The Combine Forum banner

John 'Dear' parts

9K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  CTS2 
#1 ·
Various parts for a CTS2, in AUD:

Feederhouse floor sheet - AH159703 - $2,013.31
Steering attenuator - AR75693 - $654.61 (whatever it is)
Steering orbital - AH142441 - $2,623.75 (seal kit $118.44)
Tyne module universal shaft - AH136599 - $1,408.80 (uni crosses not listed separate)
Tyne module splined drive hub - AH144617 - $755.71

Does anybody actually buy things like this?

I was pretty annoyed at having to pay $900 for an unloading auger belt engage cylinder a couple of years ago, but there is no way I will come at $2000 for a feederhouse floor.

Anybody have any other examples of outrageous pricing?

Anybody in the USA care to quote prices of the exact same parts as a comparison?

#3 · (Edited)
That's the price of running older equipment. I do what I can to avoid outrageous parts pricing through Google, used parts, aftermarket and self manufacturing. I find service literature to be very valuable, things like your steering attenuator may not be the actual problem or be serviceable.

You have to remember the price difference between what you're running and new, you can put allot of parts into it for even a fraction of that. It's all part of the whole equation.

An important note, I almost always price new as it gives me a baseline to compare to (also sometimes new is surprisingly reasonable).

#4 ·
For the feeder house floor, we replaced one and on the other combine, we took it to a welding shop and they welded a thin metal plate the length of it. **** of a lot cheaper then 2k

#7 ·
Some one at Deere has a sense of humor. I'm not sure who enters the prices into the computer system pertaining to parts, but sometimes you have to wonder. Bubble up auger in the hopper of the 8820 T2, the gearbox that drives the auger, AH129277 is just a few pennies shy of $2500. !!! So I price out the parts I need for it and end up pricing the two halves of the housing also. Whole gearbox, but in individual parts,....$897.22............. Everything except the 3 bolts that hold it together.

#8 ·
That is what happens when you run newer equipment with higher hours like 1400. The money is all put into electronic gadgetry in them and machine longevity is sacrificed. Smart move on their part because they got you if you are in need of parts, or a new machine. Today's big combines handle 3-4 times the material that say an 8820 did years ago, so seeing a combine in use at 5000 hrs is extinct. Metal is expensive and trying to keep the weight down of these bigger machines comes at a cost to you the farmer. Feeder house floors and cones etc you read on the forums here, are normal wear components these days. If a 860 MF in the 80's or an 8820 wore a feeder floor out in 2 seasons in the 80's there wouldn't have been a million of them sold. Back then there were many more farms so many more opportunity to sell combines. 1984 a 860 MF could be bought at a local dealership for $52,000 brand new loaded with everything available in the day. Canola was the same price as today roughly and fuel was at a fraction of todays cost lol. Land could be bought here for next to nothing back then compared to today. Everybody just needed enough land to keep themselves busy with one or 2 combines of the era.

#22 ·
CIH bearing price two weeks ago: $63. CIH bearing price today for the same bearing in the same box on the same shelf in the same dealership: $108. Screw the stock market, I should be investing in equipment parts.

With the price of used CNC machines making my own parts is starting to look pretty good.

#26 ·
Or you could have the output shaft on a TX66 bubble up auger gearbox that I bought 3 years ago as a spare. Was ~$250 then but is $535 now. Putting it together the other day and thought the welds for the fingers that drive the auger looked a little light. Not only that but all four were cracked. Had to grind and put another bead on. Wonder if the $535 one is better? Not taking any chances, I'll make my own.

Attachments

#27 ·
Not as expensive but still ridiculously over priced...

RE65265 Bosch hand primer pump, one of those you see on the inline Bosch pumps, been used for the last 40 years or more, my cost at my Deere dealer was $55.44CAN plus $1.81 for the brass sealing washer.

Seemed a bit high to me, did some checking that evening online and what do you know, had four of the exact same pumps including the washers shipped to me from a diesel shop in Michigan USA for $82CAN total, that was just over $16 each plus $15 for shipping or $20.50CAN each.

Not often I return parts, but this was one time I made an exception and I took my little package and reciept along to show them. Like I explained to dealer, I got no prob them making a few bucks but to be well over 200% markup over other's retail store price is just simply wrong and I blame corporate Deere for that. I'm finding much the same with many other parts especially for the older equipment, things like headgaskets, bearings and more, way cheaper to source from the OEM supplier than to buy from Deere. Industrial Deere thru Brandt, now wow, thats a whole new game of screw and gouge:eek:
Finding I need to source elsewhere whatever I can of the proprietary parts for my wheel loader my local ag dealer can't order or sell, as those industrial guys are completely nuts!

These are the primer pumps I bought,
OEM Bosch Diesel Hand Primer - Replaces screw-down type. Fits MANY applications! | eBay

#28 ·
That's interesting, just bought one when I started swathing buckwheat, got it from my Deere dealer for 16$! I was actually surprised as I was thinking 40$

Didn't they at least hand you vasaline before they bent you over the counter? I wouldn't have when I returned it, that's for sure....

#33 ·
on CTS the charge pressure sensor was leaking.
Sensor 95.00 witch is a change up part that requires a wiring adapter at 45.00
A&I had the sensor for 40.00 but I had to give Deere 45.00 for 4" of wire with a 2 wire flat plug on one end and a square 2 wire plug at the other end

#35 ·
Most likely you will only find that on the end of the harness in the parts book--until you look at "electrical service parts" or something like that. TIP: don't get that plug from JD. Depending on which combine you have, you can get the plug at electrical/automotive suppliers. They are pretty standard plugs (except for the single point one).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.