Late bloom haying - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
I'd rather put up green sticks than black hay...
Our cows lick up the "black hay" and tend to leave the "green sticks". Lol

Having said that, trying to get hay to dry on top of mud doesn't work so good. Our hay is mid bloom and we're usually givin' er but it's a bit wet right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfunk View Post
Our cows lick up the "black hay" and tend to leave the "green sticks". Lol

Having said that, trying to get hay to dry on top of mud doesn't work so good. Our hay is mid bloom and we're usually givin' er but it's a bit wet right now.

There are a couple neighbors that cut some straight alfalfa this spring and had it a day away from being ready to bale when it started to rain. Over the course of a week, we got 2" of rain (extremely unusual for this area) and some 80 weather in between showers. That hay is literally BLACK - not brown, not dark brown, but black. I think a cow would have a hard time deciding between this hay and a snow bank for food...

garyfunk likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken do View Post
Protein drops like a rock when bloom starts, when I had dairy cows I cut when the first flower opened. The dairys now cut in the bud stage in may,second crop now.

Dairies around here chop and ensile all their first so they don't have to worry about rain or losing quality. Then they can focus on getting the best quality out of 2nd - 4th cuttings.

I just need a couple thousand head of beef cows so I can do the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Dairies around here chop and ensile all their first so they don't have to worry about rain or losing quality. Then they can focus on getting the best quality out of 2nd - 4th cuttings.
This is us pretty much. Manage our closer to home straight alfalfa fields aggressively enough to chop first cut around 10% bloom. Although that was almost third week of May when it was 6" high this year. Thankfully it rained a few inches during the last week of May, so it was kinda only 20% bloom but 3x as high when we took it during the first week of June.

Our further away fields, and anything mixed or straight grass, gets done as reasonably soon after chopping is done. We are still cleaning up a few fields right now, may be able to take a second cut on the straight alfalfa in a few weeks. We've only taken a third every 5-6 years, never a fourth as far as I can remember. Life on the edge of the palliser triangle....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page