John Deere 4555 blowing out oring - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
John Deere 4555 blowing out oring

Hi guys I have a mate asking about his 4555 John Deere , it keeps blowing a oring out of the hydronic block under the fuel tank.
Any one had this before sorry that’s all the info I have been given !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
The hyd pump ?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had same problem on my 4760. O rings on piston pump (under plugs) were blowing one at the time, very annoing and hard to get replaced unless pump itself is dismounted out of tractor. It is important to put plastic protection shim/washer (it is round flat piece of thin plastic foil with round hole) to protect o ring from failing (again), and apply proper torque on plugs when putting it all together. O rings and shims bought original. Just before dismounting pump - be sure that pump is leaking, because steering is very close, and it can leak too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Just rebuilt the pump on our 4760 for this reason. Dealer said when they start going one after another it’s time
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
Just rebuilt the pump on our 4760 for this reason. Dealer said when they start going one after another itís time
You did rebuild whole pump only because of orings failing, or whole pump became 'weak'? How much hours is on the pump/tractor? In my understanding orings are failing probably because of age and vibrations. It is easy to replace them, but hard part is to get whole pump out and to get it back in place (without any leaks). I did not want to disconnect steering and I did it with MFWD (and radiators) in place.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 PM

We decided to go through the whole pump after replacing 1 of the o rings only to have another start leaking 50 hours later. We had some down time and figured the next one would be worse. Tractor gets 12-1500 hours per year and we didn’t know when it was done last
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
We decided to go through the whole pump after replacing 1 of the o rings only to have another start leaking 50 hours later. We had some down time and figured the next one would be worse. Tractor gets 12-1500 hours per year and we didnít know when it was done last
It is logical choice to total rebulid it if tractor is working that much through the year (and with unknown history), just to avoid suprise - mine is 7500 hours total (200-300 hours/year), so different situation. Would be interesting to know how long approx. these pumps last, gear hydraulic pumps are in approximate range of 7000-13 000 hours (and most not repairable), these are diffrent kind of beasts and most of the time they are not working to full potential. What was cost of total rebuild? Is there any sort of kit for rebuilding or just you can order reman from the dealer?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 PM

Not sure on the cost. Haven’t seen the bill yet. Our dealer rebuilds them in house as it’s mostly o rings and such. I know you can get reman pumps from aftermarket sources here in the states and I’m sure Deere offers them also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page