stress - The Combine Forum
 51Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
stress

A post on another thread by Jake676 made a very important point.

https://supportline.ca/ is the website for the Manitoba Farm Support Services. 1-866-367-3276 is their toll free phone number.

Prices and weather are not on our side this year and it does pile up.

Contact them if you need them, that is their job and what they are there for. I used to work with a couple of them in a past career, they are good people.

I don't know about the services available in other provinces/states so if someone has them please post them.

torriem and adsinaus like this.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Barn
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/ne...s-iowa-farmers

One for Iowa but I'm certain anyone that called in would be helped. I know a person that works with it and says their call volume is the highest its been. No one is alone in this fight, we're all in together.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Mental health is the most important health but the least talked about and has the least resources for it. It seems to be considered a bit more this day and age but still light yrs away from what I would call a working system. I have lost people in my community to mental health and they were he nicest people you could meet and have a conversation with. It is hard to imagine that things could get bad enough to take your own life but it happens everyday. We had our MLA (my neighbor growing up) married with kids take his own life yrs ago. Also a friend of just about everyone and local mayor (yrs back) that was involved with everything in the community with wife and kids took his own life a yr or so ago. Another who struggled with alchohal as well with very loving family and lots of friends. I remember so many incidents of suicide yrs back that it scares me now. Thinking about how many in such a small community with 900 people have taken their own life is sad. Mental health afflictions knows no boundaries. You don't have to be poor or wealthy or addicted to be mentally unstable. It is a problem that is getting worse because of the stress to succeed and the news around the world of gloom and doom at our fingertips and our childrens (which is the most disturbing). When I grew up the world news was the thing I knew the least about. I was in bed before the 10 o'clock news came on lol. Nowadays you can treat yourself to watching the worlds problems 24/7 by every device we have at our disposal. Yes the weather is bad and yes the prices suck. And yes the combine might grenade but there is so much more to life so find help if you need it. It's just a hiccup in life that you have no control over. If the bank takes the farm it might not be a bad thing lol. Just think of the stress reduction!!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Having done this type of work for many years I can tell you that there is no way of knowing how things truly are with people just by looking at them. Some will show outward signs, some won't.

Don't be afraid of this subject with others. This is an intimidating subject to broach with people in private but one of the most important subjects you can bring up. All you have to do is look them in the eyes in and say "how are you doing?" You don't have to have all the answers because nobody does. All you need are ears to listen with. If things are really serious and you feel that you are in over your head or think there may be imminent risk there are professionals at the end of a phone for help, you are never alone in this.

The first few suicidal people I dealt with scared the crap out of me; I didn't really know what to say or do, I didn't have all the answers for their issues. Soon I realized that all you have to be is trustworthy and all you have to do is listen. Again, if you have ANY doubts or questions when dealing with someone who is having difficulty phone the crisis lines yourself and ask what to do.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
It's a serious topic. Now and then I wonder where poster "uthinkyourwet" went. The last few postings he was talking of being stressed, then gone. Some people tried offering support and others were none to kind.
As for what Dookiller posted, I hope that if guys weren't old enough in the mid 80s that they pay attention to these things. There was a farm girl a couple grades below me that came home from school one day and never had a dad anymore because of those times. And so pay attention when someone like uthinkyourwet post certain things.

The reason I quit my full time job was because of stress. In hindsight I should have used some of the services that working for a multinational company offers but I had my mind set I needed to get out. Probably a good indication of someone who needed to make a phone call. As a result of that much of what I do on the farm is aimed at limiting my exposure to stress. Call it risk adverse if you will. Its easy to note in my posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
It’s not the weather/crops or prices....it’s the dumb **** running this country and the morons that might vote him in again

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Alberta Mental Health Help Line 1-877-303-2642

If you're wondering if you should call, just call.
adsinaus, lanwickum and lander2 like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Mental health is serious topic these past years for farmers.

You are not alone.
Last year shut me down for a few days when I realized I had no way to pay off my debts for the year. I could hardly even harvest. I sat rerunning numbers over and over. Talked with a good financial adviser and mentioned selling out and getting out of farming. Even told my land lords, put land up for sale. Sold a few pieces of equipment. Started making a serious plan out. The relief of accepting this fact was a HUGE load off my shoulders. I physically felt much better instantly. Talked about this with one of land lords that just retired. He mentioned the same thing. Retire was not something he wanted to do. It was a relief when he did it. He was good at the business and money side and believe he retired with money. The physical work side was getting to him. He was getting older.

As it turned out I had a fair amount of unexpected income coming in from insurance and things. The equipment sold was stuff I didn't really NEED. I am still farming. It is still not easy. Find people you trust for honest opinions and talk to them. I talked with a number of people I trust from financial advisers, family members, good friends. It wasn't easy, I don't talk about my problems much. It felt better every time I did. Now I am willing to share my experience knowing how much it helped me. I never had self destructive thoughts, I know this happens. The help was amazing, not always what I expected. Gave me options I had not thought of.

Call those help lines. They are there to help.

FYI, hitting that "post quick reply" button was not easy to do. It feel it is important.

Pray often!

Last edited by lanwickum; 09-11-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added the last line
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
It's a serious topic. Now and then I wonder where poster "uthinkyourwet" went. The last few postings he was talking of being stressed, then gone. Some people tried offering support and others were none to kind.
As for what Dookiller posted, I hope that if guys weren't old enough in the mid 80s that they pay attention to these things. There was a farm girl a couple grades below me that came home from school one day and never had a dad anymore because of those times. And so pay attention when someone like uthinkyourwet post certain things.

The reason I quit my full time job was because of stress. In hindsight I should have used some of the services that working for a multinational company offers but I had my mind set I needed to get out. Probably a good indication of someone who needed to make a phone call. As a result of that much of what I do on the farm is aimed at limiting my exposure to stress. Call it risk adverse if you will. Its easy to note in my posts.
Im sure hes still around. We lost a **** load of members with the password change issue. This message board mechanisms is a joke not user friendly at all.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Unread 09-11-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
I think he posted on here not too long ago, believe it was to do with how dry he was this year and thought he might have to change his name on here.

My mistake, it was another poster, had to go back and check. Sorry.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevlar; Yesterday at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in