Running drive tyres backwards. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
X 3, although my last set of drive tyres had to be replaced for sidewall cracks long before stubble wear would have warranted rotating them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
changed both combines a couple of years ago all it did was move the rubber closer to the machine because of the dish of the rims.was a stupid make work project but did check the axle tightness when I had the wheels off. when we did get stuck there was no way in h### we were backing out.the side walls will rot out long before the face wears out,run what ya brung.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herschel View Post
changed both combines a couple of years ago all it did was move the rubber closer to the machine because of the dish of the rims.was a stupid make work project but did check the axle tightness when I had the wheels off. when we did get stuck there was no way in h### we were backing out.the side walls will rot out long before the face wears out,run what ya brung.
I know someone is going to point this out so I may as well, what you should have done was move the left tire to the right side and the right over to the left, that way it reverses the tread pattern but keeps the dish offset the same if that is the way you would want to keep it for combine track width and stability.
lynas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
it was was a waiste of time doing one side a time let alone jacking up both sides and rolling tires back and forth.as you probably guessed by now I'm too old to think these great ideas of labour intensive work are fun.
Northern Farmer likes this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
This thread brought this question to mind.
Why are non powered steering tires mounted "backward" on combines and road graders?
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
This thread brought this question to mind.
Why are non powered steering tires mounted "backward" on combines and road graders?
I believe the theory behind that ( and for grain carts etc etc ) is to help self clean the tire because a non powered tire is basically being dragged along and if on muddy ground and run the traditional direction its more apt to pack up with mud as it looses some traction and starts skidding, the tire is now acting more like a sand paddle tire and holding/cupping the ground material into its tread if it had been mounted as a drive tire direction wise.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheely View Post
Was told that tyres are run the conventional way to break up hard ground so the tyres can bite in and repack for grip.
So would running them backwards on a sprayer create less dust if they don't break up a hard surface as much??. I'have considered running tires backwards. The thinking goes, if traction is better with the tread pointing in the direction of travel, when you hit a soft spot, you will not go as far before getting stuck and you will have better traction backing out.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 PM

That poses a good question too LTK, I have a feeling that it would still throw the dirt up as now its cupping the dirt like a sand tire and probably beat either way with bar grip tires. Probably the best would be some wimpy diamond tread or an almost bald bar tread ... certainly no good for mud but I look at how lets say a fine tread quad tire doesn't tend to kick up near the dust as a more aggressive aftermarket bar grip tire.

Here's an interesting concept that could be interesting to experiment with although the question is where would the water come from to accomplish it. Using four sprayer nozzles with fresh water to constantly spray onto each of the four tires during really dry conditions, I wonder how much less dust would be produced by a wet tire ?
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Northern if you spray water on the tires they would become mud balls.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM

It would all depend on how much water was used, damp with some dirt sticking vs yes a mud ball if too much was used, if it would help cut dust ... I don't know. Maybe its just my perception but have felt if there were still a few droplets of water on plants and its making the tire damp I thought it seemed to help with dust control a bit. Could a fog type spray behind each tire cause kicked up dirt particles to stick to the moisture.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page