Tell me about grain silage - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By X80

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Tell me about grain silage

So I sowed barley and serradella in last week of March and itís all in ear now, mostly at milky dough stage and more advanced. There is a feed shortage all around me and Iíve been courting offers to turn it into haylige but in the whole nobody is ready to act. So remaining ideas are to run 7.5km of Hotwire around it and adgist cattle on it or I roundup out the barley with a wick wiper and harvest it a week later with a combine at 25% moisture bag it and make grain silage.
DCA16861-D503-43B6-8289-491A7759CD92.jpeg
Questions are do I need to roll and crimp the grain going into the bag? Should I bury it instead? How long in the bag/pit would it need to be before it could be onsold?

Surely His goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life.

Last edited by nig71; 08-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:42 PM
X80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Alot is tuibe wrapped down home (total crop) - in big sqaures - haylage they just let dry a touch longer than silage - my friends do it and it works sweet. Only thing is if people want to buy and haul and store they cant.

Cattle will waste lots of it with tranmpling - so id be doing numbers agistment vesus haylage as you will loos 50% from trampling - sheep different story.

Other option is to individually wrap each bale of course - its deearest but can be sold to anyone anywhere and they can keep for 12-18 months depending on conditions.

If you cit at 100mm - id gues the barley and sarradella will shoot back - with your rain and provide some nice pick for sheep. I once sowed barley on dec 1st - cut for grain on 22nd March - went 5/tha - then the barley grew back in alot of it? had to nuke it ready for clover crop.

Personally id mow it off at 100mm - tube wrap half for locals and individulaly wrap half so if some farmer wants it and is 500km away he can pick it up and store it.

Then run sheep over it...

Ant...

nig71 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page