9600 straw walker question for Greentech - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
9600 straw walker question for Greentech

Subject has been discussed before but still not sure which way to go. Machine is 1994 9600 with 1962 Sep hours and cuts about 1300 acres of wheat a year. Replaced all the straw walker bearings a couple of years ago after reading all the horror stories. Greased them once a day and never had any trouble till the center straw walker front attachment broke. Still growing back skin from crawling into side access panel( 6'2"-220lbs). Currently have chaffer/sieve/precleaner shoes + pan under the walkers off checking for cracks etc so have good access to the walkers. Any thing I can check or do to try and insure no repeat? Should I just consider changing them all? TIA Lawndart (pic in attach)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1040.jpg (1.05 MB, 67 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 PM
cnd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Are you sure the walkers are "timed" correctly. Remove the drive belt to the walker gearcase, go to the back of the machine and push up on one the walkers that is at bottom dead center, the walkers should rotate freely with ease. If not you need to find which one is tight.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
when i did combine inspections i would crawl on top of the walkers from end to end, looking for cracks or warps to the sides of the walkers. on the 9000 series they should have a white plastic wear strip in between the walkers as well.

then i went to the bearings lifting and rocking the walker to see how much slop in the bearings there was.

if everything looks nice, feels nice there is a good chance that it is nice. with steel parts being shook like that you cant prevent all breaks. vibration kills steel. just keep a regular eye on them parts and you might be able to catch something before its a break down in the middle of the field.

the 9000 series were not known for being hard on walkers in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Walkers are timed properly. Bearings dont seem to fit real tight on the cranks although wouldnt think that the crankshafts would be wore with less than 2000 hrs on them would they?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
Walkers are timed properly. Bearings dont seem to fit real tight on the cranks although wouldnt think that the crankshafts would be wore with less than 2000 hrs on them would they?
Depends how well they've been greased. If the bearings/cranks have too much wear then the lateral wear strips won't last long as the walkers will have more side to side movement. As stated, if timing is good then just monitor for cracks regularly. I know machines that have run 100 hrs with known walker cracks so you should have time to catch a problem.

My method of checking timing is to remove walker drive belt and turn pulley by hand. Should rotate evenly and smoothly with no tight spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page