CDL Driving Test Question - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM
crw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I went to a private driving school and paid them $200 for one hour of time. Went over the pretrip inspection and took a drive in there truck and trailer. Helped me out a lot. They asked me what I wanted them to do. I said I needed to pass my test and that's what I got.

The owner thought I should take there 2 month course that was a half day long 3 times a week. I told them I have a job already but just need a class one(Cdl).

Last edited by crw; 03-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
durallymax,

I should have explained my situation better. I had an accident in my pickup about 3 years ago. So that would keep me from getting on with a major carrier even if I wanted to. My night vision isn't that great anymore so I try to limit my night driving. I used to unload whole semis, but my back probably wouldn't handle day after day of that now. I just need a CDL for local work. For construction, oilfield, etc. you usually need a CDL now days.

I found a job driving a water truck at a local bottom feeder oil field company that would hire anybody. Everyone there had bad driving records. Someone I knew messed that up for me though. It wasn't related to my driving. I've drove on harvest crews before, but with a bad mark I'm pretty much out of luck on that for now. I know they're hurting for help in ND. I don't know if there are any bottom feeders there that would put me on. I might have to wait till that mark is off my record. Most companies go back 5 years. I was just trying to come up with something that would be a little easier.

crw,

That sounds like something I'm looking for. In MS, They would send out a guy to give the test. For the $100 fee, he would pass about anybody. I hear there is a guy in OH that for $250 will give you one day of classroom and driving. In the afternoon you take your test in short day cab with a short flatbed trailer and have your CDL. There is no driving school here that can do the tests.

So, how's that hope and change thing workin' out for ya?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I didn't take the test at the driving school. But they would get a tester in if I wanted to do it that way. I ended up doing my test closer to home with my own truck and trailer. I needed more practice backing up around corners before I could pass the test.
Good luck on your search. Colin
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This may not format correctly, but here's the link in case.... http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/dlhb.pdf

LICENSE CLASSES
(1) Commercial class A motor vehicles include any combination of vehicles with a
gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the gross
vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000
pounds;
(2) commercial class B motor vehicles include any single vehicle with a gross vehicle
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle
not in excess of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating;
(3) commercial class C motor vehicles include any single vehicle less than 26,001
pounds gross vehicle weight rating, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in
excess of 10,000 pounds, or any vehicle less than 26,001 pounds gross vehicle
weight rating towing a vehicle in excess of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
rating, provided the gross combination weight rating of the combination is less
than 26,001 pounds comprising:
(A) Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the
driver; or
(B) vehicles used in the transportation of hazardous materials which requires
the vehicle to be placarded;
(4) class A motor vehicles include any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross combination
weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000
pounds, and all other lawful combinations of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or more; except that, class A does not include
a combination of vehicles that has a truck registered as a farm truck under
subsection (2) of K.S.A. 8-143, and amendments thereto;
(5) class B motor vehicles include any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in
excess of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating. Class B motor vehicles
do not include a single vehicle registered as a farm truck under subsection (2)
of K.S.A. 8-143, and amendments thereto, when such farm truck has a gross
vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or more; or any fire truck operated by a
volunteer fire department;
(6) class C motor vehicles include any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating
less than 26,001 pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess
of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, or any vehicle with a less than
26,001 gross vehicle weight rating towing a vehicle in excess of 10,000 pounds
gross vehicle weight rating, provided the gross combination weight rating of
the combination is less than 26,001 pounds, or any single vehicle registered as
a farm truck under subsection (2) of K.S.A. 8-143, and amendments thereto,
when such farm truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or
more, or any fire truck operated by a volunteer fire department; and
(7) class M motor vehicles includes motorcycles.
— 3 —
As used in this subsection, “gross vehicle weight rating” means the value specified by
the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a single or a combination (articulated)
vehicle. The gross vehicle weight rating of a combination (articulated) vehicle, commonly
referred to as the gross combination weight rating, is the gross vehicle weight rating of
the power unit plus the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed unit or units.
MOTORIZED BICYCLE (MOPED)
No person shall drive any motorized bicycle upon a highway or street in Kansas unless:
(1) Such person has a valid driver’s license which entitles the licensee to drive a
motor vehicle in any class or classes; or,
(2) Such person is at least fifteen (15) years of age and has passed the vision and
the written examination required for obtaining a Class C driver’s license.
No driver can be issued a moped (motorized bicycle) license if the driver has an alcohol
test failure, test refusal, or conviction or evaded arrest within the last five years.
AGE REQUIREMENTS
Driver Licenses
Commercial Class A, B or C (Interstate): 21 years of age or older
Commercial Class A, B or C (Intrastate): 18 years of age or older
Non-Commercial Class A or B: 18 years of age or older
Non-Commercial Class C: 17 years of age or older
Non-Commercial Class C (Restricted): 15 years of age, completed driver’s education,
completed (25 of the) 50 hours
of practice driving while accompanied
by an adult, 21 years of age or older,
10 of those 50 at night.
Non-Commercial Class C or M 16 years of age, completed 50 hours of
(Less Restricted Privileges): practice driving while accompanied by
an adult, 21 years of age or older; 10
of those at night
Non-Commercial Class C (Farm Permit): 14 or 15 years of age
Non-Commercial Class C (Less 16 years of age, completed 50 hours of
practice driving while accompanied by
an adult, 21 years of age or older; 10
of those at night
For a more complete explanation of driving ages and requirements refer to
www.ksrevenue.org/vehicle.htm
Instruction Permits
Class C or M Instruction Permit: 14 years of age or older
Non-Commercial Class A or B Instruction Permit: 18 years of age or older
Commercial Instruction Permit (any class) 18 years of age or older

"...Kansas wheat field farmer, let me thank you for your time, you work 40 hours a week for a living, just to send it on down the line.."
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Me and my uncle took our driving test on the last day that they offered it at our local facility. We just so happened to call about a week before and they said we only have a week left and i only do one a day and there's only one appointment left. It helped that we knew the lady that gave the tests at the time, we explained to her that we were going to be driving the same truck and it would be there that day. She said alright, I'll go ahead and get both of you done. As far as the pretrip, she would point you in a direction and ask what you need to look for here and there. She would ask a few questions such as brake wear and such. Then the driving part. pretty much took it around the block, and then had to back it up between two lines and stop at a cone without hitting it. Had to do the same going forwards also. One other point that I had to do was make a right hander out of the parking lot and come as close as I could to the curb with the trailer without hitting it. She made me use the clutch for shifts also. It wasn't too bad of a test. Just glad I didn't have to go to a big city and try to take it. Now I'd be fine, but after just learning to drive one I probably would have been intimidated.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM

In Illinois the pre-trip inspection wasn't nearly as hard as the skills part in my opinion. The guy that tested me kind of set up the questions for pretrip, asked questions like what would you look for to know your lug nuts are tight? Kind of led you into the areas of the truck, but you still needed to know your stuff. The skills part was much tougher... Having to stop with the front bumper in a 6 inch area, backing up to a dock from an angled starting position and stopping with the back bumper within 6 inches but not touching, going around a turn and having the back axle of the trailer in a 6 inch area painted on the road. These are all done at a moving speed, not a stop and check and redo. The back up one you had one chance to go back and see how close you were. The road driving was a piece of cake.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:54 PM

You should always do a walk around and check your tires, lights etc. when you stop, but you don't have to log it in your log book....

Last year i saw a guy drop the trailer as he was exiting the truck stop, apparently some idiot pulled his fifth wheel out when he went inside to do whatever. Every since then i always check my fifth wheel and fuel caps when i leave my truck for even 5 min. http://www.cdl4sure.com/free-cdl-tests.html

andy

Last edited by andybittchel; 12-22-2013 at 02:54 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 PM

If you know the components of a truck and can properly operate it there will be no problem passing the test. I drove and worked on trucks for 10 yrs on the farm before getting my cdl, I was super nervous as I prepared for the test and it turned out the written test was much harder then the pre trip or driving part. In mn the dot seems to be tough and the dmv is for sure tough but I passed with ease. So just be comfortable and confident. I know for sure I dont want a bunch of short cut cdl's handed out to people running around at 80+klbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page