SORGHUM PLANTING JANUARY 09 [These Pics Work! - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Blogger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SORGHUM PLANTING JANUARY 09 [These Pics Work!

As you know the last thread was a fail. So Here I go again with a different hosting site. These are the long awaited photos from January of this year.. I'll also add they are horribly mixed so please deal with it =)

For those wondering the Varietys of Sorghum we used where MR BUSTER and one of the Pioneer ones. I'd recognize the name of it if you showed me haha.

Here we have the fert loading setup. Rather then using the Chaser Bin like 2008 we just slapped the loader onto the 7810 and used it.

This is the view I had for the majority of the Sorghum planting. This is the 60ft Multiplanter we use. Its set up for 12 seeding tynes operating at 1m intervals with all other tines that are inbetween drilling Urea. The Seed tynes are the ones with the Airflow Neautralizers (or Orange Hats as i call them)

Another picture from the Letterbox paddock. Covered alotta Ha's in that day.

Same Day, Same Paddock.

A Shower off to the South West, Same day.

Another Paddock, Another day, Here we're in the Salt Bore. We See Camel (the bloke in white) takiun the bag.

Later that Day, nice Sunset while refueling

A View from the Airseeder while in motion.

After that we hitched up the Chisel Plough onto the 9320 and the Potholer (its like a Prickle Chain only bigger) onto the 7810 and worked some ground. had a paddock with thick Feathertop Rhodes grass and this lovely weedy crud that likes getting caught in the plough -.-

Cool pic of me rig!

Passing Camel who manned the 7810 and the wild ol' potholer. hah ah he reckons the thing collapsed its wings and tryed to fold in when you turned to sharp

The two tractors parked up for Lunch. Camel in between

Camel an I making a quick pass.

AFTER That fun with the plough we slapped the planter back on and got stuck into it! this paddock is seperated into East West (the longer runs) and North South runs. Jarrod (camel) and I worked up the North South runs. We only worked up the most northern Runs. there is a gulley that seperates a part of the North South runs from the rest.

The Headland of the North South Runs. Southern End on the part we didnt work.

The Next Day, Up at the crisp hours to get started. Planting the East West Runs here. Was a great day for planting.

Same Day as the East West. You might recognize where this is from the tillage pics! On the North South runs. Had a small shower hit us while planting. wasnt enough to stop us. barely wet the crust up.

View from the bonnet on that erm "damper" run. Same day.

Fillin the seeder in the dark.

After The Sorghum was finished we changed the Configurations on the Airseeder an re-routed all the tines to seed so we could plant something different. We planted That sic Legume/Pasture..ah idk what its classed as in a few paddocks for Nitrogen. Heres the pics!

Planting into some wheat stubble on the range.

Camel Spelling me on the planter.

The Planters Spread from the back. Fair size.

An for the sake of it heres a picture of the Seed tine an presswheel setup. Cleaned this tine an Presswheel off just for my best buddies here. haha

Please tell me of any technical issues, I have a swag full of more pics so sing out if you want more. Also happy to answer ANY! questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 AM

Re: SORGHUM PLANTING JANUARY 09 [These Pics Work!

hey, nice to finally see these pictures up.. That thing is a monster compared to our two 12m John Deere max emerge planters. How did the sorghum average out? Our laterstuff didnt go as good as our early stuff. Our early stuff went aout 9-10t/ha and our late stuff went about 5t/ha. so yeah....were abouts is this???thanks

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Blogger

This is taken at the Family property in Central QLD. about 20 minutes North of Theodore. Its inbetween Theodore and Moura. and yeah the Sorghum only came off about about a ton to the acre i think. alotta places where just under a ton to the acre.

But this is because it got good establishment rains and then didnt get bugger all rain on it for the majority of its growing season. bit of a shame really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Welcome back! I'm glad to finally see these pics. Cool stuff.

Do you guys usually have two years of sorghum in a row? We've got an 80ac field of sorghum behind sorghum, but that isn't really standard operating procedure around here. Most of ours is planted into wheat stubble. It makes it a little easier to keep the weeds out of it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Blogger

Thanks mate, Glad to be back.

You know I really couldnt tell you much about the rotations because I've only really been involved over the past two years.

But over that time the rotations have been pretty minimal, only a few paddocks have changed, Like the paddock that had the Corn trial in it, thats usually a Sorghum paddock.

Oh thinking now a few have changed. from what I can geuss I'd imagine its on a two year rotation. Because I remember in 2007 one paddock had Sorghum in it and over the past two years its had wheat planted into it.

Next time I'm up there i'll be sure to ask em for ya mate. thats got me thinkin about that now haha.

Cheers,
Jacob.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Blogger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jacob, these are some very awesome pictures!!!! Thanks for sharing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Blogger

Nice Pictures!

Why singles on that 9320?

Eric
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:33 AM

They do controlled traffic, Eric. Notice the wide tread width on both tractors so they can go down tramlines.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pics. We would have a hard time getting that 7810 through out gates into fields!

Pardon the ignorance, but I'm not sure what controlled traffic is or tramlines are.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Controlled traffic is a way of reducing compaction by having every pass through the field run in the same tracks. Tramlines are just dedicated pathways for tractors, sprayers, and the like to run in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page