John Deere service not as good as it used to be - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
John Deere service not as good as it used to be

Anyone else finding that service from John Deere is not near as good as it used to be?
Going through some notes on my desk and came across an incident we had with John Deere just over four years ago.
We had a head gasket go on a 9660 with less then 2000 hours on the engine because the sleeve did not have the proper specs above the engine block.
Years ago we had a 4840 that had 5000 hours on it ,the engine cavitated and John Deere covered complete cost for the repair. I asked John Deere if they would cover the cost on the combine engine with less than 2000 hours on it as we had a 4440 with 20,000+ hours and also a 4850 with right around the same hours .
One winter we were driving near the John Deere combine factory and we stopped in for a Tour and while we were waiting for the tour to start a fellow came to chat with us, if I remember right he was with customer service, so I mentioned the head gasket problem to him.
And as usual the top-notch pass the buck and I was referred to customer support for Western Canada.
This is what he said to me ( New engines dont have longevity like the old ones ). I was really surprised that he would admit that and I asked him to send me an email with regards to that .Never did send me an email and I never heard from him again. End of story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
I have a feeling that a free engine job on a 5000 hour 4840 is the exception not the rule.

A 9660 4 years ago would have been at minimum 8 years old or could have been 12 years old.

If not getting a free motor on a 2000 hour 8 to 12 year old machine = poor customer service then I think you'd be mighty, mighty disappointed with all manufacturers. That being said if you know of a MFG that will warranty 10 year old machines let me know and we will switch the farm to them.

As far as a guy saying "new engines don't have the longevity of the old ones" that's just he said, she said crap. Maybe someone actually said that but that doesn't make it a fact, people can say anything they want.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Barn
That's a pretty big stretch calling poor service, more like poor quality control and that's not exclusive to JD nor is it common place to any manufacturer.

My biggest issue with JD, and it's not entirely their fault though they are allowing it, is the mass consolidation of dealerships and specifically the Van Wall group here in Iowa. They have a major monopoly and exceptionally poor parts availability. The owners theory is we will overnight parts, the farmer can wait a day or two.

I get the fact that they can't stock everything, but they literally have next to nothing.
bauerr, s6704940 and jcalder like this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
That's a pretty big stretch calling poor service, more like poor quality control and that's not exclusive to JD nor is it common place to any manufacturer.

My biggest issue with JD, and it's not entirely their fault though they are allowing it, is the mass consolidation of dealerships and specifically the Van Wall group here in Iowa. They have a major monopoly and exceptionally poor parts availability. The owners theory is we will overnight parts, the farmer can wait a day or two.

I get the fact that they can't stock everything, but they literally have next to nothing.
X2. Not Van Wall specifically,but the mass consolidation.
Same problem different name. C&B operations
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
All the dealers are forced to buy each other out. In western Canada I bet there is no more than 2 within 10 years. We already can’t buy new Deere equipment from anyone but our local chain anyway.
meritmat and Grainline like this.

Brent.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Honestly I'm pretty happy with their service and how they stand behind things. My last combine was a complete lemon. If it could go wrong it did go wrong and I just could not keep that thing together. They stood behind it the whole way, gave me a loaner to use when it was down and always got the thing completely fixed up even after it was off warranty. Had it not been for their service there is no way I would have bought another Deere when it was time to trade, but I did stick with them and this machine has been a rock. Their tractor and sprayer service is excellent too.

Now, their prices are a whole other issue...
Licensed to kill likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
We are lucky to have a good dealer. I think a good shop manager and dealer owner goes a long way. We have gotten out of warranty help on equipment problems before with the dealer eating some mother Deere eating some and us having a share. The salesmen don’t like to here it but we always say it’s the service department that sells us green paint
bjtjjl, s6704940 and jcalder like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post

If they are like here. They have lots of fancy bbqs,wood chips and spices.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
The biggest crime in all of this dealership consolidation is the concept that any given part only needs to be in stock at ONE location and either you can wait a day and a half or drive 3 hours and get it yourself.... I agree that there never seems to be the right part in stock, but in all honestly aside from some air drill parts that seem like common replace items (like a shank!) that one would think should be kept in stock, we have been able to get most of our green stuff up and running on under a day downtime...

Don't even try to get me started on part availability for the red and blue stuff. Trust me, after waiting 6 months for a part on a 15 yr old tractor and finally replacing it with one from scrapper, poor JD parts availability seems pretty good!!!!!!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Barn
That's the complete opposite here, their "parts hub" store is lacking too. Local CIH Titan usually has what I need for both CIH and NH. Absolute best is AGCO/McCormik, single store dealer that believes in ample parts for what they sell, its a extreme rarity to wait on any part I'd cobsider remotely common there.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page