Year around the world harvesting? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Year around the world harvesting?

Hi everybody,

I'm 24 about to graduate from college at Iowa State. I've been on the harvest run or a part of it the last 4 years. I love it. Now a few buddies and I are looking to go to AUS to harvest in 2018 with PJ Harvesting. Hoping to hear from them soon, but feel free to drop another name or email. I have also gained some interest in farming in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. When is their harvest season? is it Possible to harvest around the world in a year? The US harvest really starts in early to mid may and can go to late November. Then AUS starts in October- January Who's next?

If anyone knows of place to look at jobs in the UK or elsewhere for farming id love to hear more!

Thanks, John Jenkins

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:24 AM
Carn the Cats

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Big contractors in AUS are extinct now John. Poor Harvest rates not going up with inflation and farmers buying big new machines and then going contracting have really had a big effect on the large contract teams.

Some others:
Bingham Harvesting - JD’s
NorthHill Harvesting - CIH
Bourke Harvesting - CIH
Harris Pastoral - CIH, you will find this guy on this forum - marcus1
Dowling Bros Farming - CIH

DO NOT go any where near Radford Harvesting........

There’s a lot of Big time farmers that own a lot of machines but this wouldn’t suit you if you want to travel.

The harvest run in AUS is very short now days. Pretty much all 4 eastern states are going at the same time...........except for the early start in QLD and late finish in Southern VIC, SA.

I strongly suggest register or at least talk with AGWorkforce, Toowoomba QLD. They are a Labour Placement mob with a lot of clients..........

Place an Add with the ACH website or contact Rod via this forum, he is the President and could point you in the right direction for the Social Media aspect. I don’t do any of that and I don’t know how to post links here...........

Good luck.
Haven’t heard anything negative about PJ. He gets the JD test gear..........

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
Big contractors in AUS are extinct now John. Poor Harvest rates not going up with inflation and farmers buying big new machines and then going contracting have really had a big effect on the large contract teams.

Some others:
Bingham Harvesting - JDís
Bourke Harvesting - CIH

Thereís a lot of Big time farmers that own a lot of machines but this wouldnít suit you if you want to travel.

The harvest run in AUS is very short now days. Pretty much all 4 eastern states are going at the same time...........except for the early start in QLD and late finish in Southern VIC, SA.

I strongly suggest register or at least talk with AGWorkforce, Toowoomba QLD. They are a Labour Placement mob with a lot of clients..........

Place an Add with the ACH website or contact Rod via this forum, he is the President and could point you in the right direction for the Social Media aspect. I donít do any of that and I donít know how to post links here...........

Good luck.
Havenít heard anything negative about PJ. He gets the JD test gear..........
Phantom970 Thank you for the good information! It's somewhat disappointing to hear about the way contracting is going but, I guess that's the way it goes. I don't think we would be opposed to working with some large farms as long as there is quite a bit of work and decent pay. I will look into AGWorkforce and the others. That is one of our reasons to work with PJ, I have been working with some experimental stuff here (active yield and other various things) and got his name through some other Deere guys.

Is there any Claas machine down there?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 PM
Carn the Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenki46 View Post

Is there any Claas machine down there?

Thank you!

Yeh thereís a few contracting, a lot of big acreage farmers up north have them for their own farm machines. Plenty of farmers on the east coast have one for farm work.

Dealer network is an issue due to our sparce Farming population.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
pretty sure new Zealand would be in January and February would be similar to farming in the uk yield and the intensity wise. Also interested in going to australia next winter only problem is gotta finish our own harvest on the farm before leaving lol.

Last edited by johndeereboy; 02-17-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post

Some others:
Bingham Harvesting - JDís
Bourke Harvesting - CIH

Thereís a lot of Big time farmers that own a lot of machines but this wouldnít suit you if you want to travel.

Place an Add with the ACH website or contact Rod via this forum, he is the President and could point you in the right direction for the Social Media aspect. I donít do any of that and I donít know how to post links here...........

Good luck.
Havenít heard anything negative about PJ. He gets the JD test gear..........
what is wrong with radford harvesting looks like they have some nice machines. Does this mean that farming is getting better in australia if farmers are buying there own machines or are contractors not doing a proper job compared to farmers.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeereboy View Post
Does this mean that farming is getting better in australia if farmers are buying there own machines or are contractors not doing a proper job compared to farmers.
NO its called timing everyone wants you same day
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I spent a year in Auz. Great experience, did harvest run from Northern NSW to Southern Victoria with Wcwhitter Harvesting (not sure on spelling) I did a little searching on internet but canít find any info on them. May have went under due to above mentioned reasons. Think they were out of Dubbo? Was a lot of years ago now, they had prototype JD rotary (STS) with a couple engineers running around with his 9600 and 9610ís. May be different now but back then they drove combines everywhere, we slept in old shearing sheds and a lot of times in the combine. Didnít take me long to invest in a swag.

After that went to north of Perth and worked on a big farm during the seeding season. Great experience as well.

Did a couple partial US harvests when I was younger. Especially enjoyed the year went down after harvest here to New Mexico to harvest sorghum then up the Kansas and Nebraska to harvest corn. Probably because I hadnít seen that before.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mags; 02-18-2018 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:00 AM
Carn the Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
I spent a year in Auz. Great experience, did harvest run from Northern NSW to Southern Victoria with Wcwhitter Harvesting (not sure on spelling)

Yeh, Fred Mcwhirter. Had a heap of Johnnyís.
You were here in the better times,
This was back in the days when the harvest run was longer and crop maturity more staggered. Surely you remember all his daughters who used to run the machines........... they attracted plenty of attention in the AG world for obvious reasons........

He is still about, priority is Farming for himself now, not so much contracting.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:10 AM
Carn the Cats

[QUOTE Does this mean that farming is getting better in australia if farmers are buying there own machines or are contractors not doing a proper job compared to farmers.[/QUOTE]

Like Newfarmac said plus a few more reasons:

A lot of farmers sons have come home to the farms and it seems the first thing they do is update the old 8820 and get the new S690 and go conquer the contracting world.......

Thereís been some wet harvests and farmers havenít had their crop off in time........

As soon as a grower has to pay $100k or more in contractor costs they think they should own their own..........

The 100% contractors only, have slowly died out of the system due to old age, illness or just plain old - thereís no money in it. Minimal profit. At the end of the day you bust your ass and sacrifice family life to end up with worn out old gear worth nothing......

There is the odd horror story of shoddy work from contractors who donít give a rats ass...... work is that hard to come by iam often surprised at this.........

Farming practices are slowly giving better production results but not enough to justify ownership........

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page