looking to buy 1st combine, opinions? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: looking to buy 1st combine, opinions?

For that amount of acres a ih 1660 in good condition with a 20 ft head and 4 row corn head can be bought for under 40 thousand leaving you some money for a grain cart and truck. Ih combines are extremely simple and easy to work on. As for what to check, check every plac that grain or crop material flows for places that are worn through, augers, chains, shaker bushinhs,etc. As a general rule of thumb ih combines are better in corn and Deere combines are better in beans unless the beans are dry and then it's a wash. With any brand of combine, expect plenty of downtime until you learn the machine and how to work on it. If you keep the machine a while, it will get easier as the years go on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I second the Axial-Flow. They are simple and easier to work on and even clean, than a Maximizer. If you find a really good one, it will live many years with proper care, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Maybe cruz can only see things in green?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 PM

looking to buy 1st combine, opinions?

thanks in advance for opinions, and info.

1. I will be harvesting about 450 acres, half corn and half beans.

2. I wish to get a combine that I will use for the next 10 years or more, so I want to get the right combine. I am currently thinking 9400 or 9500, or 9410/9510 depending on what I find in the best condition at the right price

3. what do I need to look for when looking at a used combine. as I have never had a combine I am a little nervous of having problems. My father sold our old jd 4400 15 years ago when I was 12, "when grandpa retired" so I have never worked on a combine, only vague memories of riding with my grandpa, as he did all of our harvesting.

4. the reason I am now looking to buy a combine is that I plan to take over the farm in the coming years, and next year I will be in half and half with my father and I cant see paying to have the crops harvested. when I can do it myself. and start paying for some equipment instead of just giving the money to someone else.

and in the end I am looking to spend around 60-70k total with a good 18 or 20' bean head and 6 or 8 row narrow corn head. and are there any options/features on the combine that I should look for.

again thanks for the advice in advance.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Actually, I meant to also say to look for a 1660 or even a 1666, which is closer to a 9500 in capacity. The price will again, be roughly the same, depending on condition of the machine.

I still will contend the Flow is easier to work on, if simplicity is another criterion.

|
|
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Go with a 9500 or 9510, they are aesy to work on and you will have the greatest dealer support.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Hire your combining done and spend your money on a planter and sprayer. You will have much more money in your pocket. Spraying your own crop will both save you money on the chemicals and force you to look over your fields when you can actually learn something about what kind of planting job you did and how well your crops are growing.

Find a farmer with a newer combine in your area and work out an agreement to help him with harvest if he will cut your crop on a timely basis. Almost every one is short of help at harvest time.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 PM

good to know about the 1660/1666,

ease of use is a good thing.

as far as red or green either is OK, as both case ih and Deere dealers are very nearby, I would probably stay away from gleaner as there is not a very close dealer that I know of.

thanks again for the input
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM

"bent" we have planters/sprayers, and we currently hire another farmer to harvest our crops, however at close to 20000 per year for harvest/trucking I feel I would be ahead after 4 or 5 years
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Actually for the money you are considering investing you could probably buy a descent 2188, the round cab is sooooo much nicer trust me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page