The Combine Forum banner

All-new John Deere combines coming May 31st

135K views 256 replies 87 participants last post by  aussiefarmer9 
#1 ·
From Martin Deerlines facebook...
It's coming, new models replacing the S-series, including a Class-10.
Can't wait to see the final product after the multiple prototypes that were spied. May 31st!

Attachments

See less See more
#88 ·
Yeah that picture is definitely a ray-traced rendering. The guy in the cab looks rather Toy Story-ish. Very good rendering overall though.

The pic on the Cross implements page looks nothing like that instagram picture. Since they supposedly will reveal all tomorrow I'll post a direct link to Cross's picture (which is still available even if the page was taken down):

#90 ·
If the instagram pic is a photoshop...they done alot of detail?

There is clean grain and tailings elevator in the right spot...shaker arms in shoe...air ducts for sieve?...hydraulic hoses on reel lift and reel drive...wheel studs in rear wheels cad plated colour...

Someone got some inspiration from somewhere! Are they going to run two line ups? Build class 10 etc in Germany and povo pack built in usa?

Ant...

#98 · (Edited)
I think the idea is flawed, as it just doesn't seem to work in any incarnation. Definitely on Case machines the rethresher does absolutely nothing in small grains. The Deere design has little concaves and rub bars but I've heard very mixed things about it.

The biggest problem with the rethresher is that tailings just end up circulating between the sieves and the re-thresher unit until they either end up in the grain tank or go over the back. Despite what you say about not getting it the first time, that's really your only option with a re-thresher.

The thing about the return elevator and putting tailings back into the rotor and cylinder is that we really don't know if that works either, if we're to be honest. We assume it does but we really don't know. Maybe it just hides the threshing problems. Maybe all those partially-threshed heads end up going over as rotor loss. It's very hard to determine.

One thing's for sure, the tailings elevator made settings seem more forgiving. With the re-thresher you have to get it set right in the rotor in the first place.

One solution might be to have a two-stage threshing system. Since everyone seems to think grain-on-grain threshing works the best, maybe we need to take all the material that falls through the concaves and put it all through a smaller re-threshing unit to grind up partially-threshed heads and then dump that on the sieves.

#99 ·
Maybe all those partially-threshed heads end up going over as rotor loss. It's very hard to determine.
Not really, all you have to do is some pan tests and measure grain loss.

I do agree that having a re-thresher is not wrong, provided it actually does some threshing and doesn't cause issues. Returning the tailings to the rotor or cylinder is the best because that system is already in place(Claas). Failing that a system that has adjustability and returns product to grain pan can work good too(New Holland). I'm not up on what Deere has except for the endless complaining in regards to it.:frown:

In wheat there will always be some seeds that never come out of the head and I prefer to have them end up in the grain tank as opposed to out the back. While it may not look as good they don't add up to a big % typically. Grain elevators have re-threshers built into their cleaners too and those seeds often get re-claimed there...

So I expect a full report from the JD combine guys on this new twin-rotor electric powered combine that weighs almost half of a S680 and has suspension and a 525 bushel grain tank. Since I'm not on facebook...:wink:

This post has been deleted
#108 ·
So I read through the release. My basic take on it:

They have made the combine smarter so it calibrates itself 7 different ways so the data that they collect free of charge through JD-Link is more accurate. Change a few things in the cab to distract the farmer too maybe. Oh yeah, surely a modest price increase in there too.

It seems to me the priorities are way wrong here. What about this actually makes the farmer more money? Must be a lot of money in all this data or some large plan for using it down the road, because some of these companies are going to great lengths to collect it. I seriously doubt whatever that turns into will be for the benefit of the farmer either...

#112 ·
I wonder if all the reporting back to Ma Deere has something to do with the recent desire to buy seed companies. Can't have us evil producers growing food without big brother getting paid. I'm sure Deere has enormous plans to dominate the precision Ag business, you can't do that without data on all of us.

I love tinfoil, it makes especially wonderful hats.

#120 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm not familiar with gleaners at all, just judging by the animation, thought those rollers might do some secondary threshing depending on how fast they turn, how tight it is. Good to learn something.

In my defense, if you're familiar with Case's tailings system, I bet those accelerator rollers in the gleaner do more threshing!

#121 ·
I bet those accelerator rollers in the gleaner do more threshing!
The accelerator rollers don't do any more threshing then any other component of the combine besides the concaves and rotor. The lugs of the rollers are made of either rubber or polyurethane and are designed to be gentle on the grain. A Gleaner does have a tailings elevator that returns material to the inlet of the rotor cage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.