S680 pro drive failure - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
Yes but there are a lot of times you want to drive more than 8 mph to get back to the truck, to move down the lane, to drive around the big swamp in the middle of the field....it's nice to harvest in 3rd but sucks to shift when it does power out. Also is nice to throttle back in 3rd and save some fuel when you finish on the wrong end of the field and have a 2 mile drive back to the gate.... That's the beauty of ProDrive....I just drive at what speed I tell it and it goes. Period. Also sucks when roading our Case and it power out on a hill in 4th and you have to stop and shift on a steep incline...another reason ProDrive works great when roading in steep hills.
Some of use wont to harvest above 8mph to, deere has reworked lots of 3 speeds to help with legs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Another 1. 2 for the year seperate machines. My 680 a repeat offender has its 4th in it now. My 2014 670, 670hrs just been diagnosed knackered to be replaced Friday, before we head off to whack sorghum. I'm starting to peer over the fence.

post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Carn the Cats

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
The new box this year (2014) is noisey. Got a restricted prodrive filter warning, at the end of the season. One would think theres something going on in there judging by the filings. JD techs just reckon its left overs from the last box failure!!!! Crikey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.23 MB, 87 views)

Last edited by phantom970; 03-21-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The first time I drove my used S680 I was shocked at the severity of
the "SHIFTING."

I immediately found out how to set the shifting to 1 of the 4 available
patterns.

I don't think there is any way a mechanical device can stand up to that
terrible shifting.

MS
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Crikey is polite phantom, I'd say complain more with your dealership to get a new drive but then there is probably no point because the new ones are no better. At this stage we just have to treat them like a spark plug and replace them when they are knackered. My tip is a PIP released mid year.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Carn the Cats

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
F_ck me!!!! Guess what swoosher. No more crikey. Its just Fckin ****. As of 12.30pm today.
New big job, trying to impress new client with some good gear, third boxful of sorghum, beep beep beep from GS3. Cant move header. Prodrive pressure. Prodrive F_cked. AGAIN!!! This is the third one for this machine, 3yrs old. This box was new at start of 2014 harvest. I guess i shouldnt have posted above. Put the mocka on myself. Thankfully it didnt do it on the highway or in town. Filter full of filings. Pull face plate of gearbox. Metal, shavings, bits of clutch plate, gear teeth. Lovely.

Client is understanding enough but the five truckies arent to happy. Cant blame them, takes some planning for them when moving grain interstate.

90 day warranty for this component off the JD shelf. There will be some sh_t fight over this. F_cked if we gunna pay $30k?? For a new box.

JD prodrive blows. It wouldn't even make a good boat anchor. Bring back the cable and 3sp box.

Last edited by phantom970; 03-21-2015 at 06:26 AM.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tried some moreys?
Sorry to hear your having that sort of drama again. Perhaps suggest to jd warranty dept that they might like to use that box as a suppository. Failing that an an anchor to tie to a rt I'm about to drown. Go John deere You spankers.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Not trying to jump in the middle of it but with the 10+ combines on the crew I was on during 2014 harvest in the states, not one had a ProDrive failure, all with plenty of roading, both with headers on and towing headers. Had some codes but never a failure. Couple guys that had been on during 2013 thought the 2014 ProDrive was a bit weaker and wouldn't get through the mud as well but I can't say anything about that. They had some lock up due to lines blowing during 2013 but nothing last year. Good way to get a guy to wear his seat belt while roading though

Side note: we got to go tour Harvester Works at the end of the season and the new Quality Control guy seems really sharp. Obviously hard to tell from a small presentation and Q&A session but he seemed to be a no BS kind of guy to me compared to the customer service guy haha. They've got some pretty neat things that they're implementing for 2015 like smart stations that won't let the person assembling pass the item off to the next station unless everything is done right (such as all 24 bolts are tightened to the right spec, etc) and a test track where they simulate use and filter the fluids, etc. Wish I could go on harvest again this year but obligations at home have other ideas...

Enough with that though, hope you guys get your ProDrive issues figured out!
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy brown View Post
Hi all

We currently have 3 S680's which are 1 season old and 2 of these combines are on their third pro drive gear box each. The gearbox seem to seize and the wheels lock.

When the pro drive gear boxes were inspected bolts appear to have worked loose and gone between the gears locking everything up.

This has been the case on each occasion and john deere don't appear to have a solution at this stage so we are told.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I can post pictures tomorrow to better explain the situation if that helps
The reason those bolts came loose is the vibration worked loose. it has happened in several cases. just took one apart to day same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page