JD 12.5lt mess - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Owe have a 9870 and 9630 in right now getting water pumps. Recommend every 1500 hours here. It's a 1346$ deal for parts and labor. Not bad insurance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
While non of this is real helpful to JPS's original question. I would have to agree with you about John Deere and all there bs serial numbers Mumbo jumbo. Just like a 404 out of a 105 will bolt right into a 4020. I'm sure no different on the 00 and 20 series combines as well. I'm sure the serial numbers are different but the only real difference is combine oil filter is located externally instead of internally, and swapping out the manifolds and oil pan. Wouldn't think it would be any different today. Although all the electronics they have now may be an issue. If you can't get any answers on here and you have half way decent memory. Go to a salvage yard and look over a 12.5 from a tractor to see whether all the bore holes are in the casting that would match up to your combine mounts. Then I would think it would be just matter of changing out turbo, manifolds, oil pan etc if needed. But then like I said before wiring/electronics could be the deal breaker on on today's machines. Imo John Deere and every other manufacturer grabbed every farmer by the balls when they eliminated solid connections to drive components and replaced them with electronic componants. Nice and easy to operate I'm sure, but a PITA when it doesen't.

Transaxial likes this.
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
On JD parts page the short block assembly (part number RE524829) and head (part number RE518554) cross over to numerous other models, including 9X00 and 9X20 series tractors. Some components may be different but as you said you have all the bits from the combine, the basics will all be the same. There is a serial number break on the short block that subs it up to the same part number as after the serial number break (RE528462). I don't see why it couldn't be done, what does it matter if the serial numbers don't match? Check it out for yourself at jdpc.deere.com.
Transaxial likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Is this just 12.5l engines that you change the water pumps on, or are the 13.5 (say a 9330) also vulnerable?
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainline View Post
Ya I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this already. It's a common problem I've seen a few engine rebuilt because of this issue. I've replaced lots of pumps on tractors none on combines yet. New water pumps have a cage on them to keep the balls from the bearings falling into the timing gears.
So the replacement pump has the safety cage?
post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Is this motor based on Detroit? And to get around patent and royalties the water pump was moved?
post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 AM
HI!

Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 712alberta View Post
You could really cheese off your Deer dealer and do something like swap in a C-13 cat.
From the frying pan to the fire eh 712?!
post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_D View Post
8450 shows belt driven.
Hello Andrew_D
Nope. Belt driven fan, but gear driven water pump. I went through the same thing as the OP with my JD 8450, a catastrophic water pump bearing failure. I tried doing the opposite, getting a replacement motor out of a combine to put in the tractor. That was not an option, as the blocks are a different casting.

Thank You
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCatSHF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
The new water pump looks the same but there is cage to keep the cap from falling into the engine. I've never taken a new pump apart to find out what's inside for sure. The next time I change a updated pump I'll take it apart and find out what's inside for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page