All-new John Deere combines coming May 31st - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
Improving on others products is the foundation of John Deere.
When they bought Waterloo Boy they improved on the Model N and it became the John Deere D the longest produced tractor in history.
In 1959 John Deere hired Don Macmillan who worked for Ford on there power shift transmission. He was instrumental in the development of the John Deere 8 Speed power shift first used in the 3020 and 4020 and still a Bullet proof transmission today.
The closed center Hydraulics used on the 20 series tractor was copied from aircraft hydraulic systems.
The reason our farm is green is that other than the drill and cart everything else is worth more today than we paid for it!!
Wow there's a lot of misinformation here!
A Waterloo Boy is about as close mechanically to a D as a D is to a 730.
Don Macmillan was a farmer, dealer and author from England. Harold Brock is the guy who worked for Ford and later Deere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I bet it's just the Class 10 (perhaps an enhanced class 9 as well) being introduced. Either that or its the best kept secret Deere has ever pulled off! Deere notoriously does not suppress new product information very well. I asked my dealer but got nothing!

post #43 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoColourPreference View Post
I remember well when Deere introduced the 20 series combines, under a great deal of criticism then, for NOT going rotary. Deere's official position then was that they felt a rotary combines true capabilities/benefits couldn't be capitalized on until combines moved into the higher horsepower range; - at that time, in the 400 horsepower range,which many of us (myself included) scoffed at as "never happening"! Fast-forward 40 years and it appears they were correct. I'm not doubting that some of the Deere sales folk had slanderous things to say about rotaries then but Deere, as a company, didn't at the time.
I always figured it was a patent thing. Case and New Holland held most of the patents on the rotary design. Pride prevented Deere from licensing them. Once those expired, then Deere brought out their rotaries.

But yes I'm sure horsepower was a factor. I remember the JD advertizing back in the day talking about how their conventionals could keep going long after the rotaries went to bed. Now of course with lots of horsepower and fuel to burn, rotaries run until the grain is toughed out.

Last edited by torriem; 05-17-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Anyone wondering about a driverless option?

God Bless America
post #45 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Anyone wondering about a driverless option?
So we can sit under a tree drinking piss?
post #46 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheely View Post
So we can sit under a tree drinking piss?
OR waiting till the end of harvest to check for losses?

I just heard a story and I cannot confirm the severity but I guess a guy here had a problem with his planters variable rate running for a few feet and stopping for a few feet, he noticed this 2 days ago after starting corn after he planted 2000 acres of canola.... by the way, the canola is up and this problem started on day 1

And it seems just a little odd that you wouldn't catch that on the monitor or not visibly see the VR motor and chain turning! Or maybe checked depth and couldn't find seed?

Some things boggle my mind.... and when the autonomous combine arrives I am pretty sure some could harvest a entire crop without noticing the sieve position was off and 20% of the crop was on the ground. I really think it could happen but I guess it probably is happening now.

God Bless America
post #47 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
OR waiting till the end of harvest to check for losses?

I just heard a story and I cannot confirm the severity but I guess a guy here had a problem with his planters variable rate running for a few feet and stopping for a few feet, he noticed this 2 days ago after starting corn after he planted 2000 acres of canola.... by the way, the canola is up and this problem started on day 1

And it seems just a little odd that you wouldn't catch that on the monitor or not visibly see the VR motor and chain turning! Or maybe checked depth and couldn't find seed?

Some things boggle my mind.... and when the autonomous combine arrives I am pretty sure some could harvest a entire crop without noticing the sieve position was off and 20% of the crop was on the ground. I really think it could happen but I guess it probably is happening now.
Doubt it, my monitor will scream murder if that happens and a guy would see his chain by the vrd motor turning.
I made misstakes before but think that one is a bit excessive for even your monitor not to catch, but hey ive seen some weird stuff
post #48 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmillfarms View Post
Doubt it, my monitor will scream murder if that happens and a guy would see his chain by the vrd motor turning.
I made misstakes before but think that one is a bit excessive for even your monitor not to catch, but hey ive seen some weird stuff
I know right?
Rep even came down to smooth things out, in fact he stopped at my shop but I missed him.
I sure hope it's not as bad as it sounds

Few guys started planting canola here this year and it is bringing out the best of them

God Bless America

Last edited by SWFarmService; 05-17-2017 at 10:20 PM.
post #49 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:04 AM
X80

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Is it just me or is the new release a bit queit? Or is may 31st the start of the release...with a bunch of videos like the s series release?...where they promised some new additional threshing..exciting technology...they cut 10% of the drum and concave off a 55 sqaure back and strapped it to the top of the tailings...is all the action on twitter...or they having a face slap release?....

Ant...
post #50 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it is a true Class X machine, it will be interesting to see what kind of head they put on it to feed that big of machine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page