S680 pro drive failure - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well i have cooked 3 or 4 of these pro-drives. I do believe they failed from operators being a little extreme. The most sensitive area is the service brakes. Operators tend to rest there feet on the brake peddles which are way more aggressive with them using actual hydraulic pressure instead of a master cylinder setup. This system disintegrates brake pads very quickly, contaminating the system with brake linings. Then it is down hill from there if you don't catch it in time and repair the pads and flush the fluids. Since training my operators to stay off the brake pedals and NEVER use them on the turn row I have yet to lose another one. My 2 cents..... I'm sure there are other failures but mine i believe are from abuse after inspecting them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post

Obviously they are failing over in Australia, and that is bad. It's a horribly expensive thing to fail and is unacceptable.
And Dangerous!! The guy i was speaking to said he was lucky he had a 40 ft front on otherwise it would have landed on it's windscreen!!! The front dug into the ground about 2 ft. 4 ProDrives in a season (800 hrs) before they traded him out

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Ouch this is sounding like the Gm recall BS.. They better figure that out quick, might be why it's kept so secret...

Think the concept is a great idea, and once it's dialled in, it will be popular by all colors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
After working on well over 50 prodrive machines the only one I have seen with a failure was one from a neighbouring dealership that did not have the PIPs for the prodrive done. Most opererator complaints were usually fixed with a little training and/or software. But there is always the Friday afternoon ones that slip through the cracks.

Travis
John Deere Master Technician / 9630T, S690 Operator
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My machine maintainence is very strict, so you can delete that theory. I have been driving combines for 22years without a transmission failure so you can delete operator error. Deere took my destroyed pro drive away to investigate and they identified they had a fault, however would not let the fault be known. They were very obliging and quick to act, some might say to keep me quiet. Currently pre season servicing and part of that is going to be pulling the pro drive down and checking bolt torque hopefully We find them loose so I can start something up again because I really believe they have an issue in Aus.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 AM
None

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswoosher View Post
Deere took my destroyed pro drive away to investigate and they identified they had a fault, however would not let the fault be known. They were very obliging and quick to act, some might say to keep me quiet.
Yes, we have had that exact behaviour. I dare say they are shitting big bessa blocks about a potential class action from many customers as this is a big safety issue. I dare say swoosher, you would have got the subtle mail notice about possible park brake failure on pro drives and try and park on level ground.!!! Someone with reindeere undies told us how to word our letter to JD when trying to get the 2nd new box. We were instructed to keep useing the term "safety issue" and "dangerous". It seemed to work. Got the box.

Bought another JD this year too so not a Deere basher. Just get this **** sorted already.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswoosher View Post
My machine maintainence is very strict, so you can delete that theory. I have been driving combines for 22years without a transmission failure so you can delete operator error. Deere took my destroyed pro drive away to investigate and they identified they had a fault, however would not let the fault be known. They were very obliging and quick to act, some might say to keep me quiet. Currently pre season servicing and part of that is going to be pulling the pro drive down and checking bolt torque hopefully We find them loose so I can start something up again because I really believe they have an issue in Aus.
There is definitely an issue bigswoosher, Have a close friend who had a pro drive failure in an 9770 and know of two other contractors who have had multiple pro drive failures in S series machines. Don't know exactly what happened, but was told 4 bolts worked their way loose and the heads broke off and went through the gearing apparently. Owners are now battling with John Deere to get warranty. Chesterfields in Moree were very impressive in being able to get my mates machine going again quickly , however there is no reason why it wont happen again.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not a basher either phantom, bought another myself this year. Still just a bit concerned the problem hasn't been solved, so I'm digging at the moment.
Chesterfields Goondi replaced mine and I guess it's because of this type of service that I keep going back to Deere.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4453 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
Bought another JD this year too so not a Deere basher. Just get this **** sorted already.
Maybe you should sic your dog on Deere, the one in your avatar.
It can feel like a fight like that when dealing with issues like this!
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
So a friend of mine is just signing the paperwork on two 2010 9770s with around 400hrs today, will probably drive them home (about 80 miles). Is there something they should be checking or doing with Deere before they do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why is there never time and money to do it correctly but there's always plenty to do it again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page