Rocky Mountain Equipment Manitoba - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Of the ones I mentioned not a single JD. is family owned. One CaseIh and one Versatile with 2 locations and the rest are AGCO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
They lost me as a customer in 2014. I used to have an entire yard full of red paint and was a reliable 1-2 year flip guy, my trades rarely saw the lot. When it changed from Miller Equipment to RME you could see the trajectory turn downward.

I'm not going to claim intimate knowledge of how their internal operations are run, but here is hopefully some constructive criticism.
>Less control at the local dealer level, move away from store managers
>Sales, Parts and Service dep't seem to be tracked separately with incentives given to each. This leads to an "each for their own" mentality, instead of working together. Seems every deal ends up involving all three departments in some way, so they need to be on same page and not fighting with eachother.
>Seems to be a bias to sales guys operating off commission. Ag is a cyclical business and good employees should not be wondering where their next paycheck is coming from.
>Need to keep good employees and keep them interested and engaged. Ask for their input. Everything seems to be a top-down management structure which is wrong.

Other issues have been:
>CNH has had a decline in product quality, too much cost cutting with Chinese parts and poor build quality.
>Rapid rise in cost of equipment. This is not the fault of the dealers necessarily but IMO will lead to the widespread failure of the industry as we know it. This is completely unsustainable and I'm guessing the whole ponzi scheme collapses within 5-10 years.
>An industry-wide move toward glamorizing equipment. This can be blamed first on JD but everyone is participating these days. Look at the buildings these guys are putting up and the service trucks they drive, WE PAY FOR ALL THAT CRAP!!! This is a huge problem. It's just equipment and it does not make a farm successful, it's neccesary to have it but it's only one line on the balance sheet. Smart managers look for ways to minimize that line, not make it bigger and they don't care how it looks to the neighbors. It has to start being run like a business again...

Hopefully that was helpful. Our local store recently hired on one of the previous guys that was key in the "Miller Equipment days", I have modest hope that he is allowed to change a few things, will wait and see.

Border Farmer and s6704940 like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:16 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Well, that and they sell the wrong combine SW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Well, that and they sell the wrong combine SW!
My decision to leave was made before I ever knew that. This isn't about my combine, it's about doing business with someone you can trust. The whole "Dependable is what we do" slogan was the biggest joke among Manitoba farmers for quite awhile.

Goes back to my point about glamorizing equipment. No amount of advertising makes you reliable, just like no amount of propaganda makes the equipment work better, or worth the price. In the so eloquent words of W...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
In the so eloquent words of W...
Yes, that is so eloquent...now.
Shows you where the bottom of the barrel is now.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Farmer View Post
Of the ones I mentioned not a single JD. is family owned. One CaseIh and one Versatile with 2 locations and the rest are AGCO.
Valley Side sales went broke. Brownlee ag has changed hands but another family owns it.

Donít suspect there are any one shop Deere locations left.

Brent.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Very few in Manitoba, of the main line equipment anyways, a few more in the southern part of Manitoba. To get New Holland stuff, no choices.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
My beef isnt directly with the RME in Manitoba. In fact, Ive never spoken with anyone there. That location had a combine listed on tractorhouse, but the number attached was a satellite location in Kansas. Id typically think that is odd, but as big ad dealers are trying to get, Im sure my next call will be redirected to a call center in India.

Anyways, that guy represented the combine with pretty much the exact pictures I had already seen and serial number. He was only good for talking numbers and freight.

Where it pissed me off is the fact that we had been talking for a week and a half, and only on the morning I made an offer and was ready to sign on the dotted line, that new pictures popped up of extensive damage. He then wanted to just renegotiate price. I wasnt really interested and moved to my backup option.

But he asked if I wanted to speak to the previous owner so I said yes. I just felt something fishy was up, so I waited a few hours to call, probably around lunch time in that part of the world. "Previous owner" did not answer and it went to a voicemail that said " youve reached rocky mountain equipment".

That was enough for me.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Ron.Koster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
Valley Side sales went broke. Brownlee ag has changed hands but another family owns it.

Donít suspect there are any one shop Deere locations left.
Not in Sask but in Manitoba there is a few. Greenland Equipment in Carman, Reit-Syd Equipment in Dauphin, and S H Dayton in Shoal Lake.
bjtjjl and Border Farmer like this.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Farmer View Post
Nicks service Regina, Cropper Motors Naicam, RJ Sales Wadena, A.E. Chicoine Storthoaks. Wynard Equipment Sales, Wheatbelt Sales, Brownlee Ag Services. Valley Side Sales

Hergotts in Humboldt Caseih..
The only place we buy now..Treated excellent every time...All very friendly staff...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page