JD 12.5lt mess - Page 11 - The Combine Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Echeverria View Post
Hi all! I'm a farmer from Uruguay S.A. I have an big problem with w pump. Of my 9860 combine. Bearing destroy the distribution of the engine. Any have idea to buy all kit?

Dealers and Deere should be ashamed of themselves for not following up all these early waterpumps and rectifying. The damage they have done to their reputation is immense, so stupid. I will never be buying another high power Deere engine after the trouble I had with mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Have the pump bearings been redesigned so that it isn't an ongoing problem?

post #103 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
When I had bought a JD 9430 used, the local dealer suggested I replace the water pump to be proactive. Its the 13.5 liter engine so I don't know if the very same pump fits the 12.5 but I believe the failing theme is similar in that it can allow the balls to fall out of the bearing into the engine. The updated reman pump I bought has a different drive gear on it with a machined surface on the backside that makes a close fit to the face of the bearing or that is what I was interpreting when comparing them both side by side. Will that solve all problems, I don't know but it is the update they came out with. They suggest replacing the pump on a regular basis, some suggested 3000 hours and some said do it even sooner. Its not a cheap unit but if it saves that mess in the photos, I guess its worth it in the end.

I don't know if the bearing is different or not, I was not able to find out from anyone at the local dealer as to what was all different about the new/reman pump. And again this was for my 13.5 liter engine so one would have to dig into it to find out if there is an update on the 12.5 pump as well.

Last edited by Northern Farmer; 06-11-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
An engine can fail in any machine. It is common for a dealer to say "oh never heard of that happening before". It is kind of a brand loyalty problem, "that isn't a problem with our stuff" attitude. Truth is every manufacturer has its gremlins. Just not quite as catastrophic as this usually. Dodge eco diesel has the odd motor grenade at 140,000 km from a gear that slips that drives the oil pump/camshaft on passenger side head. I was on a forum and found a place in the states that bullet proofs this problem for $2500 and a one night stay across the street in a motel. So I figure if I can buy one cheap enough a trip to the states is in order. I am at a local dealership looking at a used eco diesel one day and I tell the salesman of this issue and he said he never heard of it before. 3 weeks later I stop in and he says he has an eco diesel real cheap. Turns out a customer had a grenaded eco diesel. Now the salesman believes me. I know of 3 deere combines that had engine failure here over the past 3-4 yrs. One guy had his last hopper of grain heading to the grain truck to finish the yr off and wham lol.
post #105 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Problems can and do happen. It is what companies do when the problems start. With all the information available today a guy would hope these problems become fewer and fewer. I never take a sales guys word about equipment I go back to the shop and talk to the techs and see what they have seen already
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscocky View Post
Have the pump bearings been redesigned so that it isn't an ongoing problem?
The pump I put in my 9220 a couple of years ago did seem to have a tighter gap between the casting and the shaft behind the drive gear to contain the bearing pieces if a failure occurs. The original pump had a fairly large gap around that shaft. So I assume this is the redesigned pump.
post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
The pump I put in my 9220 a couple of years ago did seem to have a tighter gap between the casting and the shaft behind the drive gear to contain the bearing pieces if a failure occurs. The original pump had a fairly large gap around that shaft. So I assume this is the redesigned pump.
So when the bearing fails on the new style does coolant leak to give you a warning that pump is failing or does the shrapnel just keep getting ground up into smaller pieces. How do you know it is time to change the water pump now?
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
So when the bearing fails on the new style does coolant leak to give you a warning that pump is failing or does the shrapnel just keep getting ground up into smaller pieces. How do you know it is time to change the water pump now?

There is a drain hole where coolant will drip out of if the seal/bearings are failing. Only problem is where there is moisture in dusty conditions dust will mix with moisture and gradually block the hole. And that's the end of any early warning!
Transaxial likes this.
post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
The problem with even caging the bearings better, a catastrophic failure can still occur. This is a gear driven pump that wont stop for nothing. Unlike a belt driver one where the belt will slip and you will hear the squeal or the belt just grenades. Pieces are going to break, just which ones.
Transaxial likes this.
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
There is a drain hole where coolant will drip out of if the seal/bearings are failing. Only problem is where there is moisture in dusty conditions dust will mix with moisture and gradually block the hole. And that's the end of any early warning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiller View Post
The problem with even caging the bearings better, a catastrophic failure can still occur. This is a gear driven pump that wont stop for nothing. Unlike a belt driver one where the belt will slip and you will hear the squeal or the belt just grenades. Pieces are going to break, just which ones.
That is still a pretty questionable setup. Gear driven water pumps were supposed to be more reliable because gears are more positive and reliable than belts in the long term, life of an engine picture. Is this bearing the initial problem or is it coolant that starts to leak and bearing failure is the result? Bearings have a design life. A design engineer needs to select speed, load, operating conditions and there is a bearing that will run anywhere from a couple of thousand hours up to a possible hundreds of thousands of hours. The cost of a better bearing is only a few dollars vs a $75,000 engine and then the damages of the owner not getting the work done that was the reason for buying the equipment in the first place. Seems like a design flaw that has catastrophic results way too often.

Northern Farmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in