Small Farm start up - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I would say if it’s your dream then go for it. If your in if for the money it will be break even at best. If you just want to run nice new equipment and have no stress rent the land out and find a neighbour to help out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Asking here for advice is like asking a couple of drunks at the bar if you should have another drink.

There should be some local sources for budgets. Look at those numbers and see what you think. Then factor in those numbers came from experienced operators. The learning curve in this business is steep, and for you it will all be on your dime.

80 acres isn't enough land to buy junk yard equipment.

Absk has the best advise, find a neighbor to help. It gets you some experience and first hand knowledge while you are getting paid.

post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good think I like to drink every now and then. Don’t mind helping a neighbor out but not really what I’m after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

With our initial numbers(planning worst case) we get a loss, but get 5bushels/acre or a decent market price and we’re smilling. Crazy how big a difference it is by changing the variables by the smallest amounts.
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Why not? If you have the land go play. Like you said, just hire the neighbor for a year or longer as he can just jump the fence.

Old iron prices are about bottomed out so should be able to find some equipment over time. If it doesn't work out most should already be bottomed out so put it for sale get a boat and fish...
kevlar likes this.
post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I can understand your situation. I farm a 1/2 section, I also have a business welding/supervising in the oilfield and for a few locals. When I started my goal was to be able to make my land payments and expenses without needing money from any other source. and have some left over to upgrade equipment etc. That is very doable. You can fix your own stuff that is a must. My question would be how flexible is your job time wise and are you able to do everything alone if need be? If your father in law can help that’s great but he won’t be there forever. When I first started Dad would help with harvest or running equipment if I had to go weld for a local, but the last 3 years his health hasn’t allowed him to do that. It made a big difference when he would start combining in the afternoon until I got home from work. If you are stuck at work all day you lose a lot of the best window especially at harvest.
PJakober likes this.
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

That is my thought process as well. Buy older as I can, and hire custom.
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

My job is pretty flexible, I don’t think I would have any trouble finding the time for harvest, as for help I have a lot around me some with experience some with out. I’ve got the 80 to play with and would eventually like to get the 1/4 beside it. My goal would be to make enough profit to make land payments.
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Absolutely go for it. If you're handy with a wrench, buy some old stuff and go. Do some honest budgeting, and maybe at least basic crop insurance, and start from the bottom up with old equipment. One of the neighbor boys here bot a 5k Versatile 4WD, a 7k Concord drill, picked up an old deep tiller from another neighbor for nothing and he's farming a bit. I sprayed some for them and his uncle and grandpa combined. You won't get rich but you can fulfill a dream and most years make a little.
There is a line (somewhere??) if you hire it all out, then don't expect much in return. Farming ground takes an investment of some money.
SouthernSK likes this.

Last edited by Cleancut; 09-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thats positive. Im trying to get all the angles thought through before committing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page