Difficult Wheat - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all the tips. So where to start! The conditions are tough. Very humid, grain is about 12% moisture. Warm 90 degrees. I do not have the variable stream rotor because I do harvest corn, beans, etc. I’m running those XPR concaves and have the first concave covered with cover plates. These things are awesome especially in tough threshing conditions. It’s why my rotor loss is none. There is very little straw coming off the shoe so I’m not breaking it up. I think I may need some of those separator covers to help the shoe load. The weird thing is I’ll open chaffer to 19 sieve to 15 and I’ll watch loss and tailing go down but it’s really dirty. So then I’ll speed up fan to 1250-1350 and I’ll watch loss and tailings go up again. Do I need to open more? I’m gonna get a good sieve measurement the next time I can so I can see if they match what the display says.

I have not removed front chaffer extension. Do I need it for corn? We only have 200-300 acres per year of irrigated corn that can go 220-290 typically and our Dryland is low yielding so 80-120. But we are bringing in 16 rows of 30 inch corn.

I would love to get an airfoil chaffer. Can it be used in the corn yields that I mentioned? Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Now that you mention you are running XPR concaves that is why you have no rotor loss,but WOW I bet those things are overloading the shoe to a point where it is hard to seperate.Yes the front chaffer extension is needed in coarse high yield crops like corn.I don't think they work well with very high chaff loads witch i would think the XPR's are giving you.

Last edited by s6704940; 07-11-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 PM
John Force - Legend

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Have you verified the sieve losses are actually there on the ground?

Is there small grain blowing out?

I haven’t actually read the other posts, maybe this has been covered already.
Transaxial likes this.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah you would think the chaff load would be high. But why am I not overloading it in my other varieties??? This is what I don’t understand. If I was fighting the machine all summer because of the concaves I would’ve pulled them and tried the small wires again.

I know it’s coming off the sieves because I’ll stop, get out, and look underneath where the sieve loss sensors are. And there is literally a pile of grain there if I go over 3 mph. Checked it going 2.8 mph and loss was very low.

We didn’t realize it at the time but we had the same problem last year with the same variety with a 2013 s680. We had the thick volunteer trail right where the combine went. But we thought that was due to the low test wight of 56 because it just had 3 inches of rain before harvest and was a drought stricken crop.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 AM
John Force - Legend

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Try a Stall stop to see what’s happening in there. Look for how even the loading is on the sieves. You may have to adjust the deflector plates on the conveyor augers and then use them clip on plates for the grates

Many years of running JD’s taught me that sometimes .5 - 1kmh speed difference can make a huge difference in losses when in less than ideal conditions. It’s just one of them mystery machinery things you have to live with.
Haystack and SW-Vic like this.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

Last edited by phantom970; 07-12-2019 at 02:25 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Will do. Appreciate all the replies.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
Try a Stall stop to see whatís happening in there. Look for how even the loading is on the sieves. You may have to adjust the deflector plates on the conveyor augers and then use them clip on plates for the grates

Many years of running JDís taught me that sometimes .5 - 1kmh speed difference can make a huge difference in losses when in less than ideal conditions. Itís just one of them mystery machinery things you have to live with.
This was my next thought also. If you have the front concave blanked and you are threshing very well then you have a lot of threshed wheat waiting to drop through the concave when it comes around the second time, possibly overloading the right side of the sieves. And if you are returning lots, this compounds the overload on the right side where the return dumps in. So check if your grain loss is just in a narrow streak off the sieves on the right side. I ran a filler plate under the return just to force the threshed grain to be spread by the sweep of the rotor more over the entire width of the sieves. I am talking red single rotor but getting the balance of that spread correct is pretty important on single rotor machines. I like what I see in the Sunnybrook box concaves in that you can throw in a more open box on the left side of the front concave (as opposed to a full blanking plate)or wherever you are under loading your sieve. Another mod we did on Case machines was to add in aftermarket concave adjuster brackets to be able to adjust the concave left or right to control where that load dropped onto the sieves better. IIRC IH or Case did not originally recommend a wider space on the right and tapering to a pinch point on the left side, which is what we modified to be able to achieve, more in line with conventional threshing logic.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
We didnít realize it at the time but we had the same problem last year with the same variety with a 2013 s680. We had the thick volunteer trail right where the combine went. But we thought that was due to the low test wight of 56 because it just had 3 inches of rain before harvest and was a drought stricken crop.[/QUOTE]

That thick trail might also have come from grain leaking out by the fan, this happens when the front of the shoe is severly overloaded.Some varieties you can thresh with round bar no problem and other not.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s6704940 View Post
We didnít realize it at the time but we had the same problem last year with the same variety with a 2013 s680. We had the thick volunteer trail right where the combine went. But we thought that was due to the low test wight of 56 because it just had 3 inches of rain before harvest and was a drought stricken crop.
That thick trail might also have come from grain leaking out by the fan, this happens when the front of the shoe is severly overloaded.Some varieties you can thresh with round bar no problem and other not.[/QUOTE]

Is the overload on the right side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page