The best STS Model. the 9770 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
You do realize that he needs to make you want to invest a bunch of money in your machine in order to feed his kids right? But yes at one time the 8820 was irreplaceable, then the 9600. Not sure if anything since has hit legend status. 9760 is similar to yours without the beeping in the cab.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post

9770? I didn't know there was any left, I thought they all burned up. I don't know why they all burn or what made it different from a 50 or 60 series, I don't want you to get hard feelings about your machine, I would check around a bit and see if you can find what caused this problem so you can prevent it. If I knew I would likely buy one as the few left seem to be selling for around or slightly less than a 100k
Really? They all burned up? And now sell for less than 100k? Really?

ogeeez and CForest like this.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I had a 9600, now have had a 9760 for quite a few years, the 9600 was ok, but I dont want it back. The 9760 has been a very reliable machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyheps View Post
Really? They all burned up? And now sell for less than 100k? Really?
All was a figure of speach, but honesty there was a lot of them here, now I think there is one left in my area, I know of 7 that went up in flames. The one that is still around started on fire last fall but was caught in time, just in the nick of time as a hole was burned in the fuel tank.

Two plus the one that survived were cutting sunnies so they can be disregarded but five went up cutting wheat.

Someone must have an idea where they light up, haven't been around them enough to know, the 50 and 60 series in the area never had any issues, one 9650 burned right on the road 5 miles after leaving a sunny field but other than that nothin but I don't care what machine cuts flowers the probability of burning is very high.

Yes I have seen some for under a 100k, in fact a friend of mine bought one last fall on the opposite side of the state with under 2000 sep hrs for 72g, he ended up putting about 20 into it but should be a good machine for a long time now.

No one else seen a 9770 on fire? Can't imagine they just burn here.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post

Yes I have seen some for under a 100k, in fact a friend of mine bought one last fall on the opposite side of the state with under 2000 sep hrs for 72g, he ended up putting about 20 into it but should be a good machine for a long time now.

No one else seen a 9770 on fire? Can't imagine they just burn here.
The only ones that come up for sale around here seem to be at retirement auctions. The last ones I saw had 4-600 sep hours and went for 200+ CAD

There are a LOT of 70 series in south sask and other than "stories" I know of none personally to have burned down. Im sure theres been a couple somewhere tho. Most guys are pretty handy with leaf blowers around here…. I know we are.
Jegfarms103 likes this.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
70 series is the current high point of Deere combines. Easiest to work on by far, even better than the 9600.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
6600 Deeres used to be burners. A proper muffler with no back pressure solved the problem. The original would heat manifold red hot. It looks like the furnace on the end of the muffler pipe is causing fires on the new ones. Too many computers to fix with a low backpressure muffler.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would say as far as the mechanicing on the machines, I like the 9770 the best. Has all the heavier, updated version of parts that were improved from the 50s and 60s. Is easy to maneuver around. Has a lot better electronics than the previous models. Don't know why but the diagnostic flow charts for hydraulics and electrics are easier to follow. Almost like Deere spent a little more time on this model than the last two.

It has been discussed and discussed that the 9000 and 9010 series were extremely reliable. It's a different age with different quality and workmanship. Can we really compare?

As for fires!!! 70 series burn down. It's what they do. There's been law suits about this. Do some research about it. It doesn't happen to all, and mostly in sunflowers and soybeans. But I've seen several in corn and wheat too.

All I know is I still work on a few 8820s. I'm scared what these electronics will be like at 20+ years old. I'm afraid Deere will just stop the support for any updates and payload downloads.

JD Master Certified Tech
Proud owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
My local Deere shop service manager who I trust personally says they have seen the average work order on the Rotary combines get cut in half from the 9600's. The company has had to make huge adjustments for this. I can certainly see it in the shop labour rate .

We run both and we don't spend anything on the newer combines but they are not 20 years old either!
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Farmer View Post
My local Deere shop service manager who I trust personally says they have seen the average work order on the Rotary combines get cut in half from the 9600's. The company has had to make huge adjustments for this. I can certainly see it in the shop labour rate .

We run both and we don't spend anything on the newer combines but they are not 20 years old either!
My average bill to customers for their 9600's are on average from $2500-$4500. My sts customers are from $3500-$6500. And that's per year that I have been working on them. Parts are outrageous for the newer stuff that I can't get aftermarket. And that's the difference, I can get more aftermarket product for the older stuff.

Not saying his shop is in comparison, because they wouldn't use aftermarket. So his numbers are probably different.

JD Master Certified Tech
Proud owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page