Difficult Wheat - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Difficult Wheat

So we were harvesting 2 different varieties of wheat on and off the whole season with a s780 combine. We never had any problems in 80 bushel wheat with losses or tailings getting full and I had a premium sample. But we changed varietyís 3/4 through harvest to a wheat that only has 15 inches of straw and has really small heads but there are TONS of them. Just looking at it from the combine youíd think itís just 20 bushel wheat but then you glance at the yield monitor itís making 90 and you think ďhow?Ē But in this wheat I have high sieve losses if I go over 3mph. I canít raise the fan speed to clean it up because it fills my tailings and blows wheat out. I have to open the chaffer to reduce loss and open the sieve to keep tailings down. Resulting in a very dirty sample. You guys got any tips for this wheat? Like I said itís just this variety. In the other 2 I was doing really good.

Setting Ranges I would use. rotor-750-900, concave-8-12, chaffer-12-19,sieve-8-12,fan-950-1200.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Is there whitecaps and unthreshed heads in the return or just wheat? If you are not threshing all the material, try filler plates on the front concave or a concave with small enough holes that just a wheat kernel can fall through.

Border Farmer likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Tighter concave would be my guess if it’s not thrashing it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

No I’m getting it threshed. I’d say the concave and rotor is set perfect because the heads are still intact but there isn’t any grain in them and I have no rotor loss. When tighten the concave I break straw up and really overload the shoe. But there is free grain and chaff in the return. And somehow more fan makes it worse which completely the opposite of what happens in the other varieties. I think this variety just completely overloads the shoe with the head material because there is so many heads.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Try to open the sieve and Chaffer up and increase the wind. It will be a higher volume of air at lower speed and hopefully ride it out the back. Closing the chaffer and sieve will only reduce wind flow. If that works you could then try closing the sieve slightly to clean up the sample.
lanwickum and s6704940 like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I’ll give it a try. Thanks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
I think someone should build separator grate clip on covers that have elongated holes in them that would tend to let small seeds through but not thrashed heads or pods to reduce this problem.

It’s a separation problem, not a thrashing problem, not a cleaning problem. Claas solves this with their separator covers, Gleaner solves this with an air blast under their separation acceleration rollers combined with a short wide chaffer and sieve.

The good thing at least is, you aren’t hitting this wall until the bushes per hour limit is quite high.

Last edited by Haystack; 07-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last gen farmer View Post
Try to open the sieve and Chaffer up and increase the wind. It will be a higher volume of air at lower speed and hopefully ride it out the back. Closing the chaffer and sieve will only reduce wind flow. If that works you could then try closing the sieve slightly to clean up the sample.
Sounds like you have covered all the bases. I would agree with this post as it is about the only thing you have left. Unless you tried an airfoil top sieve?? Their strength is blowing the air more straight up which seems like it would lift more of your chaff and allow the wheat to fall through. It is hard for me to imagine not having a bottom sieve, but it would allow a lot more air to get to the top sieve, and at some point if you have enough air on the top sieve, all the material other than threshed grain should blow out. ?? Just saying. I know some IH rotaries in the past did not have enough space between the sieves at the front which severely restricted the necessary amount of air getting to the chaffer, which created matting of grain and chaff on the chaffer due to not enough lift, which let too much chaff sluff through to the bottom sieve, which then needed to be too closed to prevent a dirty sample, which further restricted airflow to the chaffer ... Seems like more air blowing more straight up is a goal??? If it is just one field maybe just go slower. It is the 10th of July!
Haystack likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
What are the conditions like,Temp,grain moisture,easy threshing? You said you don't have rotor loss and all the heads are threshed out,if this is a variable stream rotor have you tried setting the rotor vanes in the advanced position so that the straw spends even less time in the machine and gets less time to be super broken up and load up the chaffer? I would also as stated above open up sive and chaffer and increase wind.When we harvest heavy bushel weight wheat on irrigation i run my fan at 1350 with chaffer and sieve more open.If you are loading up the machine lots open with no unthreshed heads open up concave more. IF YOU HAVE NOT YET, REMOVE FRONT CHAFFER EXTENSION FOR SMALL GRAINS ON 80 AND 90 MACHINES!

Make sure your concave and shoe setting are calibrated and reading accurate values. Mabey this is a variety where it makes a bigger difference and is noticeable when these setting are not calibrated dead on.
white owl likes this.

Last edited by s6704940; 07-10-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: ADDITION
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s6704940 View Post
What are the conditions like,Temp,grain moisture,easy threshing? You said you don't have rotor loss and all the heads are threshed out,if this is a variable stream rotor have you tried setting the rotor vanes in the advanced position so that the straw spends even less time in the machine and gets less time to be super broken up and load up the chaffer? I would also as stated above open up sive and chaffer and increase wind.When we harvest heavy bushel weight wheat on irrigation i run my fan at 1350 with chaffer and sieve more open.If you are loading up the machine lots open with no unthreshed heads open up concave more. IF YOU HAVE NOT YET, REMOVE FRONT CHAFFER EXTENSION FOR SMALL GRAINS ON 80 AND 90 MACHINES!
everything s6704940 says , the only time I have this problem was with frozen light wheat that was popcorn dry. Did you try a round bar concave on back.It worked on short barley losses the grain before the straw is too mangled. A real fix is sunnybrook

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page