Greenfeed vs alfalfa grass mix - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
triticale will be the least palatable......

you wont know unless you try but I would suspect the millet will get choked out. Also some species have quite waxy exteriors and do not dry out at all so not the best to be putting in a bale.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Well looks like I'm going to be going with some forage oats. Supposed to be really leafy and good feed so we will see. Forgot about my fert that I had already put down so that limited me quite a bit in my options.

Now do I cut it with the swather and try get my hands on a wrapper or discbine and hope for it to dry? Has anyone ever used a tedder on a greenfeed crop to help dry time? Or would I loose to much grain by tedding then raking it?

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We wrapped peas and oats separately last year, cows clean up peas much better prob due to less stem. One field of oats I wrapped half and dried half they will devour the dry before everything else. Going to try oat/pea mix also but I want to undersow w/ clover (red(single cut/doublecut), white, and sweet) all on different fields leave/fall graze, soil test, spray out, seed into next year. Or take it off as hay next year then spray out, from what I've read clover adds more n after flowering. Possibly add tillage radish for tap root.
brazil08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Anybody tried leaving the oats dry standing, then swath and bale for feed? Will the cows just pick the grain out and leave the rest or do they clean it up? Or does the straw just get to coarse that they dont want to eat it?
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Animals will prever oats straw over other, but leaving oats till dry and then swathing and baling will have alot of grain loss.
adsinaus likes this.

Nou wat nou?
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Why don’t you make yellowfeed. Litre of glyphosate at the milk stage. Wait 2 weeks at least and bale behind the swather. About as weather resistant as can be.
bjtjjl likes this.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

That's the way I'm starting to lean a bit more is to turn it into yellow feed. Feel better about it drying standing. Wasnt to keen on spraying it but might be the best option yet.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoT View Post
Animals will prever oats straw over other, but leaving oats till dry and then swathing and baling will have alot of grain loss.
^This (or at least it will in Aus conditions). And yep they will hammer oat straw ie lick the feeders/ground clean; when you’re putting it out good oat straw or hay you can smell the sugar and sweetness.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
Why donít you make yellowfeed. Litre of glyphosate at the milk stage. Wait 2 weeks at least and bale behind the swather. About as weather resistant as can be.
Never heard of this. What is the difference in feed quality between this and say making oat hay the normal way? (at least the cows can't sue you for eating food with roundup on it) Suppose this way your chances of getting rain on a swath, waiting to dry is reduced.

Nou wat nou?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoT View Post
Never heard of this. What is the difference in feed quality between this and say making oat hay the normal way? (at least the cows can't sue you for eating food with roundup on it) Suppose this way your chances of getting rain on a swath, waiting to dry is reduced.
Studies done by sask ag said quality was the same. Far as glyphosate residue I donít remember off hand but think there were no issues. I do it off and on depending on the year. You spray when you would typically cut. Some years depending on weather you wait anywhere from 10 to even 21 days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page