suffering with insomnia - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
tc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
suffering with insomnia

how do you deal with it? I often have a problem sleeping ill wake at all hours of the morning and begin the day farming in my head. last good sleep was friday put in 25 straight hrs and rained out. bed at 4:30 am and slept till 10:00. the exhaustion helped. work,famliy, decisions all suffer from insomnia and those that sleep well dont understand

"poor day if you didn't learn something"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
When you figure it out, please let me know. Seriously, I feel your pain. Being exhausted does help you put in a full night, it's about the only way I know how.

Alcohol does NOT help. Weed might but I'm not going there, that's been too long ago, and I don't want to smoke with the way my lungs already are!

I've taken unisom, feel twice as tired the following morning. I was perscribed Ambien a few years ago for a few weeks. That stuff will KNOCK YOU OUT. One time the wife and I had a nice little "session", and the following morning I couldn not remember the end of it, I had to ask her if we finished out ok or if she had to roll me off. Anyway, after about 6 days of Ambien, I'd fall right to sleep but still wake up at 2:30, then be 3 times as tired the next day.

One thing that did help me, and I need to get some dimes to rub together to do it again, is Vitamin D and breathing exercises in a tub. Massive doses of Vitamin D, like 5 to 8 times the "USRDA". The right practitioner can help you here, for me it was a chiropractor, then you get a tub and breathe deeply. When you breathe in, you relax your abs / stomach and breathe all the way down in there. Most people incorrectly "breathe deeply" by lifting their diaphragm and shoulders. You know you've got it right when you feel like you start to float in the water, because the air is down that deep. That's why the tub, and the warm water is relaxing anyway. May sound weird, but I've had sleep studies, drugs, etc., and it was the only thing that made progress for me.

Good luck, and be careful.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Last edited by tbone95; 10-15-2013 at 09:31 AM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
tc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i know the breathing thing helps sleep best with arms above head???? dont get to "floating feeling " near enough cant sit through news at end of day without falling asleep but stare at dark ceiling at 3:00 tried the sleep aids even half pills fall asleep standing but dont remain sleeping long enough. and have the morning after "fuzzy head"

"poor day if you didn't learn something"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Yeah, fall asleep in a tub and drown isn't the plan!

The vitamin D theory goes something like you're supposed to be out in the sun and work, then go to sleep in the dark. After years of working through the wee hours of the night and morning, and living N of the 45 (or on it like I do), and you're in a cab, or whatever, you don't get the vitamin D from the sun and it's compounded by how much you've screwed your cycle up with all the work, stress, etc.

Ain't life grand? Growing up sucks, growing old is worse, but it still beats the alternative.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Very serious problem but it is fixable. I suffered from it 20 years until i understood it. Running business, raising kids, farming, construction. It was all fun, but it took a toll. This is just a suggestion that worked for me. Start a routine with what you can control. We all farm and put in long hours at certain times. Eat nothing past 7 pm, nothing, just water. No inet or texting past 8pm. Your mind controls the body, and you have to train it for what you want. I'm much happier now that i accepted these rules. Imo, it can be done, accept the fact that not every night is going to be perfect, but if the body knows a routine, it does help out very much with sleep issue. Cant hurt to give it a try.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
I too feel for what you are going through. I have done the 3 and 4 day straight thing and it gets pretty depressing at times. At the height of it I managed to stay awake 10 days, NOT FUN! One thing to be an insomniac during seeding and harvest, totally another to be that way in the dead of winter.

Had several chats with doctors, and with my history of reaction to medications, I pretty much told them that I was not willing to try prescription drug route as some of the side effects I have are less than desirable to put it mildly.

So far the best result I have found for the winter insomnia is exercise. Not the running on a treadmill type but just plain shear weight lifting. For true!! Lift until failure for me. Seems that vigorous exercise and strength training, for me, gets all the hormones back in line and then sleep comes way easier. It was a great relief to go from 3 and 4 day stretches of tired, dragging your butt around unproductive, to feeling rested and ready to go.

Summer time puts a halt to much of the weight training, but there is other tasks that can be put in place to give you that extra boost of calorie burning necessary to keep things in line. I always dreaded shoveling grain, now if I have time, I prefer it over a grain vac. I tend to take on the dreaded physical labour as a way of getting myself moving and getting my blood pressure up in a good way.

The side benefit for me is that I also eat better and I have managed to drop my weight from 270 lbs. to 225. Joints don't hurt as much and I am actually more relaxed than ever. I still get short bouts of insomnia but not like I use to. I have also got better at recognising the signs that tell me I have to do more physical labour and get the body to exhaustion instead of the mind.

There is something out there for everyone that will help. Mine took me over 10 years to find, and I am quite enjoying it. I hope you find something that will help with yours TC. I know how bad it can get.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
hmm it appears its an issue with farmers I am sorta an insomniac I sleep only maybe 6 hrs anyways but sometimes I cant get to sleep till 4 am girlfriends up at 6 im up at 7 so really shorts me on sleep I drink lots of coffee in the winter I drive truck so its easy I just drive till I get tired sometimes all night its exactly what you guys say though your mind doenst stop I guess cuz im always thinking about the farm running numbers in my head to see if I am going to break even etc etc planning on what to do the next day who I gotta call what I gotta do in town etc I wouldn't say my insominia is severe though its just annoying sometimes
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Try a herb like Valerian Root, or 5 HTP. Works for me. Make sure the room is pitch black too. It's not easy to shut off the farm.

Finally harvest is over for us.... still COLD, getting COLDER(
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 AM
tmk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Years back my dad started taking Melatonin which he would purchase when in the U.S. Now I believe it is available in Canadian health food stores . Dad claimed it helped him get a good nights sleep . Google melatonin it is remarkable how a lack of certain natural substances affect the human body and I hope that you may find it to help with your sleep problems . Good luck .

God Is Great
Beer Is Good
And People Are Crazy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Ah, Valerian Root! Labrador Pills I call it (smells like dog sh!t). Relaxes a guy a bit, but never helped me actually sleep.

Melatonin is one of the chemicals naturally in your body controlling your sleep cycle, so that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page