Deere HPX Gator Transmission - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Deere HPX Gator Transmission

Well had took a run out back to check my parts balers for some parts before supper, was just coming into the back of the yard when there was an abrupt lurch, bang and then lots of grinding noise coming out from under the box of the Gator...stopped quick kicked it into neutral, everything then sounding as normal, and had a look, oil puking out excessively where tranny case bolts together just ahead of the hitch which is the lower part of the case where the differential would be. Got back on and put it back in forward, it still drives but there is a whirring/grinding noise, so just pulled it off to the side off the road and left it for now. Sitting here after supper with a coffee and almost **** myself, just looked on jdparts and since the case halves are over $1600 plus together, figured I'd check what a tranny is worth...south of 7K
Not happy, depend on that little bugger, just turned over 1K hours the other day, but it had the signs of someone being inside the tranny before I bought it with 450hrs almost ten years ago. Its a 2004 gas 4x4.

Anyone know of a outside source for those trannies? I highly doubt Deere builds them. I'll tear into it and try to weld the case or whatever long before I'll dump 1600 just into those halves, never mind over 7k for a whole tranny. My guess is some bearing or such must have failed and some gears climbed on each other. Any ideas or suggestions for a quick fix be appreciated. Anyone been inside one of those? I have the manuals but have never read up on the tranny. Never had the need too till now lol.

Thanks

Just for reference in case someone needed it, the Deere part number for a complete new tranny is MIA11590
My serial is 42612

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Last edited by albertabuck; 08-19-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Probably buy a used hpx for 1-2k

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
the Deere part number for a complete new tranny is MIA11590

Hate to tell you this, but it might be impossible to find a tranny for this, you see, it's even put in the part number.

MIA- Missing in Action.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Probably buy a used hpx for 1-2k
You know something the rest of us don't? I challenge you to post a single listing for at least one like mine for under 4K in Western Canada, thats double what you think they can be bought for...I think you might be in for a bit of a surprise...even a used kiddy Peg Prego electrics are @500 bucks lol.

As for what cratered, went out after supper, figured do a bit of testing and diagnosis, with the case already buggered, well not much worse can happen now, and tried throwing the diff lock in, made no difference, then threw it in reverse and tried that, was a soft clunk and everything went as it should. Back into forward, went a few feet and clunk with the grinding again. Back into reverse and figured I'd park it more out of the way, couple of hundred feet no issues at all. Then just for shits and giggles back into forward and presto everything as it should be. Was only a couple hundred yards past the bins to the shop so figured what the heck, everything would still be covered with oil and nice and slow got it close to shop and out of my way for the time being. Closer look at the tranny case where it split, reason it broke both sides, is the hitch mounts straddle the flanges of the case and so when things piled up it had to blow both sides. Only cracked the bottom part so not sure if I can weld them up or not.
Definitely the diff that piled up, possible something ultimately went thru the crown and pinion, dunno, just guessing at this point.
Had to go rake hay and be busy wacking out some horsey hay for the next couple days, maybe when it rains I'll have time to look further.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page