Mole Hills!! - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
That may be worth while whiteowl. Right now they are still in a few small areas so it may not be too bad to do. Certainly easier then poison of traps. Did you do it in spring or fall?

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
I think Nodust you have to knife the NH3 in with a banding machine. The idea is it crosses the tunnels and fumigates them. I don't think you would be effective in walking around and duplicating this procedure - it would be hit and miss. I have no experience but I have heard like Combine Pilot suggested. I wished we had some NH3 and applicators in our area. There are no nearby sources for it and yes I wished I could could get rid of them. Every time I level them out, they seem to come back with a vengeance!
We have knifed in NH3 since 1967 or 68 on the same fields.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Okay. Some of the oldtimers claimed that you could go out with a set of harrows at night too and kill them by harrowing them as the moles come out at night. I would have to assume that is another old wive's tale as well!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
I think Nodust you have to knife the NH3 in with a banding machine. The idea is it crosses the tunnels and fumigates them. I don't think you would be effective in walking around and duplicating this procedure - it would be hit and miss. I have no experience but I have heard like Combine Pilot suggested. I wished we had some NH3 and applicators in our area. There are no nearby sources for it and yes I wished I could could get rid of them. Every time I level them out, they seem to come back with a vengeance!
Well on prairie dogs it worked well(walk around pulling the tank with the pickup, 15ish seconds or so at full blast per hole) just watch the wind. I have also heard that straight nitrogen will sink at first and is a slightly less dangerous way of doing it(according to my neighbor it worked, according to "save the prairie dogs" groups it doesn't.)

Otherwise rodex is what worked well for us. Looks like wheat with green treatment on it. Put it out right before they stay down there (hibernation or whatever) when they're fattening up/gathering food.

I'm assuming it's not too much different. Rodex was/is made for gophers and moles. Also seen an ad for a guy that comes out with a propane truck and fills a hole at a time up and lights it off. Just said it may disturb the ground a little.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
timing didn't matter, because it chokes out the air throughout the entire run, so anything in the run chokes. You can trac the shallow runs by the gas coming thru thu the ground.Have even used this method on skunks and fox if they are problems ( I leave them alone unless they are nested in my yard, just because they are good mousers)
Combine Pilot likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
A little up date. Tried the giant killer since it was the cheapest option. Used one stick in the area shown. Its maybe 400 x400' and is the worst spot. I did put it out in the early evening. Not sure if that good or not as I found a few holes open. I am guessing the moles were out, but the dogs were with me and it made it easy to find holes. Its been about 3 days since I lit it and only a handful of mounds reappeared so I am quite happy with the results. I did figure I would need more then one, but I wanted to do a quick test. Now I know why my old dog was always out in the field and I never had a mole problem. Hopefully these 2 idiots figure out moles too lol.

Sorry for sideways pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181101_143936.jpg (2.03 MB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20181101_143928.jpg (2.30 MB, 79 views)

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Last edited by Beerwiser; 11-01-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: fix pics???
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I use Haukaas mole hill levelling shovels every spring on every acre of hay ground.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page