2013 s690 plugging/choking active tailings in rice. - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cnd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Chw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 s690 plugging/choking active tailings in rice.

Will the bottom sieve extension made by Precision Farm Parts help alleviate this issue?

Reduces the amount of return material
Matches the length of chaffer
Reduces overloading of the return
Non-adjustable, but dramatically reduces the amount of clean grain going back through the return

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have absolutely no experience with rice or the extension you’re talking about but I do know that these rethresher machines do like a lot more air then what you’re used to. Like I said no experience with rice so may not be possible but that has certainly helped us.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
No experience with JD or Precision Farm Parts. So what is causing all that clean grain to end up in the tailings ? Assume you have top and bottom sieves opened up a fair bit and the fan running as fast as you can without blowing grain out the back. The only time we have had this problem is in overfertilised rice that is green and leafy and has a lot of seeds that did not fill (we call them flatheads), Each flathead still has a drop of water in them so they have weight and they can overload the system.
As for solutions , depends on your local climate. Which State are you in? If it is very humid or damp it won't help.Can you harvest the areas where you are getting most of the problems in the warmest part of the day, or is uniformly problematic everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Chw

Sieves are wide open 25/17, concaves on 16, fan on 1000. Only able to go 1.8mph with 40ft head and Iím fine with that but I still have to get out machine 10 times a day to unchoke return. I know itís not the head holding me back bc my neighbor cuts with me with his 9870 with 30ft head and he can literally cut circles around me. Iím in south LA so humidity is as bad as it gets anywhere in US. Leafy or ďthinĒ rice doesnít matter still chokes return with actual filled grains not just chaff. Machine has been sent back to dealership half a dozen times to attempt to ďmake it cutĒ. Iíve spent 100k trying every possible combo of parts. Iím contemplating just going to a stripper header but Iíve heard they shatter hybrids and thatís all I grow. From what I have read on these S series combines the Active Failings(tailings) is located where it will inevitably have issues filling with clean grain in most cereals.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Chw

I will try increasing fan speed. I never really did out of fear of blowing grain out the back. I guess I need to set up a catch pan to see if it actually will.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Chw

I may also perform a stall stop test to see if the sieves are processing material evenly...I did notice that my shoe augers are much more worn on the left side of machine. Does this matter? Will cover plates help even this out?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
I know the S series in my area will plug tailing in weeds or wet, green, wheat. Not sure what people do to fix this. Most STS do also but not as bad. How does it get into tailings, anyone? All the way over the sieve or falling in at the precleaner and getting to tailings a different route? I have not ran to many with this problem so I have not looked into it. My dad has a 9770sts that will never plug tailings. Also has less capacity. I have never seen it even touch 1000bu/hr in wheat with out throwing over. I also can't make the tailings plug if I try. Does a great job cutting wheat and barley.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:29 AM
cnd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Harvesting HRS here in ND. Have all the goodies from Precision in our S680 plus the sieve extension from HSI (Harvest Solutions, Inc out of Oregon) This is on a 13 model so owner of HSI said to also add the fan relocate brackets. Works great. My return volume is normally at 2 bars. Have the top set at 16 the whole length of chaffer and bottom at 8, sample is almost too clean.
bjtjjl likes this.

Isaak Farms
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you want to understand how clean grain gets in the tailings system on the S series, go to harvestsolutionsinc.com and read the essay on this issue. The extension cuts load on rethresher to the point that it can work as designed. Still a bad idea, but it will work if not overloaded.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I guess the gremlins got the essay the last time the website was updated. I'll have to scan the hard copy I have and repost it here. Sorry for the screw up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in