JD 8440 - oil leak in clutch compartment - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JD 8440 - oil leak in clutch compartment

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and already new here and already have an issue that I need advice on.
Few months ago we've bot JD 8440 here in Lithuania. It is good conditiona, recently had engine swapped by previous owner.
Issue:
We've dismounted starter motor and noticed that 'clutch compartment' and starter itself is full of hydraulic oil.
So, we have dismounted whole engine, to find what is wrong. The issue we have - we can't understand where this oil leaks from. Can anyone give a hint of what is the most known issue for blowing hydraulic fluid (oil) in the place where engine and transmission joins together?

We would be very thankful for the advice where we should look next. We just need to find the origin of the leak, but since engine is now dismounted, there is no oil pressure in the system.

Thanks,
Michail

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
The clutch on those tractors run in oil so the hydraulic oil is supposed to be in there. It is in essence an oil cooled clutch. Since you have already split the tractor and have the motor out I would probably put a new rear main seal in the motor, have the clutch pack checked to see if anything needs to be replaced, and inspect and fix anything else that is easily to get at while you have it this far apart. I say the rear main because we had that go on our 8440 years back and you have to pull the motor to fix it and it pumps motor oil into the trany when it fails, not a good thing.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Oh no That sucks if you already have to tore apart...as 2388 said, that clutch runs in oil.

If someone told you there shouldn't be oil there, drag them behind the shed and beat them with a stick

Welcome to the forum, sorry your first posting is not something you're gonna be happy about

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
x2

JD Master Certified Tech
Proud owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys, very good info. Pitty, I haven't asked that before dismounting the whole engine. This is the hard lesson learned. Don't think we will go for rear main seal as engine swap was recently done by previous owner, so all should be fine and serviced.
The only open question left:
Our starter motor failed to function and when we checked it - inside of starter motor was full of hydraulic oil. Could anyone experiences advice on reason of oil being inside starter?
The only thought we have - probably starter wasn't properly sealed, or the starter is not the one to be used with this kind of 'wet clutch'? Or maybe this could indicated any more serious problem?

Thanks,
Michail
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
If you were getting oil inside the starter itself, that would be a failed seal on the armature shaft behind the Bendix drive. Could be just a bad seal, maybe bearings wore...either rebuild starter or install a re manufactured one IMO. Make sure it is the right one for that tractor, others will fit, but won't have a seal in them

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM

I believe you just may have a bad seal in the starter motor. You may just have to either rebuild it or get a new or recon starter for that unit.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, we will check the seals inside starter. Very good input.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

One more question about 8440: We have problems starting the engine. It looks like starter is turning the engine too slowly, and when finally it starts turning faster - engine starts start away. What we think, maybe it is too hard for starter to turn whole system with hydraulic pump etc. Maybe there is some kind of switch that we should use? I mean the switch could e.g. turn off hydraulic pump and then turn it on after engine is running?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
I don't know specifically for an 8440, I don't have a tractor that big, but what you're looking for is a "Cold Start Kit". It does exactly that, bypasses all hydraulic flow until the engine is started. On smaller tractors, there is a poppet you can screw in manually that does this, then you have to turn it back out when started. I wouldn't know where to tell you it is, if it is, on that tractor, sorry.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page