction.
2012 S 680 and S 690 with 1200 sep hrs..$136,000 and $138,000...Both had pickups..
A Massey went higher...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Quote:

Well I have both a 4020 and a slightly smaller older Belarus 800. The Belarus hardly gets used except for occasional 3pt work and I could buy ten or more of the Belarus for what my late 4020 is worth and personally I'll stick with what I have, not hard to tell which I depend on lol.
I think its more of a generational thing as in a persons age that plays into how they hold their value, I suspect in 20 or whatever years when the likes of me are gone you will see them drop. But until then, if they do the work of a newer one for a fraction of the capital cost, why not? Shows just how advanced the hydraulics and more were on them, that they can still hold there own against a newer one today. Much as my two cylinders like my 830, the 20 series were the cool tractors of the day back then, and to some of us will always be just part of doing what we enjoy. I actually have several of that series and still use them daily.

Kind of reminds me of back when I moved rigs, my old '72 HD Kenworth was the oldest truck in North America with Mullen's name on the door...but specialized division paid me just as much per hour for it as they paid the guy I bought it from with his new one...they all did the same work. Now given Mullen knew I had rebuilt it from one end to the other and sure, they needed trucks and weren't about to turn away someone with experience. Did some of the other leasers dislike me, dam rights, my entire truck was worth less than six months payments on a new one. And again, it was a personal choice to drive it, same with the tractor.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
4020’s are wort all of $8500 in Michigan, most you see are asking more than that unless there just about destined for the scrap yard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page